Neville calls England career 'waste of time'

Does receiving death threats have to be dealt with too along with the pressure? That doesn't come with the job description.

Most of the time some of the fans are just jealous and prefer to act like complete dicks. Imo anyway

They don't get the same treatment as other human beings. They get to play football for a living, they make millions, they are on top of the world, they can have any woman they want, etc. etc. They just don't have a normal lifestyle. Of course there are many downsides to being a celebrity, such as abuse from fans, but no one is forcing them to do it and they can always quit. More importantly, I think any of us would love to be in their shoes. If I could switch places with Ashley Cole or someone like that I wouldn't hesitate.

That's so stupid. "They can just quit"? How about people can stop being dickpoles to them? Them being rich and famous is no pass to being a douche to them. I would love to be in Cole's shoes, but I would love to be in his shoes more if he didn't have to deal with fanatical morons.

i think were forhetting neville played in the england team where all man utd players got booed and england fans sang 'stand up if you hate man u'. probably explains his United>england feelings. world champions twice.

Does receiving death threats have to be dealt with too along with the pressure? That doesn't come with the job description.

Most of the time some of the fans are just jealous and prefer to act like complete dicks. Imo anyway

Yep lets excuse the fact that fans can be complete idiots. Sometimes i just find football fans ridiculous

Last edited:
No one is saying that, but it doesn't mean you turn into a gibbering baboon of a mouth piece without any sense of perspective.

Abuse isnt passion, what the **** has abusing Cole got to do with passion? That's just being retarded. I always want England to win everything them play for, i dont expect them to destroy everything in sight, its perspective. It's not like he said they never deserved it sometimes

"The whole lot of us got it in the neck at other times. Sometimes we deserved it, but playing for England was one long roller-coaster: some ups and downs, but also quite a few moments when you're not really sure if you're enjoying the ride."

I'm sorry but wtf is 'gibbering baboon of a mouth piece without any sense of perspective', don't really think I can comment on that..

The Cole thing, that's nothing to do with football, that's just a few retards who think they're funny, you can't take one isolated incident and assume it means that all England fans are there just to abuse their players, that's just ignorant.

You're right it's all about perspective, but if you're honestly saying that England fans shouldn't be angry that we couldn't qualify for Euro 2008, or get past the first knockout round of the WC then your perspective is ******. I'm just sick of hearing how mean all us big bad England fans are, pressure comes with the territory, as it does with every single competitive sport in the world, you need to deal with it, because nothing is going to change, the media won't change and neither will the fans.

The day England players get confidence in themselves and stop blaming external factors will be the day we may just actually achieve something, sadly it doesn't look like being for a while.

Also I'd say England managers get a **** of a lot more **** than the England players, so as for why Neville is moaning is beyond me.

looks abit like bullying (in a way) to Fabio Caps. :p

first walcoot in his new book, and then Nevile comes and says more. haha

I'm sorry but wtf is 'gibbering baboon of a mouth piece without any sense of perspective', don't really think I comment on that..

The Cole thing, that's nothing to do with football, that's just a few retards who think they're funny, you can't take one isolated incident and assume it means that all England fans are there just to abuse their players, that's just ignorant.

You're right it's all about perspective, but if you're honestly saying that England fans shouldn't be angry that we couldn't qualify for Euro 2008, or get past the first knockout round of the WC then your perspective is ******. I'm just sick of hearing how mean all us big bad England fans are, pressure comes with the territory, as it does with every single competitive sport in the world, you need to deal with it, because nothing is going to change, the media won't change and neither will the fans.

The day England players get confidence in themselves and stop blaming external factors will be the day we may just actually achieve something, sadly it doesn't look like being for a while.

Also I'd say England managers get a **** of a lot more **** than the England players, so as for why Neville is moaning is beyond me.

The first sentence just me being very descriptive, go down to Wembley and watch an england match, listen to some of the fans around you. ****** Nora is all i can say about that.

As for the bold i've not said any of that is ok, but fans still need to step back and actually think sometimes. He's not moaning or pinning everything on the fans for one, he talks about a lot of other things about england too

The Cole things isn't one game either, its near constant mate.

A lot of things need to change in our game, from the players down to the fans

I don't care how much money, how many Ferrari's and how many yacht's someone has at home. I wouldn't feel like going out for my country only to be ridiculed, scapegoated and lambasted by failure to meet impossibly high expectations to receive nothing in return. Pressure comes with the territory of any high paying job, do you not think they feel the same pressure at their clubs?

It's not the fact that they don't win the world cup. I think most fans can accept if they don't win the world cup because obviously teams like Spain and Germany are better. England fans are some of the most loyal imo. No matter the team disgrace themselves, the fans always go back and support them. Fans paid a lot of money to see them at the world cup, but what did they get back from it? They aren't asking them to tear every opponent to shreds, but to barely scrape through the group stage and then get demolished by Germany? You can't expect fans to be happy.

Players don't deserve death threats, no way. But maybe if some of them behaved themselves a little better, they wouldn't give the fans the ammunition to attack them with. Ie - Rooney's comment about the fans at the world cup. Play better next time.

Why does Ashley Cole get abused so much? "They offered me 55k a week, I almost crashed the car."

The first sentence just me being very descriptive, go down to Wembley and watch an england match, listen to some of the fans around you. ****** Nora is all i can say about that.

As for the bold i've not said any of that is ok, but fans still need to step back and actually think sometimes. He's not moaning or pinning everything on the fans for one, he talks about a lot of other things about england too

The Cole things isn't one game either, its near constant mate.

A lot of things need to change in our game, from the players down to the fans

But you get those guys at every game, go watch anyone and there will be a percentage of complete fucktards who have nothing better to do.

All I was trying to say is that English players aren't the only ones under pressure, and I really don't think we need so many English players labeling us as bad fans, we support our country better than most, and we have a right to be angry, the same way we do when it comes to club football.

At the end of the day, nothing will change, if by some miracle we manage to win Euro 2012 (hypothetically speaking!) then what, everything is automatically fine. It's the thing I hate most about English football, how can people be so fickle and hypocritical about everything. I'm sick of it being okay for England players to slag off the fans but we can't have an opinion on them, double standards.

It's not the fact that they don't win the world cup. I think most fans can accept if they don't win the world cup because obviously teams like Spain and Germany are better. England fans are some of the most loyal imo. No matter the team disgrace themselves, the fans always go back and support them. Fans paid a lot of money to see them at the world cup, but what did they get back from it? They aren't asking them to tear every opponent to shreds, but to barely scrape through the group stage and then get demolished by Germany? You can't expect fans to be happy.

Players don't deserve death threats, no way. But maybe if some of them behaved themselves a little better, they wouldn't give the fans the ammunition to attack them with. Ie - Rooney's comment about the fans at the world cup. Play better next time.

Why does Ashley Cole get abused so much? "They offered me 55k a week, I almost crashed the car."

So one frustrated comment by and unfit and out of form Rooney (which he apologised for) justifies a year long barrage of abuse? I think not (another case of stopping to think, he was poor but then he really wasnt in much shape to be doing much of anything, let alone trying to play anywhere near his lung busting game)

But you get those guys at every game, go watch anyone and there will be a percentage of complete fucktards who have nothing better to do.

All I was trying to say is that English players aren't the only ones under pressure, and I really don't think we need so many English players labeling us as bad fans, we support our country better than most, and we have a right to be angry, the same way we do when it comes to club football.

At the end of the day, nothing will change, if by some miracle we manage to win Euro 2012 (hypothetically speaking!) then what, everything is automatically fine. It's the thing I hate most about English football, how can people be so fickle and hypocritical about everything. I'm sick of it being okay for England players to slag off the fans but we can't have an opinion on them, double standards.

It goes both ways.

The bit in bold, so depressingly true.

So one frustrated comment by and unfit and out of form Rooney (which he apologised for) justifies a year long barrage of abuse? I think not (another case of stopping to think, he was poor but then he really wasnt in much shape to be doing much of anything, let alone trying to play anywhere near his lung busting game)
Frustrated or not, he said it. Nope, it doesn't justify all that abuse but that's part of the game and how fans are.

He was one of the worst players out there, which probably ****** the fans off even more. A lot of people take those apologies with a pinch of salt. Just like the other crappy apology (which he clearly didn't write) when he swore in the camera. He brings it all on himself.

Italian/Spanish fans never do this...

They would never openly criticise/boo their national team, they treat them as players representing their country rather than messed up role models/overpaid football players. The criticism of players is justified if they don't play well on the pitch but the facts are we all like to think the country unites behind the English national team but they don't, you get Chelsea fans booing Ferdinand and Arsenal fans booing Ashley Cole.

If a player in Italy/Spain misbehaves in NT training he gets sent home and nothing more gets said about it, over here the fans would crucify them for the rest of their career's. In those countries do they expect to win National tournaments? Yes, but when they don't win they accept it and look forward they don't look back on the failed tournament. Do Italian's care how they won the '06 World Cup? No, they just care that they won it.

Need to get past this idea that it's the 'fans' and the 'millionaires', that defeats the object of having a National team.

Bottom line, way to many divides in this country's support for the players to ever feel like they have the full support regardless.

I don't go mad at England performances anymore, I openly choose not to watch them until that moron Capello goes...

I would never boo them or call any player ****, even if I saw Heskey in the street I would be grateful to him for his service. (And for me that would be hard)

Different cultures as well, English/French fans are VERY similar in their approaches to the national team.

If no one (Tabloids/Media) built up the NT then maybe things would start to get better and maybe a base could be laid for better relations between fans-NT because their would be less pressure/expectation. But when the FA pays a man 5-6m pounds a year that alone gets expectations up...

Some fans need a reality check/bash round the head because nothings going to change the way things are in NT matches.

Also, it would help if everyone stopped mentioning the 1966 World Cup every time a tournament comes around.

Frustrated or not, he said it. Nope, it doesn't justify all that abuse but that's part of the game and how fans are.

He was one of the worst players out there, which probably ****** the fans off even more. A lot of people take those apologies with a pinch of salt. Just like the other crappy apology (which he clearly didn't write) when he swore in the camera. He brings it all on himself.

No offence, but you're kinda doing it now. yes he was poor, but he wasnt even remotely fit or on form. He probably shouldnt even been playing he was that unready.

The fact that its part of the game is irrelevant, doesnt excuse the fans from being morons. Why must we turn it into and us and them mentality.

As for the bold, thats just ridiculous. Especially since he gave an interview about that. Lets not forget the 40,000 west ham fans calling him a **** all game... yeah thats all part of the "fun". Then he says ******* what to a cameraman who got too close to him, so that justifies more abuse? Riiiight.

Last edited:
Italian/Spanish fans never do this...

They would never openly criticise/boo their national team, they treat them as players representing their country rather than messed up role models/overpaid football players. The criticism of players is justified if they don't play well on the pitch but the facts are we all like to think the country unites behind the English national team but they don't, you get Chelsea fans booing Ferdinand and Arsenal fans booing Ashley Cole.

If a player in Italy/Spain misbehaves in NT training he gets sent home and nothing more gets said about it, over here the fans would crucify them for the rest of their career's. In those countries do they expect to win National tournaments? Yes, but when they don't win they accept it and look forward they don't look back on the failed tournament. Do Italian's care how they won the '06 World Cup? No, they just care that they won it.

Need to get past this idea that it's the 'fans' and the 'millionaires', that defeats the object of having a National team.

Bottom line, way to many divides in this country's support for the players to ever feel like they have the full support regardless.

I don't go mad at England performances anymore, I openly choose not to watch them until that moron Capello goes...

I would never boo them or call any player ****, even if I saw Heskey in the street I would be grateful to him for his service. (And for me that would be hard)

Different cultures as well, English/French fans are VERY similar in their approaches to the national team.

If no one (Tabloids/Media) built up the NT then maybe things would start to get better and maybe a base could be laid for better relations between fans-NT because their would be less pressure/expectation. But when the FA pays a man 5-6m pounds a year that alone gets expectations up...

Some fans need a reality check/bash round the head because nothings going to change the way things are in NT matches.

Also, it would help if everyone stopped mentioning the 1966 World Cup every time a tournament comes around.

That drives me up the frickin wall sometimes. Each time I hear the subject on the radio during a tournament I just switch off. People seem to think because we won it once, we have a right to win it more often. No one team has a right to win it. It all depends how you play on the day.

So much love for these parts of the post in particular.

It all ties into this "Win NAO or you iz ****" mentality that fans have today. Look at Wenger, some people calling for his head?! Fans love to blame so things of the game on other factors, but they are a big problem themselves. Plenty seem to have lost all perspective

i personally think Wenger situation is different, not won anything for 6 years and steadily going backward as a club right now its not looking good for arsenal

ON TOPIC: Neville speaks the truth, and you wont hear me say that often haha

That's so stupid. "They can just quit"? How about people can stop being dickpoles to them? Them being rich and famous is no pass to being a douche to them. I would love to be in Cole's shoes, but I would love to be in his shoes more if he didn't have to deal with fanatical morons.

For the second time when did I say people should be dicks to them? The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of dicks out there, every country has them. Nothing will change that. And having to deal with them is simply part of the territory. They knew their entire lives that it would be something they'd have to deal with if they became footballers, but they still decided to try to become footballers because it's the best job in the world.

i think were forhetting neville played in the england team where all man utd players got booed and england fans sang 'stand up if you hate man u'. probably explains his United>england feelings. world champions twice.

Not justifying what the fans said at all but it is true that at ManU club is considered more important than country and SAF wants (and maybe even pressures) his players to retire early from international football. It's something that I understand England fans might be annoyed about, and some dicks will take things too far and chant things in the stadium.

I don't care how much money, how many Ferrari's and how many yacht's someone has at home. I wouldn't feel like going out for my country only to be ridiculed, scapegoated and lambasted by failure to meet impossibly high expectations to receive nothing in return. Pressure comes with the territory of any high paying job, do you not think they feel the same pressure at their clubs?

The players also have the chance to be national heroes and for everyone in the country to love them. When they do well and work hard, they don't get ridiculed. But the fact of the matter is that some players on the English NT don't seem to really care all that much and it really ****** off the fans. This of course happens everywhere, so when the English players come out and say it's so hard to play for the English team, the fans suck, etc. etc....I don't know, I just don't feel very sorry for them. I do understand where they're coming from and that it might be a chore to play for England, but I'm not going to sympathize with them too much when they complain.

And if I had the opportunity to get paid millions to play football and represent my country in my free time, even with abusive fans and media, I would definitely do it. Getting abused by fans is an extremely minor disadvantage to the dream lifestyle that the players live, a lifestyle that is paid for by US. We're the ones that shell out tons of money on merchandise and tickets so they can live lavish lifestyles, so yeah, I expect them to give a little something back in their free time, and that's giving their heart and soul for their country. And if they play like **** I might even boo them and I won't apologize for it.

For the second time when did I say people should be dicks to them? The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of dicks out there, every country has them. Nothing will change that. And having to deal with them is simply part of the territory. They knew their entire lives that it would be something they'd have to deal with if they became footballers, but they still decided to try to become footballers because it's the best job in the world.

You never said they should be, but that they are excused if they do it, which they are not. Also, this is just ridiculous:

Getting abused by fans is an extremely minor disadvantage to the dream lifestyle that the players live, a lifestyle that is paid for by US. We're the ones that shell out tons of money on merchandise and tickets so they can live lavish lifestyles