TouchyFM

Reaction score
Yo! Here's another story from me that's going to run alongside the http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ories/293156-saving-parma-zero-heroes-v2.html story that I'm also doing. As the Parma one is updated game-by-game; I can't play it so much as I'd have to keep updating the story; which I don't want to do too much of yet. This Dunkerque story will be monthly updates, so I can rattle through seasons quicker, as they're a club starting in the French National League. Anyway, less of me rambling, and more of who Dunkerque actually are:

View attachment 282344

Dunkurque are based in Dunkirk in France; famed for the remarkable evacuation of Allied troops in World War 2. They're a very small club, and have never played beyond Ligue 2. Their Coupe de France performances haven't been particularly special: with a solitary semi-final appearance back in 1921 and four subsequent quarter-final appearances. They actually have a real life connection with Dartford FC of Kent which isn't replicated in FM. Facilities-wise, Dunkurque are pretty poor: with a 4,200 capacity stadium (1500 seated) whilst the training facilities are classed as 'below average' and the youth facilities 'basic'. The club are in a pretty poor state financially, and we're predicted to have a -£1.2m by the end of the season; a nice cup run could help that. Also, whatever trophy I win (if any) will make me the most successful manager ever, we've never won anything.

Playing Squad

As you might expect, we're not exactly blessed with technically gifted players - most are solid for this level, but seeing as we're predicted to finish in 16th out of 18, the squad can't exactly be incredible. I've highlighted three players that I believe will be vital in our bid for survival (that's my aim: survival). These three players are: Christian Senneville (RB), Gaetano Muraglia (DM, M(C)) and Sebastien Dorizon (ST). They're the backbone of our team, but in truth, all of our players are pretty similar in terms of quality: sh*t. What's worse is that we have no money to spend, and our wage budget p/w is £0. We've got a hugely difficult task on our hands in a bid for survival.

View attachment 282342View attachment 282341View attachment 282340

The title of this story refers to a 'dream'. Well that dream is to obviously play in, and eventually win, Ligue 1. That would be a massive achievement for a side like ours as we haven't ever played in Ligue 1 before, and we haven't been in Ligue 2 since 1996, that's my whole life! I don't think I'll make any changes to the playing squad; there won't be any coming ins and I won't look to actively sell anyone, but if the right offer comes in for someone, I won't hesitate to accept as we could really do with the money. Oh and of course, I've set myself some financial constraints to make things extra tough, here they are:

- No signings over the fee of £6m;
- No-one can earn more than £20k p/w (not likely until we reach Ligue 1);
- Maximum agent fees of £300k;
- Maximum appearance fee of £4k;
- If a bid is received that is double or more the value, it must be accepted.

Some of those rules may be familiar if you've followed the Parma story. I hate agents and their greed and I feel it's an unnecessary expenditure to have to fork out for. We're not exactly the most finance rich club in France so we can't go round spending *****-nilly on players, we have to be smart in our dealings, focusing a lot on developing players and selling them on for good fees. If we can reach Ligue 1 following this criteria; then I think we can call it job well done.

I've already played until mid-October as I hadn't decided if I was going to write it up or not. That means that there won't be any league tables at the end of the August or September updates as I forgot to take screenshots (DOH). From October onwards however, there will be. Due to August and September already being completed, I'll probably have those updates out later tonight, so stay tuned!​

Last edited:
PRE-SEASON AND AUGUST 2014

Before I round-up the games played in August; I thought I'd show you how we fared in pre-season. This is all I really need to tell you about what happened leading up to the season as nothing else actually happened, but here's how we did:

View attachment 282336

A bit up and down, a couple of solid victories and a good display against Anderlecht who are obviously so much better than us. Lisse are an amateur Dutch team, we're semi-professional so we should be winning, but pre-season's only really about fitness so I wasn't too bothered. Anyway, let's jump into our league games for August...

MATCHDAY 1: Colomiers 2-2 Dunkerque

Zalmate (30), Mazel (47) | Mandouki (67), De Parmentier (80)

View attachment 282332

If you didn't know we were a French National side, you would after watching this game. Our defending from set-pieces was atrocious. Both of their goals came from corners and we found ourselves 2-0 down. Cyril Mandouki got us back in the game with a 25 yard thunderbolt, and Thomas De Parmentier grabbed us a point latching on to a through ball and finishing from six yards. As the stats suggest, the point was wholly deserved.

MATCHDAY 2: Dunkurque 0-1 Bourg-Péronnas
Sané (48)

View attachment 282327

This was an incredibly frustrating game as neither side particularly deserved to win. The deadlock was broken when our defence failed to deal with a long ball over the top, and Pape Sané ran through and coolly finished past Jean-Christophe Bouet. We didn't really create anything, so to lose to a defensive error is poor.

MATCHDAY 3: Vendée-Louçon 3-1 Dunkerque

M'Vila (24), Bammou (30, 64) | Tamboura (65)

View attachment 282320

I don't really have too many complaints today; the better team won. We were good on the ball but created nothing with it. Yohan M'Vila headed them in front after we failed to deal with a free-kick. Then MOTM Yacine Bammou tucked in from six yards on the half-hour. He doubled his tally midway through the second half with a first-time finish from 8 yards. Hamady Tamboura pulled one back as he got ahead of the defenders to score a tap-in, but it proved only to be a consolation.

MATCHDAY 4: Dunkerque 2-0 Epinal
Tamboura (7), Coulibaly (pen 42)

View attachment 282311

It's taken four games, but we've finally won! The performance was very pleasing, we controlled the ball and managed the game in the second half excellently. Tamboura made it two in two with a simple tap-in after a quick break. Ibrahima Coulibaly wrapped up the points from the penalty spot to seal a deserved win. We restricted them to long range efforts and defended fantastically.

Results:

View attachment 282307

An up-and-down month ended with a simple 2-0 win over Epinal, giving us 4 points out of a possible 12. We're not exactly pulling up trees but I saw enough about us that suggested we may be able to do more than just avoid relegation. I won't get too ahead of myself for sure, but if we can get some points in September, I'm sure we can keep fighting for a rise up the table.

Haha, know how you feel mate. 2 assessments due and 4 exams next month but ****** FM getting in the way!

I've got one less exam than you but otherwise the same. I probably won't revise until the last two weeks and essays will be done the weekend before because of this ****** game

SEPTEMBER 2014

We reach September now and I'm hoping to pick up a few points. Amiens away is our first game, they're predicted 3rd so I'm really not expecting anything from that, then we play Chambly at home who are at more of our level, so 3 points would be nice. Red Star away is 99.9% going to be a defeat as they're the best team in the division, and we wrap up the month with a home game against Boulogne and an away match against Istres, both will be tough games. Let's see how we did...

MATCHDAY 5: Amiens 1-4 Dunkerque
Poyet (65) | Dorizon (33, 62), Coulibaly (37), De Parmentier (66)

View attachment 282299

What a performance from the lads! Going into this game I expected to lose but this was a perfect example of counter-attacking football. Dorizon gave us a deserved lead after 33 minutes as he tapped in after his first effort was saved. We were aided by a red card for their defender, and Coulibaly took advantage 2 minutes later with a fantastic free-kick. Dorizon doubled his tally rounding off a fantastic team move. They threatened a comeback when Romain Poyet headed in unmarked; but De Parmentier quashed any hopes of said comeback with a nice back post header. 4-1, fantastic!

MATCHDAY 6: Dunkerque 2-1 Chambly
Fofana (3), Womé OG (58) | Raddas (77)

View attachment 282297

This was a game where we really had to grind out a win, but we played well. Oussoumane Fofana gave us an early lead with a brilliant 15 yard header. Pierre Womé's second half own goal helped us into a 2-0 lead. However, some terrible defending allowed Fabien Raddas score directly from a cross, we had literally three chances to just clear the ball but we just didn't. Eduardo Rodrigo's late red card meant we could see out the game a lot easier.

MATCHDAY 7: Red Star 3-0 Dunkerque
Lefaix (47), Beziouen (77), Bellion (pen 87)

View attachment 282292

This game was strange, I fully expected to lose, but in the first half, we were completely outplayed yet we got to half-time at 0-0. We were much better second half and more than matched them, but we shipped three goals. That's football I suppose, but we have to address our poor defending or else we'll never win again!

MATCHDAY 8: Dunkerque 1-1 Boulogne
Tamboura (28) | Gbizié (78)

View attachment 282287

This was a good point, we were a bit lacklustre throughout the game, and we went ahead rather undeservedly as Tamboura continued his decent early season form. The second half was scrappy and dreary, but Henry Gbizié got them a deserved point.

MATCHDAY 9: Istres 1-2 Dunkerque
Alves (57) | Dorizon (73), Boudaud (90+1)

View attachment 282282

Yet again we end a month with a win, and it was another good counter-attacking from the boys. The first half was terrible: practically no goalmouth action. The second half how ever saw the game come to life. Matheus Alves headed in from a free-kick to give them a 1-0 lead, but Dorizon's close range finish 15 minutes from time gave us a hope of a victory. And that hope was accomplished in stoppage time as Dimitri Boudaud's wonderful 25 yard free-kick found the top corner.

Results:

View attachment 282278

So September has been a really good month for us as we pick up 10 points from a possible 15, which is definitely not relegation form. Some of our defensive frailties disappeared but they're still quietly prominent, especially our defending from set pieces which has been atrocious. But if we can keep up the quality of our counter-attack then I feel we've got a great chance of pushing for a mid-table finish at least.