Middlesbrough, Third Season - Improvements?

Smogatetz

Reaction score
Just at the end of my second season as Boro. Did well, finished 8th and somehow qualified for Europe. My usual starting line up and squad:

Boro2012.jpg

Squad1.jpg

Squad2.jpg

Necid was excellent, 20 league goals and forced his way into the first team. McDonald was hit and miss, average for long periods but then really hit form at the end of the season and scored 17 in the league. Westwood was starting keeper in the team of the season. Worst player was probably Kryvstov, made no end of mistakes and got himself 2 straight reds.

Should get around £20m. Looking to get rid of O'Neil (£40kpw wages, will play Verratti instead) and Lita. Tafer's gone back. Any suggestions? Was trying to decide whether it was worth lumping it all on one superstar (Lukaku) or to try and improve the squad overall.

I can help you but where do you or your assistant feel you need improving as i dont want to give you suggestions if you dont really need it there :/

Considering you mentioned your worst player was your Kryvstov you should buy a replacement for him and maybe ship him out or use him as back up.

You could also sign a better dribbler striker as im not sure how good Lakaku dribbling is few seasons in screenshot wouldnt not go a miss ?

Here's Lukaku, looks good but not Earth-shatteringly amazing

Lukaku.jpg

The only real untouchables in the squad are Wheater, Westwood and Necid. After that I'm interested to see what people would do with that squad in my position. Incidentally, the board have gone nuts and offered me £36.5m for continental qualification.

With that kind of money you can do a lot of interesting transfers. I would recoment you lukaku for sure. His brilliant, and scores a lot of goals.

I'd go for perhaps Yttergard Jenssen in the centre of midfield. He is class and very cheap. Lee Chung-Yong from Bolton is also a good player if you need a winger and Hedwiges Maduro is class from Valencia and is usually £3 million max.

i might say to get a new keeper like akinfeev some one whos alot more exp in the Champions League :) and get necid i just got him for 1 mill loan and 4.7 future transfer

A very good result for such a team. This is obviously because the team gelled well together. There are definatly areas that can be improved, especially at centre half. I'd suggest roland juhasz, quality defender and can be picked up for not much. Same to be said of Nicolas Otamendi, although much pricier. Would also recommend signing an out and out goal scorer to partner Necid. I would suggest Welliton of Spartak Moscow. Peace.

Finished my third season now. Didn't win anything, but got the UEFA cup quarter finals and finished 5th - a good achievement, but I was gutted as I was chasing a Champions League spot for most of the season. Again, here's my squad, plus usual tactics and formation:

FirstTeam2013.jpg

Reserves2013.jpg

Boro2013.jpg

Usual home Tactics:

TacticsHome2013.jpg

Usual away tactics:

TacticsAway2013.jpg

Obviously, I usually alter them slightly depending on who I'm playing. As you can see, it's hardly the most exciting set up, with one CM - attack and one CM - defend. My strikers (usually as Necid - target man and Gignac - poacher) are scoring loads but no-one else in the team is chipping in that much apart from the odd corner. Wilson and Krytsov have been in rotation as they keep alternating great performances with costly mistakes. Traore is annoying me, he's done ok (his high rating is mostly from the Euro qualifiers where he took apart minor teams) but isn't developing his stats at all. Also at the start of next season he'll count as home grown (useful for Europe).

I've got £42m to spend, plus will definitely be selling Roushias (about £1.5m) and Pilatos (about £750k). I'm again interested to see what people would do, both tactically and with signings. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, the only vague idea I have is to sign a new DM and move Digard to the bench and maybe a new back up ST (Juan needs to go out on loan). Cheers :)

I would get a better MC instead of Digard, someone like Sandro maybe?

Last edited:
I'd get a CM as good as Verratti, bring Verratti slowly into games and rotate him with that player. Make sure that player will improve though