Shane Long, the deadliest striker?

AayushCFC

Reaction score
He's been on outrageous form lately. I mean seriously, his decision making is surprisingly good. Has been better than most of Europe's elite for me, does not fluff clear cut chances AT ALL. When he has the ball in a clear cut situation,
I've started feeling surprisingly confident, which I haven't with any of the striker in FM14.

I've played him in 3 roles in different matches in different tactics. Poacher, Deep Lying Forward, Advanced Forward.

I can't explain in words how happy I feel with his goals, He doesn't score screamers, but he does not fluff chances despite his okay-ish stats.

View attachment 434542

View attachment 434541

Seems me going on about him in every striker thread is paying off <)

I use him as a DLF most of the time, like you said he doesn't tend to score many screamers or overly brilliant goals, he tends to just put away the ones he should and he does it often.
Good for 25-30 goals a season for four or five seasons.

Start of February, he's been playing CAM a fair bit so my regen striker can get more game time so hasn't scored as much.

View attachment 434538

Last edited:
Haha, I've to be honest, I've read your comment about Shane Long somewhere. WBA is a team I like, especially on FM. I'm surprised I haven't managed it in FM14 yet.

Haha, I've to be honest, I've read your comment about Shane Long somewhere. WBA is a team I like, especially on FM. I'm surprised I haven't managed it in FM14 yet.

They have a fairly solid team, full backs need replacing asap and need a young CB to come in to switch out for Olsson and more options out wide after you get rid of the deadwood, but the rest is pretty decent.

I got Tom Ince on cheap, Also got Hughes for Morrison and Dorrans since I play 4-3-3. Sold Mulumbu for solid money, got Annan from Schalke for 400k, spent that money on Jonathan Silva and Kieran Trippier. Sold Anichebe for 3M and Brunt for 4M, brought wonderkids like Zivkovic, Rugani and Jerome Sinclair for compensation fees. Wholesale changes. :p

Tried to sell Olsson but no one bought him, I kept Yacob and also signed him on a new contract, have to say he's pretty loyal. I have kept my eyes on Balanta who has 20 determination, could be future captain with little boost in leadership.

I try to keep Mulumbu and Yacob, I play two CMs as BWM and DLP and they both fit perfectly.
Hughes and Silva are both perfect signings, I signed them both myself in my save, I kept Morrison and brunt as they're both pretty reliable and play well, sold Dorrans, Anichebe, Sessegnon and Yacob left second season once the big teams came in for him.
Got Baumann in on a free to replace Foster, Sergi Roberto and Dos Santos for next to nothing as cover in the middle and Iancu has been my biggest signing so far at 11mil.

Dawson and Olsson still at CB but I have a regen ready to replace Olsson next season.

I got Yacob for Anchor/BWM, Annan is my backup BWM when I play tough games 4-3-3. I also got Lewis Baker on loan from Chelsea, I use him as DLP. I have my eyes on Jordy Casie as well.

Ah ****, Liam Ridgewell who was performing exceptionally and keeping Silva out got injured for 7 weeks, at 29, I don't think I'll extend his contract anymore. How's Aaron Cresswell?

Edit: Nvm, Cresswell out for 3 months, seems like I'll look for Neil Taylor, I'll keep tapping him up so he won't sign a new contract, will try to sign him for free.

Last edited:
Update, he's carried his form. 13 goals in 9 games so far, 1 assist in League Cup game after coming in extra time, a great through ball which I didn't expect from a player of 10 passing and 10 creativity..

He has been an awesome striker for me, Im hull and bought him the first season and has been fantastic, I play 4231 with him being an advanced forward

2013/14 season- 35 appearances, 17 goals, 6.93 rating
14/15- 33appearnces 16 goals, 7.07 rating
15/16- 34 appearances 25 Goals, 7.34 Rating

Got him yesterday for 6M in the second season. Bargain for a striker who gets so many goals in the toughest leagues in Europe!

Last edited:
Shane long has continued his outrageous form, this is insane. He doesn't disappear in big games, he can't be marked out of the game. He got an assist against City, scored and assisted against Chelsea (away) and scored late equalizer against Spurs in injury time.

View attachment 434200

He's also improving at this age of 26.

View attachment 434198

He has also formed a great striker partnership with Saido Berahino, I do not play two striker formation, Berahino plays as Shadow Striker in 4-2-3-1 and Inside forward on either wings when I play 4-3-3. Berahino seems to racking up a lot of assists even though he has poor teamwork, passing and creativity. These two are in absolutely ground breaking form, I'm leading the league in my first season. These two in attack, Yacob and Olsson in defense.

Berahino - View attachment 434197

I don't know, his stats are ordinary as you can see. His PPMs are pretty normal as well. None of Shoots with power or places shots Only acceleration is stand-out, rest all average and some stats are even below par. He even seems to have low PA.

His current stats for me are- 18 matches, 25 goals. He could go on to score 50 goals in this season if he doesn't get injured or out of form.

He isn't Long enough to score header like a Target Man (excuse the pun). He just seems to put simple chances in the back of the next, which most strikers in this game struggle to do.all of my other strikers score mostly scorchers and brilliant goals, he scores simple goals.

Top scorer three seasons in a row, third season he was playing most CAM.

View attachment 433856

His acceleration is the big thing, he tends to be able to beat a defender fairly often and once he's one on one there's a good chance he'll just roll it around the GK. He's lethal inside the box, puts so many half chances away.

I signed him for my Stoke side in first season and my team finished 2.

he is good for average clubs,he missing a lot of chances to be in first 11 in big clubs.

WOW!! 32Games in to 2nd season West Brom just won league cup there in 12th in premier league they have scored 46 goals Shane Long has scored.....31 of them with 10 assists

Um I actually got bored of my West Brom save, it felt like cheating with Shane Long. He's especially doing well for me. He and Berahino, it's like they score 2 goals among them in every match. Won 3 games 2-0 with both of them scoring.

Shane Long now has 30 goals in 21(1) games, outrageous.

sounds like a machine, he was amazing for me in fm11 and fm12, but didnt get him last year. may have to get him this year ;)