THE BEST FORMATION IN FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014!!!

agieluma

Reaction score
After some tweaking and modifications i finally came up with a formation which i believe is the best i have ever used in the football manager series. This is a possession-based formation and most of you who love having 65-80% of the ball(like me) and lots of goals will love this formation.
SK (S)
CD (C) CD (X)
CWB (A) HB (D) RGA (S) CWB (A)
AP (A)
IF (S)............................... IF (S)
CF (S)
Team instructions
Fluidity: very fluid
Mentality: attacking

shorter passing
retain possession
work ball into box
much lower tempo
play out of defense
look for overlap
use offside trap
pass into space
exploit the middle
drill crosses
be more expressive
much higher defensive line
hassle opponents
roam from positions

P.S post your results. I promise you'll love it...and mind you, this is for strong teams

Last edited:
Here's the file View attachment 432654

i tried Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester City and it was perfect. you could try with smaller teams. The formation aims to frustrate the opposition with your possession of the ball and at the same time creating chances at will. you should have pretty fast wingbacks

Try and get some screenshots of your results and successes when you can.

I soon learnt, it will help gain more interest :)

default for everybody except the lone striker: set to roam from position, shoot more often, move into channels

Have you tried it with other clubs? With Bayern you could win the league with probably any formation or tactic because of the quality of players they have.

i tried with man utd, signed Pjanic and retrained him as CM, retrained rooney as AML (IF),
bad thing is i deleted the save

wow. first match with this tac against spurs for my watford team & we demolish them 5-2.

will keep u updated!

I'll try it in a mid-table team and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no best formation on FM. Any formation can work so long it is logical. A 4-4-2 can bring you as much success as a 4-2-3-1.

Plus your tactic is incredibly flawed.

There is no best formation on FM. Any formation can work so long it is logical. A 4-4-2 can bring you as much success as a 4-2-3-1.

Plus your tactic is incredibly flawed.

If he's getting results dose it really matter if it's flawed?

Like you said yourself, there is no best formation. How can you say that, then say his tactic is flawed all while expecting to retain your credibility?

The trick to managing any team is to find a tactic that suits the players at your disposal, he's found one and he's sharing. I for one applaud him and wish him the best.

If he's getting results dose it really matter if it's flawed?

Like you said yourself, there is no best formation. How can you say that, then say his tactic is flawed all while expecting to retain your credibility?

The trick to managing any team is to find a tactic that suits the players at your disposal, he's found one and he's sharing. I for one applaud him and wish him the best.

I actually apologise I thought it was much higher tempo, not lower tempo.

Are you trying to tell me there aren't flaws in winning things? Let's step into the real world right now, United last season - weak midfield, ageing players who were passed their cell-by date - won the league at a canter.

Nothing is perfect, nothing. Something will always have flaws no matter how you try to dress it up.

There are slight problems I see that don't make sense and will probably affect him later on.

I don't want to slate the OP of offend him but Bayern Munich isn't hard to manage, right? So I can't give him an applause for finding something that works for them. Any formation would work for them. If he came on here saying he'd got Yeovil promoted and sitting comfortably in the Premier League with this tactic I'd credit him.

It is like the people who download tactics, re-load when they lose, use the editor to give them Ronaldo when they are Grimsby and claim that they are good at the game. Bragging about doing well with Bayern isn't impressive in my view.

The high defensive line kills this tactic in away games and Home games against bigger teams.
Any team with a quick striker exploits this way to easy. I played with real Madrid and against Granada El Arabi scored 4 goals all of them he got in behind my defence waaaaay to easy and 1 on 1's with keeper. I tried it with deep defensive line and Much deeper defensive line but this seems to take away from the attacking side Which is really good and fluid by the way. So I would say that this is a 50 percent tactic well done just need to get the defensive side of it sorted out, which is strange to think when there is 2 defensive midfielders. MAD.
I'm not slating this tactic and appreciate anybody who shares tactics on here. just a little bit of advice. And the Granada game was just one example of the problems. I played 20 games and only won 7 with Real Madrid and it was the same type of goals 85 percent of the time.