Several specific tactical questions.....

barcelonic

Reaction score
Thought Id roll these questions into one thread for the tacticians amongst you to see if you can help me with?

• What type of striker can I train to chip the keeper when one-on-one?
  • With strikers with good ANT, AGI and ACC, is it better to train them to 'beat offside trap' or to 'play with back to defender'?
  • Is it always best to set your FB/WB mentalities to 'Automatic'?
  • When playing 2 or 3 CBs, does it matter on which side i place them, in terms of either their main strengths (aerial/speed) or the foot they play best with?
  • When playing with width is it better to play through the middle, and when playing narrow is it better to exploit the flanks?
  • I always set wide players to either hug touchline or cut inside - what is the benefit/purpose of having you wide players 'move into channels'?
  • How many of you take the following into account when determining style of play?: weather conditions (rain is supposed to be bad for short passing), opposition scout reports and away pitch dimensions, backroom advice meeting observations.
I have a lot more but these are the main ones Im not quite sure about.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out,

Cheers :)

Thought Id roll these questions into one thread for the tacticians amongst you to see if you can help me with?

[*]What type of striker can I train to chip the keeper when one-on-one?

Supposedly ones with fairly high creativity and flair.

[*]With strikers with good ANT, AGI and ACC, is it better to train them to 'beat offside trap' or to 'play with back to defender'?

No right answer as it depends on other things too and where the striker is operating and how your team functions, but would say the general answer would be 'beat offside trap'.

[*]Is it always best to set your FB/WB mentalities to 'Automatic'?

Always? No. Depends on how willing you are to tinker and how reliant you are on letting the game try to figure out what's best for your team.

[*]When playing 2 or 3 CBs, does it matter on which side i place them, in terms of either their main strengths (aerial/speed) or the foot they play best with?

Yes in terms of their preferred foot, yes in terms of who they may be directly facing on the opposing side, no in terms of tactical decision making or positioning. There's other effects too - say your left sided centre back is being dragged out wide to cover a lot, if he's got the skills to operate as a left back, he'll operate better in terms of decision making and positional play than if he hasn't got them when in that part of the pitch.

[*]When playing with width is it better to play through the middle, and when playing narrow is it better to exploit the flanks?

Question sounds confused. The touchline commands are to modify your base tactics. So if you're set up to play narrow and then tell your team to play wider, then you'll actually be playing wider than how you initially set up your team...

[*]I always set wide players to either hug touchline or cut inside - what is the benefit/purpose of having you wide players 'move into channels'?

Exploits the space between fullback and centreback. Gives more direct route to goal for a shot or pulls centrebacks out of position for ball to create goal.

[*]How many of you take the following into account when determining style of play?: weather conditions (rain is supposed to be bad for short passing), opposition scout reports and away pitch dimensions, backroom advice meeting observations.

Staff observations are useful but need to be judged on merits due to quality of staff affecting accuracy of them.

Define style of play? Would I take Arsenal to Bognor Regis on a wet night in November with a pitch like a quagmire and ask them to play a passing game on the deck creating neat triangles with one touch football? No. But then I wouldn't be asking them to be punting up to a target man and hoping for flick ons either ;) Likewise, high pressing/high tempo game in hot weather/climates is frequently suicidal if not used sparingly.

Last edited:
Always? No. Depends on how willing you are to tinker and how reliant you are on letting the game try to figure out what's best for your team.

I hate having to change individual player settings, six or seven times a game depending on how things are going - i'd rather change the overall mentality and have my wide players adjust accordingly, so i'll guess Ill leave that as is for now, thanks.

Question sounds confused. The touchline commands are to modify your base tactics. So if you're set up to play narrow and then tell your team to play wider, then you'll actually be playing wider than how you initially set up your team...

Gotcha, thanks!

Thanks dude, i think i'll have to experiement a little with having my wide players move into channels sometimes. Does it work better on wide or narrow pitches, and does does it work better if I dont have anyone in the hole behind the striker(s)?

Thanks dude, i think i'll have to experiement a little with having my wide players move into channels sometimes. Does it work better on wide or narrow pitches, and does does it work better if I dont have anyone in the hole behind the striker(s)?

Too many factors involved to narrow it down to "if X, then do Y" as it also depends on how opposition play. Best thing to do is grab a beer and some popcorn and experiment whilst watching a match from 1st minute to 90th and making slight changes every 15 minutes or so to see what effects they have on the movements of your players. Consider things like PPMs too which will also play a big role in how players move, as well as what attributes they have. Also consider where players end up at the end of moves eg no point having three people all heading into the same channel and no-one in the middle for the cutback, likewise if your winger is cutting inside, who is providing width if he can't cross across the box from there?

Heading into football philosophy land now though. Only right answer is what works for you and your players. ;) Have fun experimentng.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Just another thought - The Better Half has an exceptional understanding of how to set up a team tactically, so having a look at those tactics is always worthwhile if you're trying to see how to make a balanced set-up.