The Arsenal Thread

Jagielka to Arsenal? A very well placed source says it's all but a done deal #everton #efc (Talkshite radio on twitter)

Cesc has 80 assists in the PL - only less than Giggs (97, 37 years old) and Lampard (84)

Jagielka to Arsenal? A very well placed source says it's all but a done deal #everton #efc (Talkshite radio on twitter)

Cesc has 80 assists in the PL - only less than Giggs (97, 37 years old) and Lampard (84)

Giggs assists tally is not accurate. Read somewhere assists are accurate only from early 2000s

From Giggs records,
Most Premier League assists (accurate records are only available from 2002 onwards)

And also found this in BBC

Player / Total assists / Open play assists / Dead ball assists

1 Ryan Giggs --------------- 232------------176-----------56
2 David Beckham----------- 152----------- 109----------- 43
3 Dennis Bergkamp--------- 147------------130-----------17
4 Thierry Henry------------- 144------------123-----------21
5 Andy Cole------------------135-----------127----------- 8
6 Frank Lampard------------132----------- 92-------------40
7 Darren Anderton----------126-----------70-------------56
8 Alan Shearer-------------- 122------------110------------12
9 Paul Scholes---------------120------------103------------17
10 Teddy Sheringham------118------------103------------15
11 Nolberto Solano--------- 118------------78------------ 40
12 Steve McManaman------112------------104------------8
13 Dwight Yorke------------ 98------------ 90-------------8
14 Jimmy Hasselbaink------ 97------------ 79-------------18
15 Steven Gerrard--------- 95------------ 61------------ 34
16 Dennis Wise------------- 95------------ 58------------ 37
17 Emile Heskey------------ 92------------ 65------------ 27
18 Matthew Le Tissier----- 90------------ 48------------ 42
19 Gianfranco Zola--------- 89------------ 64------------ 25
20 Paolo Di Canio----------- 87------------ 61------------ 26
21 Chris Sutton------------- 87------------ 73------------ 14
22 Nicky Barmby------------ 84------------ 60------------ 24
23 Gary McAllister---------- 83------------ 39------------ 44
24 Roy Keane--------------- 82------------ 71------------ 11
25 Trevor Sinclair----------- 82------------ 74------------ 8
26 Eric Cantona-------------81------------ 72------------ 9
27 Stuart Ripley------------ 81------------ 57------------ 24
28 Steed Malbranque------ 79------------ 60------------ 19
29 Les Ferdinand----------- 78------------ 58------------ 20
30 Robert Pires------------- 78------------ 67------------ 11
31 Wayne Rooney--------- 76------------ 64------------ 12
32 Robbie Fowler----------- 75------------ 65------------ 10
33 Harry Kewell------------- 75------------ 63------------ 12
34 Gary Neville--------------75------------ 57------------ 18
35 Kevin Campbell---------- 74------------ 61------------ 13
36 Nicholas Anelka--------- 73------------ 68------------ 5
37 Robbie Keane------------73------------ 62------------ 11
38 Paul Merson--------------73------------ 43------------ 30
39 Gareth Barry------------ 72------------ 50------------ 22
40 Lee Bowyer-------------- 72------------ 51------------ 21
41 Graeme Le Saux---------72------------ 50------------ 22
42 Ruel Fox------------------71------------ 62------------ 9
43 Damien Duff------------- 70------------ 44------------ 26
44 David Ginola------------- 69------------ 46------------ 23
45 Paul Ince----------------- 69------------ 52------------ 17
46 Francesc Fabregas----- 69------------ 49------------ 20
47 Gary Speed-------------- 67------------ 47------------ 20
48 Jason Wilcox------------ 67------------ 50------------ 17
49 Mark Hughes------------ 65------------ 55------------ 10
50 Danny Murphy---------- 65------------ 37------------ 28

This list is more accurate. However I got it from a website that has a strange definition of assist (they include key passes in the build up as assists, even if they're not the final ball)

Last edited:
Yeah sorry about that! Stats are wrong slightly - stats only recorded since 2001.

Those aren't right either, though!

Still - Fabregas having 80 assists (That is right) from what? 4 full seasons? if that - is v impressive on its own.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Oh and:

Arsenal 1-0 Man Utd: Arsenal’s youngsters blow title race wide open | Arsenal Report Arsenal 1-0 Man Utd: Arsenal’s youngsters blow title race wide open | Arsenal Report

2nd/Opposition report by Mike. (Mod)

Yeah sorry about that! Stats are wrong slightly - stats only recorded since 2001.

Those aren't right either, though!

Still - Fabregas having 80 assists (That is right) from what? 4 full seasons? if that - is v impressive on its own.

Wrong Joss. 7 full seasons. <)

His league appearances..
2004–05 33
2005–06 35
2006–07 38
2007–08 32
2008–09 22
2009–10 27
2010–11 25

Still great stats.
I'm sure Beckham has more assists than this. He was leading the table before Giggs overtook him..

Wrong Joss. 7 full seasons. <)

His league appearances..
2004–05 33
2005–06 35
2006–07 38
2007–08 32
2008–09 22
2009–10 27
2010–11 25

Still great stats.
I'm sure Beckham has more assists than this. He was leading the table before Giggs overtook him..

I'm not sure corners/FKs count as assists tbh.

Anyway - Not a huge amount of point in comparing to others, the point I was trying to make is that 80 assists - even after 7 seasons - is a terrific record and shows remarkable consistency from the age of 17.

Yeap and this season he has already 14 assists in Prem alone despite missing a lot of games.

With my red tinted classes off I would like to take the chance of congratulating Arsenal after the 1-0 yesterday over my beloved Manchester United. I thought you guys were excelent yesterday, your lads simply wanted it more than ours. One key area I thought yesterday was your midfield. As like many Utd fans, I properly got a bit too excited over the fact that Cesc wasn't even in the match day squad but my word did young Wilshere and Ramsey step up to the plate.

We all know the talent young Wilshere has but yesterday I saw a Ramsey I had never seen before. He made both Carrick and Anderson look very average in the midfield and totally dominated us. Although at the time I was pulling my hair out, it was a nice moment too see for Ramsey after te torrid year the lad has had and am pleased for him with the comeback he has made. One things for sure, Arsenal have at their disposal two of the best young midfielders in the English Premier League.

Well Stubbs you weren't the only one pulling hair out. I almost had heart attack couple times watching that match. That's what supporting Arsenal does to you.

Our team played more like 4-5-1 yesterday instead of 4-2-3-1 which we play usually with Cesc. Ramsey and Wilshere played as CM's with Song DMC. Also they covered each other better than i've seen for some time. When Song went up Ramsey and Wilshere stayed bit further back.

With my red tinted classes off I would like to take the chance of congratulating Arsenal after the 1-0 yesterday over my beloved Manchester United. I thought you guys were excelent yesterday, your lads simply wanted it more than ours. One key area I thought yesterday was your midfield. As like many Utd fans, I properly got a bit too excited over the fact that Cesc wasn't even in the match day squad but my word did young Wilshere and Ramsey step up to the plate.

We all know the talent young Wilshere has but yesterday I saw a Ramsey I had never seen before. He made both Carrick and Anderson look very average in the midfield and totally dominated us. Although at the time I was pulling my hair out, it was a nice moment too see for Ramsey after te torrid year the lad has had and am pleased for him with the comeback he has made. One things for sure, Arsenal have at their disposal two of the best young midfielders in the English Premier League.

It was indeed a special moment for Aaron. No one deserved it more yesterday, either - brilliant performance with the pressure off. I wrote a little section about him in my match report, actually; just saying that the pressure was off but also that he played a slightly deeper role than usual...

Well Stubbs you weren't the only one pulling hair out. I almost had heart attack couple times watching that match. That's what supporting Arsenal does to you.

Our team played more like 4-5-1 yesterday instead of 4-2-3-1 which we play usually with Cesc. Ramsey and Wilshere played as CM's with Song DMC. Also they covered each other better than i've seen for some time. When Song went up Ramsey and Wilshere stayed bit further back.

Yeah it was v interesting. Wasn't sure whether it was more to deal with Rooney, who was effectively man-marked by Song or to get best out of Ramsey and Wilshere; putting less pressure on the former by dropping him back into a 1-2 pivot in midfield rather than the 2-1 we usually use, as you said.

Wilshere definitely had a freer role as well - his movements were no longer determined by Cesc's (or Ramsey's) like they usually are. Fabregas drops deep, looks to control the tempo and Wilshere can push on, but then Cesc stays in his starting role and Wilshere has to drop back again. Was v interesting to see how well Ramsey coped in just his 2 PL start this season and how quickly he formed an understanding & partnership w Wilshere.

@Both of you...

Arsenal 1-0 Man Utd: Arsenal’s youngsters blow title race wide open | Arsenal Report Arsenal 1-0 Man Utd: Arsenal’s youngsters blow title race wide open | Arsenal Report

Discussing:

- Manchester United's tactics (courtesy of Mike)
- Arsenal's versatility and crossing
- The excellent Gael Clichy, and how Arsenal stopped counter-attacks on their LW.
- Ramsey, Wilshere and the 4-1-2-3 formation.

I shall give the article a read, thanks for the link.

And well done again, It is in my opinion that with a couple of signings next season say a center back and a 20 goal a season striker, you could once again challenge for the league and end the baron spell without a trophy.

As Song Rambo and Jack played so well

would it be such a bad thing if cesc wanted to leave in the summer?

i hope Cesc stays but if he leaves, hey we have a great replacement !

I shall give the article a read, thanks for the link.

And well done again, It is in my opinion that with a couple of signings next season say a center back and a 20 goal a season striker, you could once again challenge for the league and end the baron spell without a trophy.

RvP has scored 19 goals.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

As Song Rambo and Jack played so well

would it be such a bad thing if cesc wanted to leave in the summer?

i hope Cesc stays but if he leaves, hey we have a great replacement !

They can't hold their own for a whole season without a quality back-up, though and we're not going to go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money replacing Cesc.

Ramsey is an excellent player, he will get even better but he isn't ready to replace Cesc.

RvP has scored 19 goals.

true but RvP is always a bad turn away from an injury. although saying that all footballers are lol but i mean if you can bag yourself another striker who is going to bang them in, you'll be laughing.

How many more seasons will Cesc stay Joss?

I think 1 more or at a long shot 2

Good article. I'd like to see our team use this kind of midfield trio more than 4-2-3-1. I think Nasri has more freedom on his side as well and can cut inside more giving Clichy more space.

How many more seasons will Cesc stay Joss?

I think 1 more or at a long shot 2

I don't know! I'm just saying that it's silly to say: Ramsey had one good game, let's sell Cesc and be done with it.

He'll stay as long as he wants and as long as Barca actually have the cash to pay for him, which at the moment, they don't.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Good article. I'd like to see our team use this kind of midfield trio more than 4-2-3-1. I think Nasri has more freedom on his side as well and can cut inside more giving Clichy more space.

The 4-2-3-1 isn't going to effect Nasri. He cuts inside anyway - it was just that Utd's counter-attacks were inaccurate and both Song and Koscielny covered the space behind him. We played that formation last year, but this [the 4-2-3-1] is a better one IMO.

I would say that we have the best premier league #2 in Fabianski

would any one else agree?

Well in my opinion this 4-2-3-1 works well, but Song works better in my opinion as a DM in 4-5-1 formation. Also Nasri does better without Cesc on squad, but that has nothing to do with formation.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

If he keeps up Safehanski form not the Flappyhandski form.

Cudicini?

Well in my opinion this 4-2-3-1 works well, but Song works better in my opinion as a DM in 4-5-1 formation. Also Nasri does better without Cesc on squad, but that has nothing to do with formation.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

If he keeps up Safehanski form not the Flappyhandski form.

Don't know why everyone says Nasri does better without Cesc. Completely untrue - for one, he doesn't, hasn't and won't play(ed) in Fabregas' role - he doesn't understand the complexities of it and doesn't have the same 360 vision as Fabregas does.

Both have played very well when they've played together -

Spurs at home, away
Birmingham away,
Chelsea at home
Barcelona at home

Of course they play well together - where does this stuff come from? Just because Nasri had a good start to the season and has faded or what?

I'm not saying Nasri would fit in Cesc role. I think he's best on RW and he's "worst" games have now been on LW.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Seems like we got a new sponsor.

Arsenal Football Club and home appliance manufacturer Indesit have announced today that they have signed a three-year partnership deal.

Indesit, which is based in Italy, has signed a multi-million pound deal to work in partnership with Arsenal to help drive their business in the UK and throughout Europe.

Tom Fox, Arsenal’s Chief Commercial Officer, said: “The Arsenal name is known and recognised around the world. It is synonymous with an attractive style of play, a youthful team, innovation, tradition and winning. These values are immensely powerful for our partners and provide them with a platform to both differentiate their brands and connect them on a meaningful level to our fans and potential fans around the world.

“The more we understood about Indesit’s approach to the market, their company values and plans for growth, the more we both realised how a relationship with Arsenal could benefit both parties.”

Vinai Venkatesham, Arsenal’s Head of Global Partnerships, added: “I’m delighted to welcome Indesit on board as an official partner of Arsenal. We’ve enjoyed working closely with Indesit to put together a partnership to best suit both organisations and I look forward to working just as closely with them in the years ahead to maximise the potential of our relationship.”

Indesit Brand Marketing Director, Marco Rota said: “Arsenal Football Club has values linked to our brand, which is why we are particularly happy to sign an agreement with a partner with so much popularity, not only in the UK but all over Europe too. Arsenal is one of the greatest football teams in the world and we’re looking forward to enjoying a successful partnership together.”

The partnership between Arsenal and Indesit officially starts from the beginning of next season, at the first day of the Emirates Cup on Saturday 30th July 2011.