Tactics Testing needed - a very offensie 3-4-3 not Barca style tactic

shadowsc2

Reaction score
I have started a story with San Marino to try out this tactic with a lower league team to see if it works.

My first inspiration was Pep Guardiola's 3-4-3 tactic with which he beat Real Madrid, which has 2 FB's who act as DC's when they need... However, I changed the tactic and the way to play it.

View attachment 218854View attachment 218855

I put a Libero instead of a Ball Playing Defender(Pique) with Support duty so that on the defence his primary focus is cutting out passes and crosses. The two FB's have defence roles(if you have a stronger team you could put them on support or attack role), the Anchor Man also pretty defensive while you have two wingers, an offensive box-to-box, two poachers and a complete forward support.

GK - a standard non-eccentric goalkeeper
Libero - a sweeper with good defensive, air, speed, passing and creativity stats, although a normal sweeper can do the job more than good enough
FB's - all round defensive and attacking stats, pacey whilst no need for being really good in the air(something like Mobi Okoli, although fast and not good in air)
Anchor Man - either Mobi Okoli type or Claude Makelele type, good mental physical and defensive stats and either good in air or fast
Wingers - Fast, creative and technicaly good, preferably with good passing and crossing
Box-to-box - Depends how you use him, I use my playmakers(which don't necesarily have good defensive or air stats) in this position, my opinion is that they should be fast, with good technique, mental stats and passing.
Poachers - Fast and good finishing and composure, although great off the ball stat is a must
Complete forward - your all-round striker

This is how I use this tactic, although I leave to you to change the playstyle to suit you.

3-4-3 lol (San Marino, Sep 2011).tac

This tactic is in testing so I don't have the best performances(although I don't believe you can expect from a 4th tier club to play it like Arsenal, Barcelona, Tottenham or other clubs could):

View attachment 218866

Would anyone like to test this tactic but with a way better club like the above mentioned to see how it works and suggest tweaks and balances for it?

I've tried making a tactic with one CB and 2 DMs, it leaks goals due to the DM not marking properly around the box.

Been meaning to try a sweeper to see if it improves anything but I doubt it. Also I don't like putting CBs into sweeper if they don't know the position.

I've tried making a tactic with one CB and 2 DMs, it leaks goals due to the DM not marking properly around the box.

Been meaning to try a sweeper to see if it improves anything but I doubt it. Also I don't like putting CBs into sweeper if they don't know the position.

Yeah that's a bit of a let down, My defence also leaks goals, although it's half-way due to my players not being good enough(and although they're way better than those of other teams)...

I could modify my tactic so that I put the DMC into DC position, it would stop leaking a bit, but it would also hurt my midfield control(I have right now about 60% of possession, highest I've ever got) so I'd rather be scoring a lot and conceding a goal or two than scoring less and still conceding goals and lossing possession...

Would you like to try it out Montanaro? If you have experience than you could advise me to tweak my tactic to leak less after playing with it half a season.

who is your goalman? i think its a bit confusing this 3 ST set up you've made,'cause you have your target man as support duty.Why don't you take a look at T-mo 3 ST configuration,see if that works.Also,why the defensive line is deep? i mean,the higher the defense the less the space between mid-def.

who is your goalman? i think its a bit confusing this 3 ST set up you've made,'cause you have your target man as support duty.Why don't you take a look at T-mo 3 ST configuration,see if that works.Also,why the defensive line is deep? i mean,the higher the defense the less the space between mid-def.
the higher the line the more pressure on lone defender

For sweepers to work you usually have to put them behind two central defenders, so it probably wouldn't work well.

My Complete Forward, not Target Man, is on Support Duty because I want him to rather assist more than score because I have no AMC/L/R's to pass to the poachers, and if I put him on attack duty and also higher up the pitch, my other strikers(and he too) won't have someone to assist them...

My goalkeeper is a pretty old fella, though I bought 2 new GK's who're joining me in January and are waaay better than him...

Montanaro also explained it to you why I did the deep defensive line... it would leave much more space for counter attacks(about 10-15 m on the pitch) and it would be a piece of cake to score such goals... With how I set it up I get 1-2 counter attacks which is OK, and the higher the pitch the bigger the chance that the sweeper doesn't cut the pass and the player goes 1 on 1...

like it

Although I changed the attacking line to tranqualista - poach - tranqualist immediately
get the result in the first half... change two tranqualistas to 2 defenders (defend) ... and protect your result ...
have fun...
[url=http://ompldr.org/vY2hkNQ][/URL]

(you need to have great goalkeeper in my experience)
8-|
once again like it ... although I use 3-4-3 with 3 central defenders in line ... as my main tactic

Last edited:
like it

Although I changed the attacking line to tranqualista - poach - tranqualist immediately
get the result in the first half... change two tranqualistas to 2 defenders (defend) ... and protect your result ...
have fun...

8-|
once again like it ... although I use 3-4-3 with 3 central defenders in line ... as my main tactic
thanks!!!

like it

have fun...

8-|

Could you upload it? I think having two trequartistas(not tranqualistas) is redundant, you should have rather just changed the Complete Forward into a Trequartisa... I'll use your tactic though when I start next season(about to finish my first with San Marino)...

Yes and I agree you'd need a world class goalkeeper for this kind of tactic...

My latest and biggest result to date - a away win against Reggina in the Second Round of Italian Cup:

View attachment 219563

I didn't change anything about my tactic - yet I won against a mid-table Serie B team... though I'm facing Bologna next round...

Could you upload it? I think having two trequartistas(not tranqualistas) is redundant, you should have rather just changed the Complete Forward into a Trequartisa... I'll use your tactic though when I start next season(about to finish my first with San Marino)...

Yes and I agree you'd need a world class goalkeeper for this kind of tactic...

... as an attached file ... also note that I've changed wingers to def. wingers (support)

(also I should note that DONT use this tactic when the opposition plays 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 with the poacher and heading abilities >16 ... you'll concede a lot ...)
(second note ... your achor man will score a lot of goals from set-peaces if his heading is > 18)

Last edited:
... as an attached file ... also note that I've changed wingers to def. wingers (support)

(also I should note that DONT use this tactic when the opposition plays 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 with the poacher and heading abilities >16 ... you'll concede a lot ...)
(second note ... your achor man will score a lot of goals from set-peaces if his heading is > 18)

Thanks, though I'll probably experiment on my own... as for the anchor man I already set him on near post flick on and corner takers to take them to near post...

Is anyone interested in this tactic or does anyone want to comment it, like how good it is, does it work for them etc.