One thing that Bale had is that he delivers when asked to.
Southampton singed him after he had an amazing game he was being scouted at.
He scored goals for Wales at 17-18 years of age as Gigs was on the verge of retiring.
He had a rocky patch at the beginning of his Spurs career but once they got to the Champions League, he moved up a gear.
Every time he stepped up a level in the game, he found something more in him and got better.

He is a fantastic example of how mentality and being driven dose more for your game than world class facilities and medals.
The change of position helped too, of course. Similar to the likes of Henry. ;)

What Henry and Bale had in common: A manager who trusted their gut instincts.
A good manager + a good player = a great player.

What Henry and Bale had in common: A manager who trusted their gut instincts.
A good manager + a good player = a great player.
True. A big part is that they can get players into a role (or position, in their case) that'll get the best out of them.

That makes no sense. All it meant for Odegaard is that with the better facilities and coaches, he's much more likely to reach the potential he always had. So it means he'll better develop his CA.

Well, i can tell you this much: Voulenteering in football/coaching with children from toddler age up until their mid teens is almost exclusively about moulding their future as a footballer (In addition to making sure they also have fun doing it). It´s very very hard in Norway, as we have strict regulations about children´s sports being competitive on any level. But what I´m saying is - you work with building the future player´s potential. The more you nurse it, the higher the potential gets. It´s all about mentality and a base of abilities making future progress possible.

So an increase in potential is both plausible, and possible, and something that´s being worked on at a daily basis all around the world. You have to build the player before you can mould him. Ability, wether it´s potential or current, as interpreted in a game like FM, isn´t there from birth. It´s created by verious factors :)

Well, i can tell you this much: Voulenteering in football/coaching with children from toddler age up until their mid teens is almost exclusively about moulding their future as a footballer (In addition to making sure they also have fun doing it). It´s very very hard in Norway, as we have strict regulations about children´s sports being competitive on any level. But what I´m saying is - you work with building the future player´s potential. The more you nurse it, the higher the potential gets. It´s all about mentality and a base of abilities making future progress possible.

So an increase in potential is both plausible, and possible, and something that´s being worked on at a daily basis all around the world. You have to build the player before you can mould him. Ability, wether it´s potential or current, as interpreted in a game like FM, isn´t there from birth. It´s created by verious factors :)
That can be explained a different way too ;)

The kids you teach always have that potential. You are instrumental in helping them develop their CA. I'm not knocking what you're doing, because the fact is that you are helping them develop. But you're still helping their CA develop.

Of course these things can start at an early age, but look at someone like Ian Wright. He started playing football very late and he turned out a half decent player. Someone like him always had potential. ****, he probably had more potential and could have been even better had he started earlier. By starting early, the kids are developing properly and getting the right training to eventually reach their potential.

Up to the mid teens, all this is done before they are generated and fall under the youth coaching and youth recruitment figures in the game. The potential figure given, is based on all this already been done and the work of the team before sending the player into the academy in game at 16.

The CA/PA is essentially the work of the (unseen) youth team, saying New Player Boss, he's this good now CA, in a perfect career he could be PA. Good Luck.

Potential ability works perfectly as it is. People saying we don't have an upward limit? Are you crazy, so you could have been Messi? No everybody has a limit, we are born with part of it, as you're born with your body the rest is about how your life is lived and what you experience growing up, each one of us is different to the next, Potential ability should never increase over time, as it is the best your body and mind will allow you to be, but it should be able to decrease, as people get injuries and go through things in there life which make it hard to reach that potential.

The problem with the current system is it doesn't decrease enough, I believe more players should have higher PA but over time it should be able to decrease. This would make it harder to see which players will be the next Messi and Ronaldos, with this current system it's so easy to see who's going to be amazing and harvest them up and dominate in future seasons.

The system needs a few tweaks to add more longevity to the game

I think the best way to approach PA ability in the next few games would be to put everyone at the highest possible level with 200 PA. But with every action it has the possibility of dropping and only those who train the hardest and practice reach the upper levels. A multitude of attributes so correlate to this and mean unless he is severely mentally talented and has a huge work ethic he won't be the best. This is in my opinion the only way to develop a dynamic potential ability basis with it all decreasing rather than increasing and decreasing. The scout then judges them on their ability to work hard, train, be professional and do the right thing for their development for the PA. Because you can still have players who aren't considered world class who turn out to be just that, I mean Bale was pretty average at Spurs until that fateful night at the San Siro, the big stage brought it out in him, I want a game like that. Ronaldo wasn't the best in the world just because of pure natural ability as many managers have noted it is his unyielding training ethic, first one in last one out. That's what I want to see, a more in depth development of players rather than, oh he is 5 star just play him and by 22 he is a world beater, that isn't how it works. Just look at Ravel Morrison, Ferguson said he had the ability to be one of the best youth players he ever had and yet he never lived up to his potential due to his attitude and demeanour.

That's what FM should be.

Potential ability works perfectly as it is. People saying we don't have an upward limit? Are you crazy, so you could have been Messi? No everybody has a limit, we are born with part of it, as you're born with your body the rest is about how your life is lived and what you experience growing up, each one of us is different to the next, Potential ability should never increase over time, as it is the best your body and mind will allow you to be, but it should be able to decrease, as people get injuries and go through things in there life which make it hard to reach that potential.

The problem with the current system is it doesn't decrease enough, I believe more players should have higher PA but over time it should be able to decrease. This would make it harder to see which players will be the next Messi and Ronaldos, with this current system it's so easy to see who's going to be amazing and harvest them up and dominate in future seasons.

The system needs a few tweaks to add more longevity to the game

Messi's potential was restricted as a child as he had a growth hormone deficiency. I guess the potential is always there but it can be increased with hard work and the right attitude.

Another example is Steven Gerrard as he's the only footballer that I've come across that has a club foot - which would affect his balance among other things.

I do think potential needs reworking and at the same time, it should be a lot harder to reach that potential.