Zidave

Reaction score
This is my 1st story so I decided on a reasonable Premiership Team with fantastic support!!

Stoke looked a reasonable bet for a successful 1st career on FM Base.
There only seems to be a couple of Stoke stories on here so hopefully it will be an interesting read.

I have played half a season prior to starting this story so you can follow safe in the knowledge of at least a few updates!!!

Initial Thoughts

After reviewing the ageing squad i decided to accept the offer of an increased transfer budget for a safe mid table finish. The media after all were predicting I finish 15th.
However, Peter Reid and I had a bet that if we were top half at Christmas he would have to go and manage QPR for 5 games in January but Paul Hart beat him to it.
Therefore I am stuck with a rather **** Assistant who keeps falling out with my key players - at least 1 a month. Hopefully he is not reading as he is getting sacked in the summer.

Transfer Policy

Buy quality youngsters who could make an immediate impact, improve with plenty of 1st team experience and make the club money if we had to sell.
Evolution not revolution seemed a wise choice so don't expect a huge amount of action here.

Back Room Staff

Initial thoughts were one of dread. How would we improve these youngsters with the awful coaches. I revamped the scouting staff but I am only allowed 6 coaches (is there any way to tell the board you want more?) so my training for 1st season is pretty poor.

Transfers

Got an option to buy Fleck for £2.5m during the season long loan period.
Paid £5m for Sandro up front with the rest over 48 months. I think I overpaid but couldn't get him any cheaper.

Updates to follow

Liam Lawrence to Fiorentina!! Madness. Good luck anyway

Liam Lawrence to Fiorentina!! Madness. Good luck anyway

Hi mate. Yeah was going update with my tactics which is a diamond with a resemblance to Complete Dominance, due to Stoke having plenty of centre midfielders.
Therefore decided to sell my wingers - Etherington just gone in January.
Time will tell whether it works out...

Hi mate. Yeah was going update with my tactics which is a diamond with a resemblance to Complete Dominance, due to Stoke having plenty of centre midfielders.
Therefore decided to sell my wingers - Etherington just gone in January.
Time will tell whether it works out...

I use Complete Dominance too. Works wonders for me. The AM is the most important player for me in this formation so I'd suggest buying a quality one as soon as possible. Marco Verratti develops into an awesome player after a couple of season so try and get him cheap now. I once had to pay £32m for him!

Pre Season

Undefeated pre season with lots of goals and only 1 disappointing result away to Stockport when I played a lot of reserves.

Goals were spread evenly amongst the team with Tuncay settling into life at The Britannia quickly with 6 pre season goals playing at the tip of the diamond.

The decibels were raised even more than last season with a "famous victory" over Parma on the eve of the new season.

August

The season started well with a hard fought victory over a stubborn Birmingham team.
Diego Arismendi enjoying his debut as much as his Manager enjoyed his with a 73rd minute winner.

A bore draw against Burnley preceded a close encounter with Man City who took home all 3 points with a late Bellamy winner.

Smashed Huddersfield in the Carling before a better than real life Liverpool team totally outplayed us at Anfield.

Therefore the 3rd sell out crowd of the season was not expecting a fantastic 1-0 victory against Championship favourites Chelsea. Old boy Huth scoring the only goal of the game from a bullet header late in the 1st half against his Managers now 2nd favourite team.

A decent but inconsistent start to the season was followed by a 2-1 defeat to Wigan in a game we were never really in. Ricardo Fuller getting what turned out to be no more than a consolation in the 73rd minute after we conceded to a cracking Koumas goal and a Scharner set piece header.

I use Complete Dominance too. Works wonders for me. The AM is the most important player for me in this formation so I'd suggest buying a quality one as soon as possible. Marco Verratti develops into an awesome player after a couple of season so try and get him cheap now. I once had to pay £32m for him!

Yeah got him in my Chelsea save and he is getting good in Season 4.
Fiorentina bought a half share and he decided that was a better bet than Stoke (fool) but I am tracking him and will try and get him in the summer.

I discovered this Spanish kid Sergio Canales (Arsenal just linked with him in real life)
and I got him for £2m from Racing Santander.
He is developing quite well, check him out!

Half term Review

A very satisfying season so far with Stoke in touch of a European spot but a safe mid table finish looking good and top half would be a great achievement.

13 goals in 4 days against Portsmouth saw us out of the Carling Cup but pick up another 3 points in the League.

A great result against Blackburn at home which saw John Fleck score his 1st 2 goals for the club since he joined on loan with view to a permanent deal.
We had a tricky run of fixtures follow, but got a fantastic draw at Old Trafford with another old boy Centre Back Ryan Shawcross scoring against the Champions, but holding out for all 3 points is difficult when the likes of Giggs pop up at the back post in the 41st minute.
Still we held out for a further 50 to regain confidence after 2 defeats against a Bassong inspired Spurs (got a hat trick as my defence went awol at corners) and a good Villa team.

Wolves away was a shocker after falling behind on 2 minutes.
Tuncay gave us hope when he pulled back to 2-1 but that was as good as it got.
Drubbed Hull 5-0 the week after with a brace each from Fuller and Beattie as they finally both hit form in the same game.

A credible 0-0 draw (boring but effective in snuffing out Bent and Jones up front) is as much as I can attach to this post.

Still this left us in the Top 10 and I started to look up Flavio's number to offer him Peter Reid for a stint down White City

Top 10 at Christmas with Arsenal in my sights.

I was therefore confident of a decent Cup run as I had Pompey at home.
I unfortunately drew at home and I am too traumatised to write a review of the replay 10 days later.
I think the attached screenshot tells it all....:mad::mad:
View attachment 27687

Youre doing really well mate keep it up I will be following even though they are Vale's bitter rivals!!!

ta it was fun and hunter 26 and stuart watson make kits for people who request them on player faces kits thread

ta it was fun and hunter 26 and stuart watson make kits for people who request them on player faces kits thread

I was at the Chelsea game after and they had your game on the big screen in the ground and in the bars too.
Never heard 40,000 people cheering for Leeds down The Bridge.
1st and probably last time.
Might get new kit for new season then.
Need the money from the merchandising as just spent a few quid in January window.

January Transfers

Reasonably happy with my squad for 1st season but after twisting my chairmans arm I managed to strengthen during January in the problem full back area.

Exciting Brazilian Full Back Renan joined for a fee of £15.5m with the majority of the payments over 4 years.
He provides options down both flanks and fits in perfectly with my transfer policy.

After selling 3 unused reserves I decided to gamble on selling Fuller to Fiorentina to finance a last gasp transfer deadline swoop for Ansaldi of Ruben, again gambling on future finances by funding over 3 years.

I hope they provide more of an attacking option down the flanks as I play a diamond whilst also improving the defensive unit.

Sandro was not happy to see Fuller go but my primary target will be a top striker in the summer. I have booked my flight to South Africa and will be scouting the best talents in the World Cup

Youre doing really well mate keep it up I will be following even though they are Vale's bitter rivals!!!

Thanks mate I am trying to tempt Robbie Williams down The Britannia with my exciting South American signings lol