Spurs Seeded For the Champions League Qualifiers?

CJ

Reaction score
Well, it appears that spurs are to be seeded in the Champions League Qualifiers meaning that we will miss the likes of Werder Bremen, Sevilla, Ajax, Lyon and Zenit St Petersburg and will get an easier draw to get to the Group Stages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ng-round.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0ndrepeUF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_UEFA_Champions_League

(Scroll down to where it says Play-off Round. ^)

Feel free to leave your opinions on this :wub:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has now been confirmed that Tottenham have been Seeded for the Champions League draw on Friday.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1510074.html

These are the seeded and unseeded teams.

Seeded Unseeded
Sevilla FC (ESP) FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Werder Bremen (GER) SC Braga (POR)
FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) UC Sampdoria (ITA)
Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) AJ Auxerre (FRA)
AFC Ajax (NED) BSC Young Boys (SUI

I'm hoping for Young Boys :p

Last edited:
I would just like to say that i really hope they dont qualify. I do like the champs league but is it me or does the word champoins have a slight ring of irony around it.

I would just like to say that i really hope they dont qualify. I do like the champs league but is it me or does the word champoins have a slight ring of irony around it.

Says an Arsenal fan... ?!

Idiot.

Says an Arsenal fan... ?!

Idiot.
sorry but forgot to explain a wee bit more. I dont agree with non champoins playing in the champions league but is the way it is. It will never go back to the old european cup days. and for that comment defo hope they dont got through lol

sorry but forgot to explain a wee bit more. I dont agree with non champoins playing in the champions league but is the way it is. It will never go back to the old european cup days. and for that comment defo hope they dont got through lol

I am still pretty sure games would be more exciting having Man United/Spurs/Arsenal competing, compared to the Champions of Kazajistán or Estonia.

yeah i know, but it will never change so that will never happen with other leagues getting auto choices. The standard of football would never be the same. What i think they should do is bring back the cup winners cup, it gives the smaller teams a chance of getting some money in from tv particpation in the cup and possibly the chance of winning it.

Brilliant news for Spurs.

THAT comment was made by a Newcastle fan -- why does it make you want Spurs to fail even more?

I agree though, that it should not be called the Champions League -- because it isn't, and it was only changed (no matter how UEFA flower it up) to protect the bigger teams. To make it virtually impossible for big teams to fail (both in their domestic league and against a small team in a two-legged affair) and also to pretty much stamp out any threat of a smaller team (such as Steaua or PSV) ever reaching the final again. In a way, UEFA has inadvertantly given clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and many others the green light to accept third or fourth position in their league -- instead of putting in an all-out assault on their domestic league title. I know some people won't agree, but would Arsenal fans be so happy by the lack of a title in the last few years if second, third and fourth didn't put you in the Champions League?

So, you don't want arsenal or celtic to play in it then?

Brilliant news for Spurs.

THAT comment was made by a Newcastle fan -- why does it make you want Spurs to fail even more?

I agree though, that it should not be called the Champions League -- because it isn't, and it was only changed (no matter how UEFA flower it up) to protect the bigger teams. To make it virtually impossible for big teams to fail (both in their domestic league and against a small team in a two-legged affair) and also to pretty much stamp out any threat of a smaller team (such as Steaua or PSV) ever reaching the final again. In a way, UEFA has inadvertantly given clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and many others the green light to accept third or fourth position in their league -- instead of putting in an all-out assault on their domestic league title. I know some people won't agree, but would Arsenal fans be so happy by the lack of a title in the last few years if second, third and fourth didn't put you in the Champions League?
Yeah totally agree with you there, while i do support arsenal my main team is celtic (yeah and before you point it out celtic did go out to arsenal last year and eduardo dived. have watched arsenal for years) i do feel that although it does make the EPL more commpetitive for the champs spot it does also mean teams just try and make sure they qualify for the champs league as they have a chance to win it. Uefa will never change the competition because the big teams wouldnt allow it. This is purely how i feel about the champs league though. Kinda going off topic in relation to spurs i hope they dont qualify but also i would hope that only the team that wins it wouldnt qualify just becasue of my oppinon on the competition.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

So, you don't want arsenal or celtic to play in it then?
no thats not what i mean, i would like it to be champoins only if that meant arsenal and celtic had to win the league to enter then so be it.

Although I'd prefer a CHAMPIONS competition, the likelihood of it ever coming about again is pretty slim. For that reason, I want all the English teams to do well, and that includes Arsenal, if only for the fact that if English teams don't perform well, then the Premiership would eventually lose a place to another country.

I like seeing the English teams in Europe -- by rights I should be cheering on Atletico tomorrow because Fulham are one of our London rivals, but I won't. I'll be hoping Roy and his boys do the Premiership proud :)

Stay on topic, most of this thread has nothing to do with Spurs being seeded.

i think spurs will do ok. english teams are hard to beat over 2 legs.

Interesting...

Would have liked to have seen Spurs get knocked out early and break their fans hearts but that's extremely unlikely now ;)

Very pleased with this. It'll definitely be interesting to see who we'll get paired with out of the heavyweights in the group stage.

I'm hopeful for AC Milan.

Well, it appears that spurs are to be seeded in the Champions League Qualifiers meaning that we will miss the likes of Werder Bremen, Sevilla, Ajax, Lyon and Zenit St Petersburg and will get an easier draw to get to the Group Stages.

To be fair, I don't really think you can call any draw an easy one, that's unless you're hugely confident.

I think the Yids will be alright, so long as they have the right man in charge. By which I mean Harry Redknapp.

How on earth did they get seeded which so little European experience? Just ******** on the little guy from Andorra who had to win their league just to get he chance to play 15 qualifying rounds travelling on a bus that was used to transport British teenagers in the 80's! You bastards!

So many bitter people. Get over it and accept Spurs had a good season and got to this stage on hard work and merit. Spurs have had European experience over the years so why should we not be seeded?

Although I'd prefer a CHAMPIONS competition, the likelihood of it ever coming about again is pretty slim. For that reason, I want all the English teams to do well, and that includes Arsenal, if only for the fact that if English teams don't perform well, then the Premiership would eventually lose a place to another country.

I like seeing the English teams in Europe -- by rights I should be cheering on Atletico tomorrow because Fulham are one of our London rivals, but I won't. I'll be hoping Roy and his boys do the Premiership proud :)

I look at it the same way. Even though sometimes I feel like I can easily take the life of a fellow human being just over a sp*rs related incident, next year I will be cheering for tottenham in all european matches except if they face Arsenal. There is definitely something to cherish about the English clubs doing well in Europe.

To be fair, I don't really think you can call any draw an easy one, that's unless you're hugely confident.

I think the Yids will be alright, so long as they have the right man in charge. By which I mean Harry Redknapp.

Well its easier then getting, Lyon, Zenit, Werder Bremen....