I'm not saying it is the only factor, but generally it helps. When I choose youngsters and regens I always do a filter search and look for 14+ on natural fitness, determination and work rate. Providing the other main attributes are okish, very rarely do they turn out badly with some good personalised training, tutors and strategic loan moves. Even wrote a thread on it mate. Trust me, determination is important.
I'm not saying it's not, just professionalism I believe is the main factor which is what I usually look for.
Determination is great though because it generally means your team will fight more in games they go behind in.

I'm not saying it's not, just professionalism I believe is the main factor which is what I usually look for.
Determination is great though because it generally means your team will fight more in games they go behind in.

Fair enough then.

Wrong, determination (combined with work rate and natural fitness) goes leaps and bounds towards development of a player. Check through the forums on here,plenty of threads about it to prove it, one even showing a test some whizzkid made over ten seasons with a player starting out on same attributes with determination being the only variable, stats increase turned out to be massive difference.

Sorry but I saw a study on a forum disproving the determination theory and instead touting professionalism as the main factor in development.

That isn't to say a Determined player with good fitness and work rate won't be Professional and therefore won't develop as well, as players can be both, it just depends on which stat is higher.

Sorry but I saw a study on a forum disproving the determination theory and instead touting professionalism as the main factor in development.

That isn't to say a Determined player with good fitness and work rate won't be Professional and therefore won't develop as well, as players can be both, it just depends on which stat is higher.

Sigh, well I can only go on my experiences for developing players and to be honest I've never had a player turn out badly with the three attributes I mentioked. Think about it, determination pushes a player further, work rate makes him work harder, and natural fitness means the player is less likely to get injured and also less likely to complain when you push him to higher levels in trainung.

On the other hand, I don't want to be totally ignorant, and so I would like to see some evidence of professionalism proving to be vital for development (we're talking player personality here right?)