Taking on the Champions League Challenge

MattLUFC

Reaction score
I like the sound of this challenge so going to give it a go! Not sure who to manage yet but i will get to that when we get there. With regards to the updating, i am going to do it every 3 months as it is mainly a Champions League Challenge! I am still going to carry on my Bury save as i am really enjoying it, but i couldn't turn down this challenge!! With picking who to manage i am going to follow White Army's trick of randomising until the computer picks for me!! I have 5 choices who to start with and they are:

150px-Juventus_Turin.svg.png
190px-Chelsea_FC.svg.png
225px-FCB.svg.png

soccer.png
220px-Logo_FC_Bayern_M%C3%BCnchen.svg.png

I have decided to start big, as with my current save i am building up a team, and on FM13 i have never managed the greats like Messi etc so i would enjoy that while i can.

Also the manager for this team will be none other than Alessandro Costacurta, who as a player racked up an incredible 5 winners medals and would like to add more to his collections.

Update to follow in the next 2 hours with the chosen team!!

ENJOY!!

Christ almighty - the whole of the 1st page of the FM stories will be full of the Champions League Challenges soon! Welcome aboard:)

BREAKING NEWS!!!

View attachment 296901

Roberto Di Matteo has stepped down as Chelsea managed with immediate effect, he states that his relation with Mr Abramovich has deteriated rapidly following the Champions Leage win. Mr Abramovich has stated that the person to take Chelsea FC forward is a 5 time champions league winner, everyone was expected Paulo Maldini at the press conference, but to there suprise it was his defensive partner Alessandro Costacurta!!

manager-alessandro-costacurta.jpg

Sunday Times: Alessandro, what are you plans for the season?
AC: Simple, my aim is to successfully defend Chelsea's champions league and finish in the top-4 in the Premier League?
The Guardian: Why is the Champions League your priorty over the Premier League title?
AC: Well that is quite simple i would rather be champions of europe, which includes england, than just the cmapions of England. Would Barcelona still be classed as one of the greatest teams if they just won the Champions League and not the Liga BBVA? Of course they would.
The Sun: What made Mr Abramovich appoint you rather than the others expected for the job (Rafael Benitez, Josep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho & Jurgen Klopp)?
AC: Because i have the knowledge of the Champions League, i have 5 winners medals on my mantel piece just as a player. And i have the hunger and desire to double that! **** even triple it. I strive to become the master of the Champions League! Jose Mourinho has won it with 2 different clubs, well i can guarantee i will better that achievement. The 'Special' One? Call me The 'Godly' One!! That is all, thank you for your time

images

Christ almighty - the whole of the 1st page of the FM stories will be full of the Champions League Challenges soon! Welcome aboard:)

I know, but you and stonecold did come up with a great challenge that allows you to be in charge of the best teams!! Full steam ahead with Chelsea (no-one has them yet either thankfully!!) Struggled with purchases as i wanted to better my squad so i can win it this year, but didn't want to better it too much where if i win i couldn't beat them the year after with another team.

Transfers

View attachment 297062

View attachment 297057View attachment 297058View attachment 297060View attachment 297063View attachment 297061

Overall i feel the transfer went ok, manager to bring in a few decent players which have really improved my squad. Now the tactic in purchasing these players was simple... they all had a buy-out clause so if i didn't get them someone would have done... right??

Managed to get rid of a lot of deadwood as well as John Obi-Mikel!!!!

Champions League Group Stage Draw

View attachment 297059

Well at first look this is an easy group... but is it?? only time will tell and first update from the champions league is due soon!!!

Hope you enjoy this story and bring it on!!!!

Champions League Group A - Matchday 1

Chelsea 2 - 0 Lille
Terry, Hazard

View attachment 297070

A fantastic way to open up our account in the Champions League. We has the best possesion throughout the match and never looked like losing. Salomon Kalou made a return to Stamford Bridge, and he would like to forget about that. Every 3 points is vital in this group, and i am going for maximum points!!

Champions League Group A - Matchday 2

Malaga 1 - 3 Chelsea
Hazard, Ayew 2 (1 Pen)

View attachment 297073

Another brilliant win, i have highlighted Malaga as my biggest threat for top spot and to beat them in there back yard is brilliant!! Isco put in a MOM performance against his former team with 2 assists! Benfica next!!

View attachment 297074

League table after 2 games

watch out for benfica

I know i feel like i have to watch out for all teams in the group, as none of them are world beaters but they could beat me on any given day!! would rather have Barcelona and 2 crappy teams!

Forgot to add on the Transfer page that i have recalled Lukaku from his loan spell at West Brom... only for him to get injured for 5-6 months in the last pre-season friendly!! Typical!

ouch sodds law hey...sign ademsilson he should provide decent cover

Good luck. :)

Chelsea have got lots of potential, trying to get the most out of your talented attackers at a young age seems like the main challenge.

ouch sodds law hey...sign ademsilson he should provide decent cover

I know... i got Demba Ba instead, as i feel with Ademilson he needs a couple of years to develop into world class, and i want to win it ASAP, Lukaku should be back though for the knock-out stages to add depth for the bench

Good luck. :)

Chelsea have got lots of potential, trying to get the most out of your talented attackers at a young age seems like the main challenge.

Thanks. I know they have a very young squad, and it shows sometimes with stupid mistakes.

orite no prob...i had ademilson a few times and he hit the ground running from day 1,but BA is quality....but obvioulsy Becchio is better LMAO

orite no prob...i had ademilson a few times and he hit the ground running from day 1,but BA is quality....but obvioulsy Becchio is better LMAO

without a shadow of a doubt.. but i'm waiting until i get to Barca before i sign him, as he wouldnt contemplate leaving ER just yet!

Champions League Group A - Matchday 3

Benfica 1 - 1 Chelsea
Mata

View attachment 297331

Benfica put up a great fight here. With 61% possession you would have thought we could have managed more shots on target than we actually did. Especially when they went down to 10 min after 70 minutes from Wanyama's straight red card.

Champions League Group A - Matchday 4

Chelsea 2 - 2 Benfica
Ramires, Artur OG

View attachment 297332

We only just survived in this match, we nearly suffered our first loss of the campaign. Not happy with the performance and defensively we need to improve at Stamford Bridge if we wany any chance of defending our trophy!!

View attachment 297333

League table after 4 games, only 1 win away from the knock out phase!!

Domestic Update - August/September/October

View attachment 297374

This haven't been going so well in other competitions, we are already lost out on 3 cups and we are only just in November!! Things started off with a loss against Man City in the Community Shield. But we followed up with a sensational win against Stoke, then a frustrating draw aginst Wigan at home.

Then it was our chance to throw away another chance to win a cup!! this time it was even more annoying with Athletico scored an injury time equalizer with an extra time winner!!

I was pleased to be on the victorious side in the first london rivalry with a well thought win against Arsenal, but we once again had no answer to the reigning champions. Our lack of consistency is really irating me this year with us not stringing two wins together in the league. If we things don't work out in the champions league this year we really need to put together a decent run to ensure we qulaify for it next year!!

We are also out of the Capital One in the 4th round losing to rivals Arsenal!!

View attachment 297375View attachment 297376

Currently sitting in 5th place, but i am currently 13 points off top spot which for a team of Chelsea's stature isn't good enough. I am not happy with the way my team are playing domestically, things need to change and FAST!!! Next domestic update to come at the end of January 2013!!