POSH'N TO THE TOP - Peterborough United

th3king

Reaction score
POSH’N TO THE TOP – A Peterborough United Story
View attachment 339773
Hi everyone, I’ve always been tempted to start a story on here, but never been able to really push myself to finish a save, many of them being quite short, or abandoned projects I’ve just given up on. I’ve always been one to manage teams in the lower leagues and bring them glory, especially teams who have seen glory once before such as Luton Town, Sheffield United and so forth.
I will be taking over a team by the name of Peterborough United. Peterborough United were formed in 1934 and have a rich history of winning. Nicknamed ‘The Posh’, Peterborough currently play at London Road in an 11,494 capacity stadium. Peterborough in recent times have never really held down a position in any league jumping between the championship, League 1 and League 2. Most recently, the club were relegated from the Championship on the final day of the 2012–13 season, and will compete in the Sky Bet League 1, the third tier in English football.

View attachment 339767
My View:
Looking at the club in a whole, there’s a lot to work with. The stadium isn’t huge, but is serviceable, similar to both the training and youth facilities. The finances are secure for now, so hopefully the further up the English football tree we move, the more cash the board will allow me to splash on the squad.

Targets for the Save:
As I’ve always been one to start saves, and give up quickly in search of something a bit more entertaining, I’ve put together a list of targets for the save. Some targets are quite long term, so hopefully that gives the save a bit of long

1. Achieve promotion from League 1.
2. Achieve promotion from the Championship.
3. Win The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.
4. Win the League Cup.
5. Win the FA Cup.
6. Win the Premier League.
7. Quality for European Football.
8. Win the Europa League.
9. Win the Champions League.
10. Win the Domestic Treble.
11. Win the Quadruple.
12. Have a Peterborough player win the World Golden Ball.
13. Become the most reputable club in the world.
14. Become the richest club in the world.

Last edited:
POSH’N TO THE TOP – Peterborough United

View attachment 339746
View attachment 339745
Well now it’s official. I’ve taken the reigns at the Posh.

Squad:
The squad that I have been handed is full of youth, absolutely chock a block with youngsters who have serious potential to play at greater heights than the third tier in England. Although young, there are also high quality veterans who will hopefully help me guide this young squad in the right direction.

Key Players:

View attachment 339743
Michael Bostwick is the cornerstone of the first team. Statistically the best player in squad, I will look for him to be the anchor defensively, but also push the ball up field when we get turnovers. To have a player like this in a squad in league 1 is delightful and something that doesn’t happen often.

View attachment 339742
Jack Payne is one of our young up and coming players who will be implemented into the engine room of the first team. With fairly all round stats, I will be looking for Jack to play a big role in the midfield.

View attachment 339741

The big Austrian will be a pivitol part of the first team if we are going to have any chance of getting promotion. At 26, I believe he has a very bright future ahead at Peterborough United.

View attachment 339740
Gabriel Zakuani at 27, is one of the oldest players in the squad and that’s saying something. Zakuani is a club icon and like the past 3 or 4 years will have to shoulder a lot of the load when it comes to defending against big teams.

Current Squad:

View attachment 339739

The current squad, I’m quite happy with. It’s a team that has room to grow, which is something that I’ll enjoy making happen. This will be the starting XI, but is subject to change as players such as Smith at Left Back, and Barnett up front are not up to standard for a squad that are looking for a promotion back to the championship. I’ll be on the lookout for any potential free transfers or loans that could help the team reach promotion as quick as possible.

POSH’N TO THE TOP – Peterborough United

View attachment 339627
Transfers:

View attachment 339626
View attachment 339612
Diacko Fofana – Found Diacko in the scrap heap of free agents screaming out for a club. The young right back has nice potential which suits our up and coming team. Nice pace for league 1 as well, which will no doubt help him get up and down the touchline.

View attachment 339625
View attachment 339608
Alex Nimely - Alex Nimely will be leading our line for the year. A product of the Manchester City academy who clearly wasn’t good enough for them, but boy will he be good enough for us. Great strength and acceleration, the makings of a great strike man for years to come.

View attachment 339599
Ibrahima Tandia – Another youthful Frenchmen joining the ranks of Peterborough United, after an early season injury he was bought for cover, and great cover he will be. Pacey winger, just the way I like them.

View attachment 339595
The only other transfers I was able to make were just youngsters to fill out the 21’s and 18’s teams. Hopefully players who will grow and make for a profit in the next few years.

Squad:

View attachment 339578
Preseason:

View attachment 339577
Not a bad pre-season run. Not many goals, but the defence stood up and kept both Everton and West Brom to 0-0 all draws. Hopefully this is something that we can keep doing well going into the season. Not much else to see here though, pretty disappointed with the Kidderminster result, but hopefully it won’t harm the start of our season.

View attachment 339263

August:

View attachment 339262
Peterborough United vs Gillingham:

View attachment 339260
Jack Baldwin (74)

Great start to the season, we dominated possession, and dominated the game from start to end. The score line doesn’t represent how the game played out. All in all, great to get 3 points on the board.

POM: Jack Baldwin (Peterborough)

Peterborough United vs Exeter City:

View attachment 339259
Ibrahima Tandia (3), Gabriel Zakuani (24), Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (57); Scot Bennett (43)

First round of the Capital One Cup scheduled us down at home against Exeter City of League 2. Fairly relaxed game again. Started well with a goal to debutant, Ibrahima Tandia, in the 3rd​ minute and the game was pretty much over by the 57th​ as Mendez-Laing scored his first for the year.

POM: Gabriel Zakuani (Peterborough)

Bristol City vs Peterborough United:

View attachment 339258
Wesley Burn (90+2); Alex Nimely (35), Jack Payne (38)

This game was surprisingly close, with them without a point after the first game of the season, I thought we were in for an easy run in. We again controlled possession but had less shots and less on target. Grinded out the win, great game by keeper, Bobby Olejnik.

POM: Alex Nimely (Peterborough)

Peterborough United vs Scunthorpe United:

View attachment 339257
Mesca o.g. (49); Paddy Madden (pen 3)

Straight to the point, we just didn’t finish our chances. An Alex Nimely injury didn’t help in the 20th​ minute, but this was 3 points that we let go.

POM: Michael Bostwick (Peterborough)

Swindon Town vs Peterborough United:

View attachment 339255
Massimo Luongo (21, 74); Darren Ward o.g. (53), Kgosi Ntlhe (pen 60), Tyrone Barnett (77)

What an exciting game this was. Really close, with us exchanging goals, I thought that all was over until Tyrone Barnett scored an absolute belter from outside the box.

POM: Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town)

Table:

View attachment 339254

Great start to the year with only MK Dons between us and top spot. Quite an easy run of games over the next month, so we should keep up the unbeaten start.

Player of the Month:

View attachment 339252
Jack Payne
Absolute monster on the attack, sometime he could be mistaken for Iniesta. Front runner for player of the year so far.

Games: 5
Goals: 1
Assists: 4
Average Rating: 7.58

Next Update:

Look forward to the 2nd​ round of the Capital One Cup against…
QUEEN’S PARK RANGERS. Who would’ve thought. Me and good cup draws never happen. This will be a great challenge for the lads, early in the season. No doubt we’ll have to be on our A game.

View attachment 339251

Last edited:
Looking good!! Cant wait for the next update.

(im stealing the players you signed for my southend save, any others you think might be worth a try?)

Looking good!! Cant wait for the next update.

(im stealing the players you signed for my southend save, any others you think might be worth a try?)

Thanks man really appreciate the support.
Max Clayton is a guy I was looking at. Absolute steal for a potential premier league player, he's quite well known so you've most probably seen him develop really nicely.

View attachment 338796

September:

View attachment 338782

Peterborough United vs QPR

View attachment 338795

Barnett (38. 79, 114); Peter Crouch (5), Hogan Ephraim (63)

View attachment 338794

What a game. I was on the edge of my seat, like I was actually at the match. Tyrone Barnett take a bow, he was the star of the show, every time he got the ball he did something magical, could he take Nimely’s first team spot?

POM: Tyrone Barnett (Peterborough)

Barnsley vs Peterborough United

View attachment 338793

Kane Hemmings (73); Tyrone Barnett (67)

We just couldn’t finish off our chances. When you have 4 clear cut chances, and 8 shots on goal, you would think that you would score at more than a single goal. Poor effort after a big win against QPR.
POM: Martin Cranie (Barnsley)

Peterborough United vs Wycombe

View attachment 338792

Kyle Vassell (19, 41), Kane Ferdinand (57); Junior Morias (9)

Played with quite a young side and they finished Wycombe off after going down 1-0 early. Great determination by the youngsters, definitely something to cheer about down at London Road. Kyle Vassell scored two great goals, might be a three man race for the first team striker spot.

POM: Kyle Vassell

Peterborough United vs Colchester United

View attachment 338791

Jack Payne (57), Michael Smith (90+1); Magnus Okuonghae (40), Freddie Sears (54)

The first team was absolutely depleted by international duties. Although having a young side is wonderful, when you have half your team in country’s U21’s and U19’s squad is really doesn’t help when they go off to represent their country. Although we still got the draw, thankfully to a Mark Smith header in the dying seconds.
POM: Freddie Sears (Colchester)

Peterborough United vs Port Vale

View attachment 338790

Jack Payne (73), Tyrone Barnett (88); Chris Birchall (22)

I thought we were going to throw away all three points in this game. Shocking start and we only started to control the game after half time. Nimely made his second start since coming back from injury and absolutely stunk. He was subbed at half time for Barnett, and Barnett scored the winner late on. Looks like Barnett is the top dog now.

POM: Jack Payne (Peterborough)

Peterborough United vs Coventry City

View attachment 338783

Jack Payne (86)

Our stretch of home games continued as we hosted 24th​ placed, Coventry City. With some guys struggling for fitness I brought in some youngsters and Adam Drury for his long awaited debut in front of his boyhood fans. It turned out to be the most boring, uneventful game I’ve seen on FM. Other than Jack Payne’s free kick goal, there was not another highlight.

POM: Jack Payne (Peterborough)

Peterborough United vs Brighton and Hove Albion

View attachment 338784

Alex Nimely (75); Solly March (79)

View attachment 338781

The fan’s packed into London Road for the 3rd​ Round clash between us and Brighton. Brighton fielded are very strong team, and it was up to us to beat them. The game was even at half time, not many shots to either team and the possession was fairly even. What didn’t help was Jack Payne our star player maker hobbling off at half time with what looked to be a…. I made a change on the 70th​ minute and brought on an out of form Nimely on for Barnett and I thought I’d made the sub of the month when he scored in the 75th​ minute, but Brighton answered back with a header from Solly in the 79th​. Time went past and it came to Penalties. Unlucky for us Tandia’s penalty the first of the shootout was saved and we were on the back foot from there.

POM: Alex Nimely (Peterborough)

Oldham Athletic vs Peterborough United

View attachment 338785

Jonson Clarke-Harris (20); Alex Nimely (4, 40) Jack Payne (13) Paul Rachubka o.g. (43)

Well I’m happy inform, that Nimely is back in form! Drew terror into the back four of Oldham Athletic, with great runs through the heart of their defense. Jack Payne again got on the score sheet with a wonderful long goal. The first half as you can see was crazy, 5 goals in 45 minutes, yet the second was that quite I almost fell asleep.
POM: Jack Payne

Player of the Month

Jack Payne

View attachment 338786

This man is on fire, although did pip an inform Tyrone Barnett for player of the month. Tyrone lead the line well, with 5 goals in 6 games, but Jack was class in the middle of the park.

Games: 6(1)
Goals: 4
Assists: 4
Average Rating: 7.56

Transfers:

View attachment 338787

We went into the season with only one left back and to be fair I thought we were handling it quiet well. But as my starting left back, Kgosi Ntlhe, is playing in the South African U19’s we have absolutely no one to back him up. Adam Drury was bought just to fill in the whole of back up, but what makes it better, he’s a Peterborough youth product. Finishing off his career where he started, how nice of me to make that happen.

Table:

View attachment 338788

Top of the League, with not a single lose. What a dream start. We aren’t really leading in any areas, but we have one of the better attacking records, and one of the better defensive records in the league which is nice to see.

Extra News:

View attachment 338789

After long talks with the bored that led to several of my efforts turned down, we were finally able to get a feeder club. United’s youth system is one of the best in England so I think it’s wonderful for us to announce the link with them. Me personally, I’m a Liverpool fan, and have grown up despising United, so I wasn’t that grateful when the board came back with them as our Parent Club.

Last edited:
Brilliant read mate, the layout is great and the writing style is really good and easy to follow...Keep up the good work, I shall be following!!

Brilliant read mate, the layout is great and the writing style is really good and easy to follow...Keep up the good work, I shall be following!!

Thanks for the support man. Appreciate it a lot.