Ramming Our Way Back Among the Best: A Tale of the Rejuvenation of Derby County

MARCH

download

Yes, I know. I was really ****** off. I reverted back to 4-3-3 DM Wide for one, ONE match, and we lost 0-6? After scoring 24 goals in the last 6 matches, we scored NONE? I seriously considered throwing my computer out of the window. Also, two 4-4 draws in 3 matches? Where did my defence go?

April couldn't come any sooner.

Player of the Month

_66221221_159544004.jpg

CHRISTOPHER MARK EAGLES
Average Rating: 7.04

Flying like an eagle down the right wing (pun obviously intended), he has been spraying crosses like nobody's business and, more often than not, he found his target. An eye-popping SIX assists in five matches this month has made him one of the few players who performed well in an otherwise lacklustre month.​

APRIL +1

download

In case you're wondering, +1 refers to that extra match that took place in May. The seven matches were played in less than 30 days, anyway, so I just included that match here.

This is a great month to end the season with. A 7-match unbeaten run (10 if you include March) had a very positive effect on our points tally. Who's the new guy, you ask? That's Mark O'Brien. He has been hidden in the U21 squad until I needed him due to the injury of Ryan Shotton and Jake Buxton, as well as the suspension of captain Richard Keogh. Glad you brought him up, though, because he's our final...

Player of the Month

_66631017_pa-15599739.jpg

MARK LEO O'BRIEN
Average Rating: 8.10

Due to the aforementioned injuries and suspension, I had to promote O'Brien to the first-team, as well as gave former captain Shaun Barker his first chance since returning from injury a few months ago. However, it was O'Brien who stole the show with five goals to his name -all from corner kicks- in as many matches, which is an incredible feat for a defender. He's not all about scoring, though, as he displayed some brilliant defensive displays over his brief spell these last few matches. Better late than never for him, I guess, because he's definitely in my consideration for next season.​

SEASON SUMMARY

So, ready to see where we stand?

download

download

CHAMPIONS! DERBY COUNTY ARE CHAMPIONS! Middlesbrough never let go of our tail the whole season, but our good form managed to shake them off eventually. We also set a new record of the number of goals scored by a club in a season, with our 125 goals beating Middlesbrough's previous record of 122, though our defensive record isn't worth being proud of. I reserve my pity to Watford, though, as they have been close to Middlesbrough and us for much of the season but their late drop in form saw them fall to sixth, and still losing the battle for promotion.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth, the real-life champions, barely hung on to stay in Championship next season. Rotherham, Millwall, and Blackpool had to accept their fate and play in League One.

TOP SCORER

_78778974_458400218.jpg

JOHNATHON SIMPSON SNEDDEN RUSSELL
Goals In All Competitions: 25

His lethal form at the beginning of the season was more than enough to make up for his brief goal drought midway through the season. However, he started banging them in again as the season progresses and he finished the season as the club's top scorer. He is also the league's top scorer with 22 league goals in 45 games.

Chris Martin and Chris Eagles came second and third respectively, with 19 and 15 goals.

MOST ASSISTS

chris-eagles-goal-forest-4x3201-351481_478x359.jpg

CHRISTOPHER MARK EAGLES
Assists In All Competitions: 28

He's been brilliant down the wing this season. His crosses were accurate, and he didn't hesitate to cut in when the situation requires. He is also a great set-piece taker, as he has scored goals from free-kicks and assisting much more from his corner kicks. Snapping him up on a free transfer was a spot-on decision and a total bargain considering what he has done for us.

Luke Garbutt was some way off Eagles with 17 assists to his name, and Johnny Russell was close behind with 16 assists.

That marks the end of my first campaign as Derby County manager, and I'm looking forward to next season where we will play against the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Much work is needed at the transfer market to strengthen our squad, that's for sure.

Until next season, see ya!​

Derby County Ram Their Way to Championship Title

_81154713_derby_celebrate.jpg

Derby players celebrate title win with their mascot

Derby County clinched their fifth Championship title in style after a 4-2 win over Huddersfield with two games to spare. Second-placed Middlesbrough's 0-1 loss against Norwich City meant that the gap became 7 points, rendering Derby mathematically impossible to catch.

This also meant that Derby have secured promotion to the Premier League for the first time in 7 years after being relegated in 2008.

Derby have been the surprise package in the Championship this season, being initially predicted to finish outside the playoff spots. However, the appointment of the then-unknown manager James Kaligis prior to the start of the season has been proven correct as he led the outsiders to a shock title.

To start off, Kaligis proved that good businesses don't necessarily have to be expensive. Chris Eagles and Luke Garbutt, signed on a free transfer and Luke Garbutt loaned from Everton respectively, recorded a combined total of 45 assists last season. Also, Tyler Blackett was loaned from Manchester United for a reported loan fee of £40,000 per month and was a solid choice in Derby's defence until his injury at the last stretch of the season.

Tactically, Kaligis also made some interesting changes in the team. Scottish striker and wing-back Jamie Ward and Craig Forsyth both played in left-wing most of the time, while English defender Ryan Shotton started the season as right-back, although he was eventually moved back to central defence.

When asked about these odd decisions, Kaligis answered calmly, "My tactical decisions at the start of the season were based on the team's performances in pre-season matches. Johnny (Russell), Chris (Martin), and Leon (Best) played well as strikers, so Jamie (Ward) would not play as much if he insisted to play up front. In order to fit him in the squad, I moved him to the left wing but still give him the freedom to cut inside whenever necessary to entertain his striker's instincts.

"I brought Luke Garbutt in and his performance level in pre-season matches gave me no reason not to start him at left-back, so in order to accommodate Craig (Forsyth) I kept rotating him with Jamie at left wing since we had no natural left winger in the team.

"Also, from what I saw in pre-season matches, neither Kieron (Freeman) nor Cyrus (Christie) were ready to start games regularly. Richard Keogh is a natural leader at the heart of the defence, so there was no way I was gonna play him out of position if it wasn't necessary. That left me with only one other personnel who can play at right-back: Ryan Shotton."

These arguments showed that Kaligis isn't just keen to improve the squad; he also tried to give everyone a chance in the team, though not always in their natural positions. He frequently stated that the team was enjoying their football, and we can see why. Clearly, Derby chose the right man to lead The Rams and with the Premier League in store for them next season, their fans will hope that their good form may continue.

2015/16 PRE-SEASON

Transfer Activities

download

As you can see, I have been relatively busy in the transfer window. The players in the "Out" section are either unneeded players who ran out of contract or youth players leaving on loan; nothing more. However, there was one more player leaving the club but not mentioned in the list: Kelle Roos. He didn't have that high of a potential anyway and my assistant recommended a mutual termination of Roos' contract, so I figured it's in the best interest of both parties; we can give the chance to another player with better potential and we don't waste his time hoping to displace Lee Grant when he can play many more games in another club.

Out of the six loan players I had last season, four have returned to their parent clubs: Leon Best to Blackburn Rovers, Omar Mascarell to Real Madrid, Jordon Ibe to Liverpool, and Tyler Blackett to Manchester United. Though they were useful in their own ways, I'm not offering them the chance to stay permanently for different reasons. Best's wage was too high though he didn't play as well as the other strikers, Mascarell and Ibe weren't anywhere near first-team Premier League quality yet, and the resurgence of Mark O'Brien meant I don't really need Blackett anymore.

As for the players coming in, there was one particular plan that I had in mind: expand the squad. Premier League is going to be much tougher, so I need more firepower in case my main players become unavailable for one reason or another. Gianluca Chimenti, John Banks, and Robbie Bateman are all young players with great potential who will play in the development teams for now. I'll explain the rest one by one.

Luke Samuel Garbutt

luke-garbutt-front.ashx

I'm sure you already know him if you've been following my story. I made his move permanent and for 5.5 million, he's my biggest signing in this transfer window and I think it's justified. A solid choice at left-back last season, he has a sterner test coming up for him: being a first-team regular in the Premier League.

Ryan Colin Shotton

9268580-large.jpg

This isn't actually my decision. When I arrived, his status was still a loan player, but he already had a transfer arranged to go through in this transfer window. Anyway, he made a good partnership with captain Richard Keogh, so I won't complain.

Diego Sebastian Laxalt Suarez

Diego%20Laxalt%20Genoa%20CFC%20v%20Hellas%20Verona%20FC%20fSXUAUKSeVKl.jpg

I decided to give Jamie Ward a competition for next season. Also, since Ward isn't getting any younger, I might as well look for a young left winger. Therefore, when I saw Internazionale released Diego Laxalt, I picked him up for free. His stats are actually comparable to the level of our squad, so he would be a great addition.

Andrea Belotti

Andrea-Belotti-2.jpg

The 21 years old Italian striker is a more than capable replacement for Leon Best, but the player I want him to specifically challenge is Chris Martin. He showed me last season that even though he had a pretty good goal tally, he can be inconsistent. Therefore, Belotti can capitalise when Martin's form drops and maybe make the Advanced Forward position his own if he plays well enough.

Micah Lincoln Richards

Micah-Richards-007.jpg

Oh, Micah Richards, whatever happened to you? He was once touted as the next England right-back but Manchester City doesn't seem to give him any chance and he finally went out of contract. He kept falling behind in City's pecking order now that City have Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna. I want to give him that chance to restart his career, especially since Kieron Freeman's form wasn't very encouraging. He's probably going to be my first-choice initially, but I expect him to keep his performances up. Now that he's free from the **** that is Manchester City, I really hope he can at least rediscover his form that earned him the hype.

Jak Alnwick

178423.jpg

The young English goalkeeper is signed to be an understudy to Lee Grant, but I truly believe Alnwick can surpass him. He has a great potential to be a great Premier League 'keeper in the future and all he needs is a proper tutoring, which he will definitely get in Derby County.

Marco D'Alessandro

596fbbf2b2cf23874df3c1a72f1be418-14756-1407024520.jpeg

Signed on loan from Atalanta, he is going to be a backup for Chris Eagles. If Eagles is unavailable, I won't have any natural replacement for him, hence the rationale of this signing. He may not be better than Eagles, but I think D'Alessandro can do enough to fill in if he's not playing. I won't expect him to kick Eagles out of the starting XI, though, but I won't rule it out either.

Luca Castiglia

castiglia.jpg

How did I sign THREE Italians?

Anyway, similar to D'Alessandro, he's loaned in purely to be a backup to Will Hughes. Sure, I have George Thorne who can play in Hughes' position, but there might be a time when I need to use both Thorne at DM and Hughes/Castiglia at CM in a midfield triangle, since I sometimes play 4-1-2-2-1. Anyway, it won't hurt to have a fifth midfielder in the team, right? Not to mention there aren't any good midfielders in the U21 squad yet. He didn't get to play much for Juventus, so I figured it would be easier to lure him in compared to other targets.

Pre-Season Matches

download

To me, pre-season matches are more about building fitness, although I still do expect a certain level of performance from the players. Great to see Andrea Belotti settling in pretty quickly by scoring four goals against Burton; that will give me something to think about regarding player selection. Other than that, a perfect record in pre-season would give my players the much needed confidence moving into the new season in a much tougher league.

Premier League, here we come.

August

download

Premier League has fewer matches than the Championship, so I guess that's why it starts later. Three matches in the span of 7 days wasn't easy to go through, but fortunately one of them was a Capital One Cup match against a lower-league team, so I had the chance to rest the first-team regulars and give the backups a chance to impress. All in all, a good first month as a Premier League club!

Barclays Premier League
Swansea City 1-2 Derby County

download

I expected Swansea to be a tough opponent, and to be honest this match was as close as it could get. Russell's goal was a good team effort as Shotton crossed the ball from the right for Keogh to knock it down to Russell who was unmarked in an otherwise crowded penalty box. However, Kucka struck a loose ball to equalise as Hendrick lost the air battle against Michu in an attempt to clear the ball. Ward's goal was similar to Russell's as Eagles crossed from the left to Hughes, who headed the ball down for Ward to strike. Though it was close, I'm happy we could start the league with a victory.

Man of the Match: Will Hughes, same rating as Juraj Kucka

Capital One Cup Second Round
Derby County 4-1 Bradford City

download

A routine win, I'd say, despite fielding a relatively weaker team. Jak Alnwick made his debut in this match, and he was solid between the sticks bar the unfortunate Aaron McLean goal. I've decided that I'm going to split the goalkeeping duties between Grant and Alnwick with Grant the first-choice in Premier League and Alnwick being given a run in cup matches.

Russell opened the scoring with a tidy finish, but Martin stole the show with a brilliant brace, one of them a beautiful free-kick in the 25th minute. His second was a result of an excellent teamwork from Bryson, Russell and Martin himself as three first touch passes between them released Martin to score a placed finish. This victory means we're moving on to the third round, where Manchester City await.

Man of the Match: Chris Martin

Barclays Premier League
Derby County 0-0 Crystal Palace

download

Well, as the picture may suggest, there were nothing interesting to note except for Joe Ledley's injury. This was a drab match where either team couldn't create many chances, but blew it when they did. This is my first 0-0 result in this Derby run, just for your information.

Man of the Match: Jonny Williams (Crystal Palace), with 4 other players having the same rating.

Player of the Month

mob_2696313.jpg

MARK LEO O'BRIEN
Average Rating: 7.47

Well, what do you know? The young defender has done it again, though this month he didn't score any goals. His defensive displays, however, were outstanding. He held his ground against Swansea and Crystal Palace and helped us to limit the number of goals concede to just one in the league. O'Brien is quickly developing into a quality defender and hopefully, he can continue everything good he has done so far.

Next Month...

download

Four matches are in store next month, including a Capital One Cup clash against the blue half of Manchester and a rivalry continued from the Championship days against Middlesbrough. Out of the three league matches, I will be expecting around five points. For the Cup match against City, at most, I would expect a win on penalties, although I think we will lose.

Well, Premier League matches sure are much tougher than Championship matches. However, we are on a pretty good run here, and I intend to stay on the same path.

Until next month, see ya!