Possession-based Attacking – Meet the New Dortmund under Tuchel

joeyBanana

Reaction score
Enjoy a new article from my blog: Possession-based Attacking *- Tactic Download. You can find it nicely formatted, with a lot of images at that link. If you just want the tactic. Here you go !

View attachment 181707

This is another piece i’ve written before in german, which i now want to share with you in my perfect, worked-out, well-crafted german-inspired english, haha. After the successful years under Jürgen Klopp, Dortmund had a really bad season, only finishing in the Europe League ranks. With the introduction of Thomas Tuchel, the BVB developed a new style, while keeping old strengths: Instead of pressing the enemy all the time, rushing towards the goal, Dortmund is playing a more short-passing, possession based style. Although they’ve not given up their capabilities of Pressing and Gegenpressing, transitioning incredibly fast from Defense to Offense. Mixing these two parts of modern Football, is the way to go for Thomas Tuchel. He got his inspiration from Pep himself, although he acknowledges Jürgen Klopps work and keeps some of his core ideas alive. Follow me and learn more about the Evolution: The Fusion of relentless Pressing and passing Grace.

View attachment 181706

Whether or not this works in game, it is not an accurate representation of how Dortmund's side plays this year due to certain shortcomings of what the match engine can accomplish and where it fails.

Whether or not this works in game, it is not an accurate representation of how Dortmund's side plays this year due to certain shortcomings of what the match engine can accomplish and where it fails.

Hey Blarry, i feel free to quote myself in the first article, about The Idea:

Nowadays in Dortmund, he often times plays a 4-3-3 in offense, and a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-2 during the defensive phases of the game. As always, we try to emulate this style with the tools, that the Match Engine gives us.
So, im not saying its an exact representation, i'm trying the best possible emulation and translation "with the tools, that the Match Engine gives us." A 1:1 copy will never be possible, because of the complexity of tactics. But thanks for your input anyway!

Is the mentality supposed to be attacking or control on the tactic?

Is the mentality supposed to be attacking or control on the tactic?

Attacking ! You could use it with Control either, it will be a more patient play, not taking as many risks as on Attacking, suitable for lower-table teams. Although this tactic is aggressive and trying to make the game, offering space to the opposition in exchange. If you dont got fast Wing Backs, you could get a huge number of crosses, flying into your box.

Attacking ! You could use it with Control either, it will be a more patient play, not taking as many risks as on Attacking, suitable for lower-table teams. Although this tactic is aggressive and trying to make the game, offering space to the opposition in exchange. If you dont got fast Wing Backs, you could get a huge number of crosses, flying into your box.
I thought so, was just checking as it was control on the download