roadrunner89

Reaction score
Meet Anelka... the boss! Former Chelsea ace in charge at Shanghai amid China crisis
View attachment 245306
Nicolas Anelka has been put in charge of Shanghai Shenhua.

The France striker, 33, was only lured to the big-spending Chinese outfit from Chelsea in January but has already taken his first steps into management.

Anelka is an unlikely candidate for management, having once been branded 'the Incredible Sulk' after falling out with several of his former clubs and having a reputation as a surly character.

But Anelka was handed his new role after Shanghai sacked their team's manager following a racist Argument.
He tweeted: 'It's official - I just become the new player-manager of Shanghai Shenhua.'

Shenhua confirmed the sackings, but no mention was made of boss Jean Tigana following speculation he had also been axed. However, reports suggest that Tigana is now negotiating a severance package.

A club statement read: 'Due to the team's record last season which has not met the expectations and demands of the club's fans, media and other parties and the fact the foreign players are in urgent need of high-quality training the club has made the decision to replace some members of the coaching staff.

'In addition, the team captain Nicolas Anelka will coach and participate in the team's daily training management.'
Anelka, who has also played for Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bolton and Galatsaray, is the most high-profile foreign footballer to sign for the Chinese league.

Shenhua finished in the bottom half of the table last season

Could be a really good story mate, work at it and you will get there :)

P.s - returning the comment ;)

Anelka face’s struggle during pre-seasonView attachment 245895
Nicolas Anelka faced tough tests during pre season but managed to pull through; Anelka faced teams like Dongya, Suwon and At. Madrid but Anelka managed to pull the team through all the hurdles.

Dongya 1 - 1 Shenhua

Shenhua 0 – 0 Daejon

Shenhua 2 – 2 Suwon

Shenhua 1 – 2 At. Madrid

CD Laoyou 0 – 2 Shenhua

Zhongbang 0 – 3 Shenhua

Anelka managed three draws a loss and two wins during pre-season, which should put his Shenhua side in the driving seat to kick off the first season on Anelka’s managerial career.

Last edited:
April 2012
View attachment 245922
in an amazing run by Nicolas Anelka’s Shanghai Shenhua, Anelka has managed to push for second place in the Chinesse Super League.

The board this season told Anelka that they expected nothing less than a Champions League spot and Anelka is pushing through hard, Anelka who has played every game this season for his club said that he’s “delighted with how fast the team have responded to him” and that “he’s amazed that they bonded so quickly”.

The fans of Shenhua have packed the stadium every home game and filling all available seats at away games, Shenhua who at the start of the season were expected to finish mid-table are amazing pundits and journalists alike.

Many fans are hoping for silverware this season only time will tell if Anelka can be the first person in 9 years to win the Super League.

May 2012
View attachment 245939
In an amazing month by Shenhua, Anelka leads his troops into top of the league and unbeaten in 11.

Anelka said this “im pleased with how were playing in both the league and cup, were knocking the ball around as if we were Barcelona and scoring goals for fun too, im enjoying being here very much and looking forward to the next couple of seasons in this league”.

Anelka is enjoying life as player-manager of Shenhua playing in all 11 games and scoring 5 goals to help his teams cause, however Anelka who gave the opportunity for Cai Huajun to come through his Shenhua team has re-paid Anelka’s faith by leading the scoring charts with an incredible 12 goals in 11 match’s.

Huajun 18, is currently being watched by Lazio, a spokesperson for the club said this “its true we’ve been watching Cai very closely he’s very talented and we want to bring him to this club to further his career, but we don’t want to rush him and brake a brilliant player”.

What lie’s for Anelka and his Shenhua side next month, stay tuned im sure we’ll find out.

June 2012
View attachment 246071

With the transfer window opening Anelka brought in 2 new products for the youth system, bringing in Chinese born, Japanese Tetsu Yamazaki and Yang Lin.

Anelka only had to prepare his side to face 3 teams this month and continuing his run to an amazing 14 games unbeaten, Anelka said this “we’ve been practicing drills to see out the game and not to concede late in the game, and everyone is eager to play and showing a lot of fight in them, each and everyone of my players want silverware this season and i feel sorry for any team that stands in our way”.

Anelka has been guiding his team to unbelievable feats this season picking up only 2 draws while guiding his team to 12 wins.

Anelka will be in the driving seat now going into the later stages of the season.

July 2012
View attachment 246085

With Anelka destined to lose some of his star players due to the Olympics, he turned to the reserves.

Anelka who said this “we’ve lost many of players due to the Olympics and im not happy, i’ve had this squad since day 1 and now i have to turn to players that i think are not ready for a first team step up yet, but life goes on. I know this team wants silverware even if there not first team players”.

Anelka even with his losses managed to continue his unbeaten run and extend the title hope’s even more.

Anelka’s got one hand on the trophy and leading the pack to a grandstand finish.

August 2012
View attachment 246092

In a short month for Shanghai Shenhua, Anelka managed to guide his team extend the current streak, Anelka 33 said this “were looking more and more like a unit, if you look at the good teams – Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea you see that it’s that bond that makes them play so fluidly”.

Anelka also went on to say that “none of his players were for sale” and he is “not interested in listening to offers”.

With the end of the season now so close and the gap at the top extending more and more Anelka will be looking at his more experienced players to guide the youngsters.

September 2012
View attachment 246093

Anelka’s Shenhua fight off again to retain their number 1 spot in the Super League, Anelka’s team went all out to continue the streak and too much surprise it’s still on, Anelka now has managed to guide his team onto the right formula.

Anelka who signed for Shenhua in January did not expect to be offered the coaching job at Shenhua, but when he was offered the job he took it under his stride, Didier Drogba has been spotted around the ground with him out of contract many expect he’s catching up with his old strike partner. But rumours are Anelka is trying to get Drogba to join him at this new club.

Shenhua managed to keep the streak alive and the dream of becoming Super League champions.

October 2012
View attachment 246095

In a busy month for Anelka he guided his Shenhua side to even more victories.

Anelka who is currently top scorer for his club said this “when i took over as manager i didn’t think i would play myself as much, but i’ve come across this form that i can’t get rid of”.

Anelka has bagged 4 goals in 4 games this month as his total is 23 already this season.

With only 1 month left Anelka’s Shenhua side are completely dominant.

November 2012
View attachment 246096

CHAMPIONS.
View attachment 246097

Shanghai Shenhua today were made champions of the Super League, Anelka had this to say “we’ve played terrific all season not losing a single game and that will go with us into next season, my plan is to make this the greatest Chinese team in history and i believe i can achieve exactly that”.

Shenhua went all season unbeaten only drawing twice, many friends of Anelka have took to social networking site’s like Twitter to congratulate the French manager.

@Skalhuno – Congratulations mate very proud.

@DavidLuiz_4 – An amazing achievement very happy for you.

@realflorentm – Many people thought you couldn’t do it i knew you could well done my friend.

But Anelka cannot rest because he still has to rally his troops together for the Chinese FA Cup clash with Tianjin in a week’s time.

Can Anelka bring to trophies in 1 season, who knows?

FA Cup Semi
View attachment 246098

Anelka masterminded his team to another victory today to put him in the final of the FA cup.

Anelka managed to join his players on the score sheet before managing to celebrate his tremendous feat, Many people expected Shenhua to maybe get to the quarter’s never mind the final.

Anelka had this to say “its a tremendous feat by the lads and im so proud of them, im speechless”.

Well Anelka now has to manage to find the same tactical genius he’s found over the coming weeks to not only play in the final but win.

FA Cup Final
View attachment 246099

Double Champions.
Shenhua got all out against underdogs A’erbin but A’erbin hang on until last minutes.

Nicolas Anelka’s Shenhua side today showed why they deserve to be champions; Fabio Rochemback gave A’erbin the lead but only to be cancelled out by Cai Huajun. It took an amazing extra time second half goal from player/manager Nicolas Anelka to clinch it.

Anelka said this “i’ve played in many finals but this one just takes the cake, no one at the beginning of the season gave us anything and yet we come out double champions. Im so proud of everyone, of my players, staff, fans and even the board for giving me this opportunity”.

Anelka now had to rally his troops for next season’s Champions League, Super League and FA Cup.

Shenhua – CSL All Stars
View attachment 246100

Shanghai Shenhua today wiped the floor with CSL All Stars.

Shenhua showed their true power by demolishing the All Stars 7-0, many pundits expected the All Stars to wipe the floor with Shenhua but Anelka thought differently.

Anelka started the game with the winning team from the FA Cup, and every player showed why there manager made the right choice, Feng Renliang starred for Shenhua assisting 1 goal while scoring 2.

Anelka is extremely delighted with his Shenhua side after winning 3 trophies this season.

Last edited:
I love your story! I've been sneaky following this, and it's great! Keep it up.

It's great! I just have one question, am a bit of a noob so please excuse me if this sounds stupid, how do you get to be a player manager in FM?

It's great! I just have one question, am a bit of a noob so please excuse me if this sounds stupid, how do you get to be a player manager in FM?

you cant be a player/manager i have Anelka as a player but when it comes adding a manager i put anelka's stuff in so it counts as a player/manager hope this helps