Pep Guardiola will be the Bayerm Munich manager from this summer

How long before we get requests for a Bayern Tactics thread for FM 13 & 14 then ?

Without a doubt overrated imo!
At Barca he had sooo many great players at his disposal, an only really one team to challenge him domestically.
Much of the same at Bayern..many great players, an only really one team to challenge domestically. Although the bundesliga is alot more tighter from top to bottom!
It is being said he's being lined up to take over from Sir Alex, but if i was a utd supporter id honestly prefer Moyes or O'Neill.

I aint sayin Pep isnt any good, his record speaks for its self, im just sayin for me to be classed a top manager, they need to have shown in their career more than just great coaching ability..like id like to see him takeover a Spurs, Everton or Dortmund like team.

Without a doubt overrated imo!
At Barca he had sooo many great players at his disposal, an only really one team to challenge him domestically.
Much of the same at Bayern..many great players, an only really one team to challenge domestically. Although the bundesliga is alot more tighter from top to bottom!
It is being said he's being lined up to take over from Sir Alex, but if i was a utd supporter id honestly prefer Moyes or O'Neill.

I aint sayin Pep isnt any good, his record speaks for its self, im just sayin for me to be classed a top manager, they need to have shown in their career more than just great coaching ability..like id like to see him takeover a Spurs, Everton or Dortmund like team.
I wouldn't say that Pep Guardiola is overrated, but if he archive's replicating FC Barcelona at FC Bayern Munich, I would definitely like to see him succeed Sir Alex at Manchester United when Sir Alex step down. But if I looking a British manager in premier league I would go for David Moyes, but he's won anything trophy wise yet. When Sir Alex's arrive at Old Trafford he had won a lot trophies north of border (Scotland) with Aberdeen (Aberdeen is last team dominate Scotland that was not a Glasgow club (Celtic or Rangers)) and also he had won European cup winners cup beaten Real Madrid in the final.

Last edited:
All that said and done, Pep should do very well at Bayern Munich. He will never reach the heights he did with Barcelona but with the players he has got and the fact that their is only one other team who are serious title challengers. Slightly similar to La Liga in that regard.He will only be doing his CV the world of good

Still curious as to how he would do in the Prem where there are at least 3-4 teams who are serious title challengers.

Guardiola overrated? How exactly? He's relatively unproven, but you can't just sit there behind a computer screen and claim that anyone could have done what he did at Barca. I fully expect him to dominate German football with Bayern now, and still people will say he's overrated as they are a club 'expected' to win everything. Then he'll go to United and do the same, but the same arguement will be thrown back at him. It's hardly his fault that he started management at the very top...

The amount of moronic statements on this thread is staggering! You don’t win 24 trophies in four years out of “luck” or by simply having “the best players” Do you think you can just throw them on the park and things will just happen?

Also the suggestion that La Liga isn’t as competitive is ridiculous! It can’t be that Barca and Real have arguably the best two players in existence in their sides, who also contain other fantastic players and possibly the best managers in the game?

Bilbao tore Man United to shreds’ last season, Madrid destroyed Chelsea this season. Malaga who is struggling financially topped their Champions’ League group and the supposed weaker sides continue to dominate the Europa League.

Any suggestion that the German league isn’t competitive is also absurd. Look at the likes of Stuttgart, Bremen, Dortmund and Wolfsburg winning the title in the last decade. The rise of Mainz in recent years, Gladbach last season. German football has risen tenfold in the last decade & will continue to do so. I understand his choice entirely.

I can't get my head around those two statements.

Pep being over-rated, and saying he should try himself at a club like Everton. Who the **** would want to go to manage a club in such a precarious state with the stadium falling apart :S

Far too talented a manager to go somewhere like that, like Moyes is being wasted at Everton where's he's being held back by broken promises and having to continuously rely on cheap players or loan signings majority of the time. Pep is raw as in being untested elsewhere but hugely talented and I can see him having a great managerial span in the near future

Guardiola overrated? How exactly? He's relatively unproven, but you can't just sit there behind a computer screen and claim that anyone could have done what he did at Barca. I fully expect him to dominate German football with Bayern now, and still people will say he's overrated as they are a club 'expected' to win everything. Then he'll go to United and do the same, but the same arguement will be thrown back at him. It's hardly his fault that he started management at the very top...

He is relatively unproven...and overrated lol
For me he would have to do something like Ferguson did at St Mirren an then Aberdeen (as sdbrook said) to be rated as world-class! He was a pretty much a coach at Barca (transfers are mainly handled by the board/president). Its still to be seen if he's as good in the market, as he is as a tactician.

Also it is his fault he started at the very top lol. I remember when he was being offered jobs in france, but obviously didnt fancy a challenge an learnt his craft managing Barca C/B teams..another no challenge.
I never said anyone could of done the job he done at Barca...no-one could possibly know this, except speculate! All i do know is there were ALOT more experienced managers, with a better track record, that may well of done better...

Am i the only one that has realised Sunilvk spelt Bayern "Bayerm"?

I wouldn't say he's overrated but he still isn't fully proven. If he went a team like Arsenal or Chelsea, who aren't the best teams in their league and dominated then he would win a lot of people over.

Bayern are a massive club and it is a challenge for him, but not a big enough one for people to say he's one of the best ever. His career path is basically set out now given the length of his contract.

I wouldn't say he's overrated but he still isn't fully proven. If he went a team like Arsenal or Chelsea, who aren't the best teams in their league and dominated then he would win a lot of people over.

Bayern are a massive club and it is a challenge for him, but not a big enough one for people to say he's one of the best ever. His career path is basically set out now given the length of his contract.

In fairness you could almost level the same argument at Jose. He is famed for what he has done at massive clubs. And we dont question the fact that he is world class. I think if he goes on to be a success it would be fair to define Pep as proven.

In fairness you could almost level the same argument at Jose. He is famed for what he has done at massive clubs. And we dont question the fact that he is world class. I think if he goes on to be a success it would be fair to define Pep as proven.

You could say that if he didn't win the CL with Porto and Inter. Not to mention at one point his home record was formidable.

Edit: 9 year unbeaten home record

Pep is quite a bit under the likes of Sir Alex and Mourinho imo, but he isn't that far away from them. His stint at Bayern will prove ti be an adequate test imo.

I disagree there. Jose has achieved more with less resources. He transformed Porto into a much stronger team than what they were if I remember correctly..

Guardiola is playing it really safe here and that's why in my opinion he cant be considered one of the great managers.

I disagree there. Jose has achieved more with less resources. He transformed Porto into a much stronger team than what they were if I remember correctly..

Relative to the rest of the league Porto have massive resources. And they had a very strong side.

Pep is quite a bit under the likes of Sir Alex and Mourinho imo, but he isn't that far away from them. His stint at Bayern will prove ti be an adequate test imo.

Agreed. But I just find it bizarre people trying to dismiss the move to Bayern.

Relative to the rest of the league Porto have massive resources. And they had a very strong side.

Still though he went on to win Champions League titles with both Porto and Inter who were both massive underdogs in the competition...

Still though he went on to win Champions League titles with both Porto and Inter who were both massive underdogs in the competition...

They werent massive underdogs... Inter were in that game vs Barca