April 2019

The first news we got this month was the draw the Champions League Quarter Final.

View attachment 266873

Well it was always going to be a tough draw, Real Madrid it is then! I would have preferred either CSKA Moskow, Southampton or Befica but if we want to win this thing then we have to beat the best anyway!

View attachment 266872

Well, so much for winning every game! We now rely on the other sides slipping up again. Schalke defended really well and a great goal from Aboubakar got them the win.

MAN OF THE MATCH - VINCENT ABOUBAKAR

The only saving grace here is that both Bayern and Hoffenheim drew meaning we stay top.

View attachment 266870

View attachment 266871
The only difference this game week has brought is that our lead has slimmed to just 1 point but worse than that, it means if Bayen win all their remaining 8 games they are guaranteed to be champions.

Some good news came just in time for the Champions League clash with Real Madrid as Yarmolenko resumed full training and was declared fit for the biggest game of the season so far.

View attachment 266868

View attachment 266869

We started really well here but just couldn't hang onto our lead. Yarmolenko's shot was deflected and landed straight to Pastore who netted an easy chance. We looked really good right up until Blind played a stupid ball back to the goalie which Welbeck stole and finished to draw level. Toni Kroos then put his side ahead late on. The tie's still alive, the away goal could play a big part but it would look so much better had the scores stayed level.

MAN OF THE MATCH - TONI KROOS (Pastore for us)

View attachment 266867

Great comeback! I was getting worried after going 1-0 down early on here and even more worried when we were still losing after an hour and being down to 10 men after Vermaelen saw red. Vermaelen only started due to a suspension to Jones and a slight injury to Dante. We then turned on the style after equalising through Barbosa, further goals from Benzema and Yarmolenko as well as another from Barbosa ensured we kept top spot.

MAN OF THE MATCH - BARBOSA

The best news was that both Hoffenheim and Bayern slipped up again.

View attachment 266865

We now find ourselves 4 clear of Hoffenheim who i think are now out of the running and 7 clear of Bayern who still have those 2 games in hand. Its quite simple now, win the next 5 games and we retain the title.

View attachment 266863

View attachment 266866

WE'RE THROUGH!!

What a win! a fantastic defensive performance against a great Real side. Javier Pastore goal just before the hour mark puts us through to the semi's on away goals. In truth, Real had several chances to level and really should have done with chances from Ronaldo and most notably Gareth Bale who had the beating of the whole defence all game. We stood tall and managed to keep out one of the best forward lines in the world.

MAN OF THE MATCH - GARETH BALE (Pastore for us)

View attachment 266862

The draw for the semi final swiftly followed where we were drawn against last years champions, Chelsea.

View attachment 266860

What a ridiculous game of football ! We struggled to create chances all game and never really looked like scoring. Then with just over 10 minutes to go Phil Jones was sent off making our job even harder! I knew a point was useless as we need to win all remaining games so we threw on Benzema and Lucas Boye and pushed everyone forward. This paid off after just a couple of minutes when Benzema fired past the goalie. Then inexplicitly we conceeded as Mainz equalised after a poor error from Rudy. Just before conceeded we brought on Dante to tighten things up, Dante then headed home the winner from a late, late corner. This was much harder than it should have been but a wins a win.

MAN OF THE MATCH - JAVIER LOYOLA (Javier Pastore for us)

View attachment 266859

May 2015

The run in

With a 4 point cushion at the top of the league it was important we won the remaining 4 games which would guarantee the title. Any slip ups however and Bayern will surely capitalise. Bayern are 7 points behind but have 2 games in hand with a very similar goal difference. Any lost points and Bayern can then overtake us.

Our first game of the run in came against 10th placed Bremen who have nothing to play for.

View attachment 266670
A good performance which was made nervy after two late goals conceeded. We raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to goals from Karim Benzema and a brace from Gabriel Barbosa. We then allowed Bremen into the match after an hour with a defensive mistake from Rudy. Bremen then got another back in injury time meaning the last few minutes were pretty nervy!

MAN OF THE MATCH - GABRIEL BARBOSA

View attachment 266664

One bit of good news here is that Hoffenheim drew 1-1 with Stuttgart meaning the table now looked like this.

View attachment 266662

Our attentions now turned to the Champions League Quarter finals against last years winners, Chelsea.

View attachment 266660

We were pretty poor here and only managed one shot on target throughout the game. We went back to our counter attacking tactic which allowed Chelsea most of the ball as we tried to hit them on the break. Chelsea took the lead after 50 minutes through a great strike from Willian, Yarmolenko then leveled from the penalty spot before Chelsea then retook their lead through Nkoulou. This means we have it all do in the second leg YET AGAIN but we've been in this position in the other knockout round and came through it.

MAN OF THE MATCH - CESAR AZPILLICUETA (PHIL JONES FOR US)​

We then returned to league action against Leverkusen meaning we now needed just 3 wins from 3 league games to clinch the title.

View attachment 266659
How disappointing!! A 1-1 draw means the door is now wide open for Bayern who can overtake us if they win their remaining games. We got off to a terrible start with Julian Brandt giving Lerkusen the lead after 2 minutes. We then levelled on the stroke of half time after a Hector Moreno own goal but we just couldn't find the winner.

MAN OF THE MATCH - JULAIN BRANDT (GIL ROMERO for us)​

Our only saving grace here is that Hoffenheim play Bayern in the same game week meaning either a draw or a Hoffenheim win would mean we remain favourites for the title.

View attachment 266658

Unfortunately, our wish didn't come true as Bayern hammered Hoffenheim 5-2 meaning we're now 5 clear of Bayern but they have 2 games in hand.

The best news to come from this game is that we managed to qualify for the Champions League with this point.

View attachment 266657

We now had to switch off from the league and concentrate on the second leg of the Champions League against Chelsea.

View attachment 266656
What a win this was!! A 1-0 victory means we qualify for the final on goal difference. A goal from Dante, in his first season at the club, on the hour mark meant all we had to do was hold out for the remaining half an hour. We actually played really well and created far more than we did in the first leg.

MAN OF THE MATCH - HENRIKH MKITARYAN

View attachment 266655

This win means we enter the final as heavy underdogs against favourites, Barcelona.

Now back to the league and we faced Hertha who we needed to beat and hope Bayern slip up. In the week before the game, Bayern won one of their games in hand meaning they were now 2 points behind with a game in hand.

View attachment 266649

A great win which really should put pressure on Bayern. It was pretty much routine throughout the game. Barbosa struck a brace within half an hour with more goal from Pastore, Yarmolenko and a brace from Luka Jovic. We were so dominant that we had 20 shots on target and restricted to Hertha to none.

MAN OF THE MATCH - ANDRIY YARMOLENKO

View attachment 266647
Again, our pressure on Bayern didn't affect them as they ran out 2-0 winners away to Kaiserslautern. This Bayern remain 2 behind with a game in hand which they play midweek against Mainz.

I dont know how this happened, but it did ...

View attachment 266646

Bayer fall 3-2 away to Mainz. I will forever love Javier Loyola who bagged the winner late on. This now means we need to just win the last game against Paderborn to clinch the title. Meanwhile, any slip ups and Bayern will be on us!!

View attachment 266645

WE'RE CHAMPIONS!!!
A thumping 4-0 win against bottom side Paderborn!! A hattrick from Karim Benzema put the game beyond doubt whilst Pastore bagged the other. As it turned out we only needed to draw here as Bayern only managed a point against Hambur St Pauli.

View attachment 266644

View attachment 266643

Champions League Final

Here we are, the league in the bag but a great chance to cap off the double.

It won't be easy though against a great Barcelona side.

The sides line up as follows -

View attachment 266642

The obvious danger men for Barcelona will be Messi and Suarez up front with Neymar and Thuavin on either wing. If i'm honest their back 4 doesn't look great and their wingers will be so attacking that the full backs wont have support. If we can get enough of the ball to Pastore and Yarmolenko then we'll have a chance.

The only bad news for us is that Barbosa was injured in the run in and will miss the final. Fortunately, Benzema wasn't cup tied as he didn't play for Real in this years competition.

Lets see how the match went on.

View attachment 266641

An unbelievable win! Barcelona actually played right into our hands with both wingers and full backs attacking at will. We managed to get a lot of the ball to the wingers, in particular Yarmolenko who managed to score both goals. His first was a great strike after cutting inside and beating Pique and blasting past the keeper. His second was a tap in from good work from Benzema. Barcelona had plenty of chances but Phil Jones and Dante were superb!!

MAN OF THE MATCH - ANDRIY YARMOLENKO

View attachment 266640

I'm reading it currently but enjoying it so I'd be interested in seeing it some more

Right then, Hi again guys.

After seeing all the new stories pop up recently I thought I'd bring my favorite save back.

If there's any of you who dont remember or never read the story first time around then - it's a story with a difference, there's a few rules I have to keep to ...

View attachment 238554

• [*=center]To make a profit on transfers EVERY season.
    [*=center]Wage cap of £50k per week for ANY player (with 3 exceptions on less than £100k).

[*=center]To not pay excessive agent fees or signing on fees.

[*=center]To have an emphasis on young players who have come through the youth squads.

[*=center]To have an emphasis on English players and to supply the national team with more players than anyone else by the end of the save

[*=center]Avoid signing any wonderkids that are unrealistic signings.

So, as you can see I have a few financial restrictions in this story. So now we've got the rules and aims out of the way, let's re-cap on what's already happened ...

Okay, so I started my career at Tottenham -

View attachment 238555

View attachment 238548

So in the first season we won both the League Cup and the Europa League whilst making a profit of over £14 million on player transfers.

The second season was even more successful, as we went on to win our first Premier League title whilst also winning the Super Cup and losing the final of the League Cup. We also made £26 million in transfers here.

The Dortmund came calling ...

View attachment 238557

View attachment 238547

We had just as much success at Dortmund, winning the league on both occasions after finishing the 6th the previous season.

My biggest achievement however was winning the Champions League in my last game, beating Barcelona 2-0. We also made a huge amount on our transfers, over £47 Million in the last season.

Going forward then, I walked away from Dortmund after leading them to Champions League success.

Let's see where we go from here ...​

Last edited:
View attachment 921411View attachment 238553

GLENN HODDLE COMES OUT OF RETIREMENT

Former Tottenham and Dortmund manager, Glenn Hoddle, has come out of retirement after only announcing it less than two months ago.

Hoddle originally announced his retirement hours after beating Barcelona in the Champions League for Dortmund. This was after picking up league titles for both Dortmund (2) and Tottenham.

It is not yet know whether he will revert his decision and stay with Dortmund or whether he'll look for a new challenge.

MORE TO FOLLOW ...​

Less than an hour after this news broke, I had a call from the Dortmund board ...

Board - Hello Glenn, how are things?

Glenn Hoddle - I'm good thanks, what can I do for you?

Board - I've just heard the news about you coming out of retirement. That didn't last long did it?

Glenn Hoddle - No it didn't. After I spoke to my family we decided it was too soon, I've got one more challenge left in me.

Board - Well for what it's worth, I think it's the right decision. So, what do you say ... come back to Dortmund? One more season?

Glenn Hoddle - I'm afraid not boss. I have to move back home to be nearer to my family.

Board - Come on Glenn, we've had so much success in the last couple of years, lets be the first team to re-claim the Champions League! I know you can do it!

Glenn Hoddle - I'm sorry. I'v loved my time here but England's calling, I have to move home.

Board - Okay, we'll the offer is always there. Let me know if you EVER change your mind.

Shortly after that my agent rang me with some job opportunities ...

View attachment 238552

Agent - Hi Glenn, I've been searching around for some jobs for you. Barcelona, Juventus and Rome are all interested. What do you think?

Glenn Hoddle - No good, I want something in England.

Agent - There's only one job available in the Premiership ... Everton who finished 6th last season.

Glenn Hoddle - That's perfect! They're just like Tottenham when we took over there a few years ago.

Agent - But, we really should be aiming higher than that.

Glenn Hoddle - No it's a good challenge. Set up an interview.

Agent - So we're turning down Barcelona and Juventus for Everton?!?

Glenn Hoddle - Yes! Everton's perfect.

can I beg you to manage man utd

Haha, Man Utd offered me the job just before I went to Dortmund. The problem is they'd be impossible to manage with these wage restrictions. They've only got 4 players in the squad on under £50k per week. I'd love to manage them though, they've won 3 titles in a row now :)

The next day I received an email from my agent ...

"Hello Glenn,

I've been talking to Bill Kenwright about the vacant Everton managers position. They can't wait to get you on board. They're not even bothered about an interview! They've offered you the job straight away ...

View attachment 238545

Let me know what you think and I'll get it all sorted for you.

Cheers!"​

So, my first day at the club I watched the lads train to see where we need to improve ...

View attachment 238480

The team only managed a 6th place finish last season so I know there's some improvement to be made.

View attachment 238478

So anyway, I managed to look into each position to see who's going to stay and who's on their way ...

GOALKEEPERS:

View attachment 238477

So, we currently have 2 'keepers in the squad. Jan Mucha providing experience and back up to current number 1, Jason Steele.

According to my coach reports, Steele is a decent option and should be good enough. Jan Much though doesn't look that great, he'll be back up at best.

I doubt the budget will stretch as far as a new 'keeper but if it does I'll certainly be interested.

CENTER BACKS:

View attachment 238476

The center back position is probably the strongest area of the team.

The center back pairing will probably be Musacchio and Chiriches, although this will depend on whether we keep Musacchio as he would also class as an 'over budget player'.

Samuel Umtiti and Alberto Botia provide decent cover.

If Musacchio does leave we'll have to look for a replacement however.

FULL BACKS:

View attachment 238475

With the full backs, it looks as though we'll be relying on the old guard of Seamus Coleman and Leighton Baines.

My only concern with these 2 is that Leighton Baines is on £100k per week which is right on the limit of what I'll allow and will be classed as one of our 'over budget players'.

Seamus Coleman looks to have maybe lost a yard of pace as he hits 30 but he's still class and looks great going forward.

Boilesen looks to be the only competition for Baines as the only other left back in the squad, Samuel Umtiti can also play here but he favours a central position.

Hugo Mallo is also the only competition for right back. There doesn't look to be too much between him and Coleman. Mallo started every game last season with Coleman as back up but I see it being the other way around.

CENTER MIDFIELD:

View attachment 238474

We are blessed with talent in central midfield, especially youngsters who have bags of potential.

James McCarthy is without doubt the best player here and is now 28 years old with over 200 Premier League appearances.

The only problem with McCarthy is that he's on £84,000 players so he will again count as an 'over budget player'.

McCarthy's experience will be vital as he can take Martin Odegaar under his wing. Odegaard looks a great player and is still only 20. I'm not sure yet though whether he can play this deeper role or whether he needs to be behind the strikers.

Ryan Ledston is another young lad with a bright future ahead of him. Although he's slightly older than Odegaard, he's a little behind him with him progression. I'm not sure if he can handle Premier League football yet.

Brendon Galloway, Nicolas Lodeiro, Vladimir Darida and Younes Belhanda all offer decent cover with the latter also able to play wide.

ATTACKING MIDFIELD:

View attachment 238473

Niether Mirallas nor Santi Cazorla seem to have aged that well if our scout reports are anything to go by.

Cazorla is now 34 and has only made 14 appearances for Everton in 2 years after joining from Arsenal.

Mirallas on the other hand has stayed a regular and has now made over 180 appearances for the club in a 7 year stay. However, I will look to offload him straight away. His current wage is £72,000 which doesn't reflect his ability and would again class as an 'over budget player'.

Balde Keita is the shining light here, he's the best player at the club but has failed to impress so far on merseyside having only scored 11 goals last season. The only dilemma with him is whether he plays out-wide or up-front.

STRIKERS:

View attachment 238471

Niether Mirallas nor Santi Cazorla seem to have aged that well if our scout reports are anything to go by.

Cazorla is now 34 and has only made 14 appearances for Everton in 2 years after joining from Arsenal.

Mirallas on the other hand has stayed a regular and has now made over 180 appearances for the club in a 7 year stay. However, I will look to offload him straight away. His current wage is £72,000 which doesn't reflect his ability and would again class as an 'over budget player'.

Balde Keita is the shining light here, he's the best player at the club but has failed to impress so far on merseyside having only scored 11 goals last season. The only dilemma with him is whether he plays out-wide or up-front.

SQUAD:

View attachment 238470

As you can see, we currently have 6 players over our allocation of £50k per week - Balde Keita, James McCarthy, Mateo Musacchio, Kevin Mirallas, Leighton Baines and Olivier Giroud.

After watching the first training session its pretty safe to say that Leighton Baines, Balde Keita and James McCarthy are the 3 best players of those. The only real disappointment will be losing Musacchio. He's only on £53k per week but he will no budge on his wage demands!​

After seeing the lads train for the first time, I could see we needed to improve in most positions is we wanted to aim for a top 4 finish!

As I needed to do things on a budget, I immediately asked the scouts to have a look at the fee agents.

Guess who they found ...

View attachment 238149

TOM CLEVERLEY

My old partner in crime at Tottenham when we won the league!

He's currently a free agent with his contract due to expire in the next couple of week. My scout report says he isn't really good enough but I know the quality Tom has!

I didn't agree with the report so I gave him a call (I still had his number from our Tottenham days)

View attachment 238148

Tom Cleverley - "Hello, who's this?"

Glenn Hoddle - Its Glenn, how are you mate?

Tom Cleverley - "Oh hi gaffer, things are good! I suppose congratulations are in order".

Glenn Hoddle - Thanks! How's the search for a new club going?

Tom Cleverley - "Not bad gaffer, I've had a couple of offers from the Championship and one from France".

Glenn Hoddle - The Championship!! Are you mad!

Tom Cleverley - "There isn't anyone higher up interested".

Glenn Hoddle - There is!

Tom Cleverley - "Who?" ...

Glenn Hoddle - Everton.

Tom Cleverley - "Are you serious? I'd love to gaffer!"

Glenn Hoddle - Yeah. I'm going to set up a meeting for you with the chairman. I'll make sure he offers you a fair deal.

Tom Cleverley - "Wow, thanks boss. I don't know what to say".

Glenn Hoddle - Just sign the ******* contract and see me on Monday!

Tom Cleverley - "Will do boss".

A couple of days later the club announced the signing of Cleverley - I was delighted.

View attachment 238147

As promised, he came to see me at his office the very next day.

Glenn Hoddle - Hi Tom, thanks for seeing me.

Tom Cleverley - No worries gaffer. Did you want something?

Glenn Hoddle - I just wanted to let you know of my intentions on using you this season.

Tom Cleverley - I know I've only signed as a back-up gaffer, thats whats on my contract and I'm quite happy with that.

Glenn Hoddle - No Tom, I want you to start every game! I'm looking to bring in one more midfielder but you're a starter! Every week, whenever your fit.

Tom Cleverley - Wow boss. Do you think I'm up to it?

Glenn Hoddle - I know you are! Just perform like you did at Spurs and you'll be fine. I know you've only played 7 games over the last 2 season so you need a good pre-season! Get your head down and don't let me down.

Tom Cleverley - I won't boss. I promise.​

After signing Tom Cleverley, there was only man I want to partner him in midfield.

View attachment 238146

I look at signing Alli when I was at Dortmund but they wanted too much for him. So I couldn't believed when my offer was accepted ...

View attachment 238145

Only £9 Million as well, £6 million of that to be paid up-front with another £3 million over 30 months!

I honestly can't believe they've accepted such a small amount for a player who's picked up 24 international caps and over a 115 Premier League appearances.

This lad is special and really could be the deciding factor whether we get top 4 or not.​

View attachment 238142

After those 2 additions to the squad, we then had a couple of offers to deal with ourselves ...

View attachment 237930

First up Norwich offered for youngster, Brendan Galloway.

Although Galloway is only a fringe player I really don't want to lose him!

View attachment 237929

His stats aren't great but there's still plenty of time to improve. I was pretty surprised about the amount that Norwich offered as £7.25 million is a lot for a young kid who hasn't featured much.

He won't really be playing much this season as Dele Alli, Tom Cleverley and James McCarthy will be first choice this season.

That brings me nicely onto James McCarthy ...

View attachment 237928

Southampton offer, in total, £19.7 million for the Irishman.

This offer is stupidly low! For a player of his quality with over 280 Premier League appearances and 60 international caps, I'd want considerably more than £19 million!

View attachment 237927

His stats are pretty good and offers brilliant experience which we really need. My plan is for him to sit just behind Cleverley and Alli in midfield.​

BOTH OFFERS WERE REJECTED!