Mike Ashley Re-Names St. James' Park

I am livid.

Obviously I'm a Newcastle fan, and I'm sick of Mike Ashley tearing this club apart. Our best players gone, lies about what money we get to spend (because he goes and gambles it away) and changes pieces of history. What a pathetic owner, I want him out, why wont someone decent buy us out.

I am livid.

Obviously I'm a Newcastle fan, and I'm sick of Mike Ashley tearing this club apart. Our best players gone, lies about what money we get to spend (because he goes and gambles it away) and changes pieces of history. What a pathetic owner, I want him out, why wont someone decent buy us out.

Cause hopefully they're discussing a takeover at Goodison Park-we need it more than you :p

Not really, what's that bad in being a Tottenham fan?
Nothing. I'm just saying that because he supports Spurs, it explains why he (probably) doesn't love Newcastle as much and is messing up their club.

I've nothing against Newcastle, they have great spirit, good youth and a massive, fantastic support but to see someone like Mike Ashley destroying their club is just so disgusting.

He didnt say there was anything bad 0_o

He is implying that Ashley is destroying Newcastle so they wont be a threat to Spurs.
That's basically my point, although I wouldn't say it'd be as serious as destroying them 'so they won't be a threat to Spurs', but more because he's a greedy businessman and a massive idiot (although he have done some good for Newcastle - even if it's small).

Toon fans look at it this way ... better future>history .... If I was a toon fan I would welcome this idea, look towards the bigger picture, more money usually = more success, plus if the article says it encourages cheaper match tickets, then be happy.

Peace out !
If that was the case, then they would be absolutely delighted. But Ashley is no Perez - he doesn't invest millions of pounds into the club; he's takes money out as profit and borrows from the bank (putting a loan on Newcastle). That's very naive thinking, as Mike Ashley's reputation makes it unlikely for people to think he's doing something good.

And not being rude or anything, but it's easy to say 'peace out' when it's not your club in danger (not personal) - if Old Trafford was being renamed I doubt you'd be very happy (although I may be wrong, of course). :)

I doubt there will be any Geordie that calls it anything but St. James' Park.

At the end of the day, hopefully someone cool comes in and buys the naming rights. I hope it's Lamborghini, that would be schweeeet. Bet it ends up being like.. ASDA.. or something. ****.

At least we are riding high in the league at the moment. If the extra £10m they bring in buys us 2 players similar to Cabaye's quality, then I won't be complaining.

Just as everything has been going nicely, sitting in a very nice position, pretty much all our debt has been paid off, the club are making profit, and the signings we made have been class, everyone's sort of thinking, oh, this guy is actually kinda alright... but BOOM, he goes and puts massive sports direct signs on one of the stands, to add to the ugly sports direct banners, and did anyone know about the mini sports direct in the club store? Yes, we are actually selling other team's shirts, so you can now go to ST JAMES' PARK and probably buy yourself a sunderland shirt! and now he renames it the Sports Direct Arena, the fat *****... and to make matters worse guys, our sponsorship deal with Northern Rock runs out at the end of the season, so expect next season's shirts to have SD on the front.. if they do, i definitely will not be buying one.

If that was the case, then they would be absolutely delighted. But Ashley is no Perez - he doesn't invest millions of pounds into the club; he's takes money out as profit and borrows from the bank (putting a loan on Newcastle). That's very naive thinking, as Mike Ashley's reputation makes it unlikely for people to think he's doing something good.

And not being rude or anything, but it's easy to say 'peace out' when it's not your club in danger (not personal) - if Old Trafford was being renamed I doubt you'd be very happy (although I may be wrong, of course). :)

1) The peace out had no meaning to it, and to be fair I wouldn't care, for me anyways its just a name. Plus more money in would be goof for debt,
2) I wouldn't really say Newcastle is in danger per se, they are doing quite good atm.
3) If he says he's doing something good, at least let it pan out and see what happens.

Well, it could've been worse. Could've been sponsored by Durex. That would've been hard to take.......

I really dont see the problem with it at all. Chelsea are going to do it, Arsenal and City have already done it. To the fans it will always be St James Park it will only be media folk that will call it the new name and its a great way to make money in this day and age. Yes what Ashley has done in the past has been a joke but lets look at the recent things, he has reduced the wage bill a little but sacked Houghton with alot of stick but it seems to have been a masterclass. The past few things he has done has been very possative and this move will bring in more revinue for the club.

I really dont see the problem with it at all. Chelsea are going to do it, Arsenal and City have already done it. To the fans it will always be St James Park it will only be media folk that will call it the new name and its a great way to make money in this day and age. Yes what Ashley has done in the past has been a joke but lets look at the recent things, he has reduced the wage bill a little but sacked Houghton with alot of stick but it seems to have been a masterclass. The past few things he has done has been very possative and this move will bring in more revinue for the club.

Difference with Arsenal and City is that they moved into new stadiums.

Difference with Arsenal and City is that they moved into new stadiums.

Arsenal did but City's used to be called the City of Manchester Stadium which is more close to heart to the fans than the Etihad Stadium. Unfortunatly football is about money these days we have to roll with the times.

This is really sad. A place of such history and Ashley completely disrespected that for the sake of a quick buck. I have always had a soft spot for Newcastle, so I can sympathise with the life long fans and how annoyed they must be right now.

This is really sad. A place of such history and Ashley completely disrespected that for the sake of a quick buck. I have always had a soft spot for Newcastle, so I can sympathise with the life long fans and how annoyed they must be right now.

This will help Newcastle in the future so how has he disrespected them. If anything he is looking at the long term for Newcastle to make sure they not only remain in the PL but can try and push on to be a bigger and better side. Yes they have the historic name but im sure Wimbledon's fans would have took a stadium name change if it ment them being around today. Be careful what you wish for i would say.

i liked st james park even though im not a newcastle fan because of the history :(

Arsenal did but City's used to be called the City of Manchester Stadium which is more close to heart to the fans than the Etihad Stadium. Unfortunatly football is about money these days we have to roll with the times.

Disagree with that, City of Manchester Stadium has never been 'close to the fans'. Maine Road was though.

Newcastle's Sports Direct Arena name could be short-lived, with owner Mike Ashley reported to be closing in on a naming rights deal with an American company.
(Sunday Express)

It seems when things are going well you don't hear anything about Ashley but when any little thing goes wrong everyone jumps on the blame Ashley bandwagon. I can understand the Newcastle fans being annoyed at this, but a name change will only help the club financially in the future so they can grow more and compete consistantly around the top 4 like Spurs.