@fplcentre

Reaction score
Rockpie's Possession 4-5-1

I've had a lot of enjoyment playing with this tactic in my Cardiff save and now I feel confident enough about it to share it with everyone for testing. The basic concept is what you would expect. Keep the ball with a slow tempo when in possession and press the opponent when out of possession. One of the things that impresses me most is how good the tactic is defensively with a lot of clean sheets. You can also expect to regularly achieve 60-70% possession while playing attractive football and creating good chances. The only issue is that it does struggle against teams that are obviously better. You can't expect to beat Man City with this tactic if you are Norwich, for example.

In terms of attack it is very important to have good wingers and a target man as most goals will come from crosses. Even though the tactic doesn't say to exploit the wings, that's where the most space will be and having wingers with the preferred move of 'run down right/left flank' will mean they will beat their man and put in balls for the target man.

The Possession 2.0 tactic is the one I use most and works best in my opinion. The Possession 4-5-1 tactic is what I originally created and I've uploaded both so you can try which one you feel fits your team best.

2ma87d.png

The wing backs should have the preferred moves to get forward and dribble down left/right flank. You can also tell them to avoid weaker foot if they are weak or very weak.

The centre backs should have the preferred move to mark tightly and avoid weaker foot.

The half back should have the preferred move to play simple passes and get forward

The B2B mid should have stops play, plays one-twos, dictates tempo and gets into opposition area.

The playmaker should have plays short passes, plays killer passes, plays one-twos and gets forward. He can also dictate tempo if the B2B cannot learn it.

The wingers should run with ball often, run with ball down left/right flank, it is ok for the wingers to hug the line to get more assists or cut inside to get more goals, but they shouldn't be set to inside forwards. You will also need a strong right foot for the right wing and strong left foot for the left wing. Players like Tom Ince are good because they can play both wings and have 2 strong feet.

The target man should play with back to goal and play one-twos. Also follow staff advice on whether he should shoot with power or place his shots.

Opposition Instructions

I manually look at the opposition strikers and midfielders and do the following:

If bravery is 12 or below set to hard tackling. Do not set to the 'show to weaker foot option'. If a player is right footed, tell your players to specifically show to the left foot and vice versa for left footed players.

I also go through opposition substitutes and use the same rules to the strikers and midfielders on the bench so that if they come on later in the game the instructions are already set.

2013/14

ncfw5c.png

2014/15

2jepvmu.png

2ryg6c5.png

2hnop5e.png

2015/16

21ay6jd.png

2wmzx9w.png

316af74.png

Last edited:
I will give it a go for a few games mate.
I am Man U so I'm expected to win most games but I'll let you know how I get on.
keep an eye on here, I'll blast out 5 games and get back to you.

Some good possession and passing stats

struggled to a 1-1 away draw with championship side Reading.

Drew 0-0 away against spurs they didn't have a shot on target.

beat Everton 1-0 at home was lucky and I didn't look like scoring.

drew 1-1 at home to Hull they had 1 shot on target which was a penalty.

took 117 mins to beat Reading 1-0 at home in the replay.

perhaps a bit longer to get used to the tactic would have helped.

Some good possession and passing stats

struggled to a 1-1 away draw with championship side Reading.

Drew 0-0 away against spurs they didn't have a shot on target.

beat Everton 1-0 at home was lucky and I didn't look like scoring.

drew 1-1 at home to Hull they had 1 shot on target which was a penalty.

took 117 mins to beat Reading 1-0 at home in the replay.

perhaps a bit longer to get used to the tactic would have helped.

was that with the original or the 2.0? like every tactic it works best when the team is fluid in all aspects yeah. thanks for trying it out.