PaddyK94

Reaction score
Has anyone gone a whole transfer season without signing or selling anyone so as not to disrupt team harmony or to let your team gel more etc.?
And if yes did it make any difference?

Yes. It does make a difference, but it's a sliding scale effect - so it's not that much difference over a couple of signings but a huge difference compared to five or six new signings. Passing improves considerably (you'll see fewer passes hit too far in front or behind) and the team responds better to things going wrong. In addition, if the rest of the league is bringing in new talent, this positive effect may just outweigh the negative of them increasing the skill levels of their squads. Mebbe ;) The downside is obviously that some players just aren't good enough so at some point you have to disrupt things.

never done it but it would be intresting to see how you would get on

One season i only made one signing which was 'Igor Akinfeev' in goal (cost me 39 million), i noticed every season i made too many signing then a poor season would follow. Well i only made the one signing for my fulham team, than season i went on to win the premier league, champions league and fa cup...!

Less signings is better, but as zeb said, if players in your team are not good enough then you have to replace them to progress

Well I had, for a Lower League side. But when I have funds available is not really about temptation, it's about making the team a better side.

I've never gone a whole season without any transfer activity. I usually bring in 2 or 3 new players every season, saometimes less. Depends on whether I need to strengthen the team and what players are available. With my Eastbourne game, my least active transfer period has been a couple of seasons ago when I only brought in 4 players and sold 6 but that was cos I couldn't get players to come to my team. I usually averaged 10 new players a season

in my telford game, as I go up the divisions I need to improve almost half the team each time and it's really difficult, one season to gel one seaosn to try and go for promotion, I don't think three signings is too bad, but more than that will disrupt your team, me thinks

in my telford game, as I go up the divisions I need to improve almost half the team each time and it's really difficult, one season to gel one seaosn to try and go for promotion, I don't think three signings is too bad, but more than that will disrupt your team, me thinks

That probably explains why I spent 4 seasons in League 2 then - too many players coming and going.:(

That probably explains why I spent 4 seasons in League 2 then - too many players coming and going.:(

Sometimes your squad needs a radical overhaul though and so if you want to bite the bullet and do it in one go, just play more defensively until the team has started to gel together. Doing it every season isn't something I'd advise though :D If I've got a relegation threatened squad and I've come in before the season starts I'll toss out all the dead wood at once and bring in decent enough quality to see me stay up - but until Christmas I'll play very defensively and think a draw away from home is perfectly acceptable and a win at home a most excellent result. Just want to stay in touch by Christmas when the squad should have gelled. The season after is when I'd want to kick on for promotion.

But with that same team, if I come in mid-season to rescue them from relegation I really don't want to be mucking up with the gelling. They obviously need all the help they can get and I don't have time to build a new team without risking relegation.

If you sign two players from the same club, do they play well together?

If you sign two players from the same club, do they play well together?

There's no guarantees. I mean, they may not have played well together at the previous club. Players are more likely to gel and play well if they list each other as favoured personnel.