The Final Whistle: Written by Anu

Roonaldo

Club Captain
Reaction score
I originally posted this topic on FMC but as that has now closed, I would like to share my "blogs" to the community of FM Base. My main focus behind this is to share my opinion with you and yourself vice versa. I understand that there are various match threads etc but they tend to get clogged up very quickly, particularly turning in Manchester United vs Liverpool over and over again.

I shall be posting some of the entries I already have which are able to be viewed in the OP. Hopefully we can have some good debates without ending up having keyboard wars. Unfortunately due to FMC closing down, I cannot regain all of my entries but I have a couple saved. From now on I shall be saving each work before I post.

I hope that these entries are good. Everyones' got an opinion. I shall be sharing mine. And feel free to share yours'.

Manchester United 2-2 West Brom
A defensive calamity and an inabilty to finish the game off. Thats been the story of Manchester Uniteds' season so far. The starting line up consisted of in-form players like Nani and Berbatov but no Wayne Rooney. West Brom themselves have enjoyed some good form too but were without the in-form Peter Odemwingie and replaced winger Jerome Thomas. United without Darren Fletcher and Paul Scholes, the latter starting the game on the bench instead saw a central midfield partnership of Anderson and Michael Carrick. Rumours of Owen Hargreaves returning proved not to be true. Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez formed a partnership up front with Nani and Ryan Giggs occupying the flanks. West Brom played with a formation of 4-2-3-1. Scharner and Mulumbu protecting the back four with Chris Brunt, James Morrison and Tchoyi looking to support lone striker Marc-Antoine Fortune.

United looked lively during the opening twenty minutes. And it was no suprise they took the lead after only five minutes. An error from Scott Carson, parrying a free kick from Nani ended up in Hernandez scoring his first Premier League goal. It was a cheap free kick to give away with Hernandez having no one to pass too yet James Morrison uphelded him. The way United were passing was quite direct. Nani saw a lot of the ball, running at defenders and generally causing mayhem for the Baggies. Whilst the two central midfielders played a more conservative game they were getting the ball in good attacking areas.

The way West Brom were playing was more expressive. Expressive I mean by getting the ball to the attacking trio. Chris Brunt in particular had a splendid match whipping in some great crosses. They played a nice passing game. However a slip by Nicky Shorey led to the hosts' second goal.
This slip led to Nani running at the defenders. The main problem was that nobody was challenging him. He had a lot of time and space. A nice little one-two with Berbatov and a first time finish saw Nani get his second goal in consecutive league games.
A changing point in the game was when Giggs had to be replaced due to injury and replaced by a more defensive midfielder in Darron Gibson. Now I don't mind seeing Gibson. Some of his play, in particular his shooting reminds me of Paul Scholes. However this injury lead to Hernandez filling in the left wing spot. Personally I would have stuck Anderson in that position. Or I would have called upon Gabriel Obertan into the match day squad. But anways...
That was pretty much how the first half was played out.

Start of the second half and West Brom were pressing really well. The young right back Rafael didn't have a good game. What West Brom were doing particularly well was whipping in crosses. With a good target man in Fortune that was probably their best way of scoring. Morrison played a solid role as a box to box midfielder. His role often saw him having to track back a lot but he did very well, especially in stopping attacks near the halfway line.

The Baggies managed to reduce it to a one goal deficit when Anderson fouled Tchoyi. As I mentioned earlier the crossing from the visitors was quite good and this is how they scored. Brunt whipped in a low cross in the centre. It was meant to be for the man running in but it deflected off a number of players before creeping in. Shortly after that another cross was fumbled by Edwin Van der Sar leaving Tchoyi with the simple finish. All four goals were a result of defensive errors. And if anything West Brom looked the side who were going to score again. The second half saw Tchoyi playing more of an inside forward. He definately caused Evra problems. United turned complacent. It was the visitors who dominated midfield. The introduction of Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney in the 72nd minute for Anderson and Carrick signalled a sign of United looking to ****** the points. This saw a change. Hernandez returned to the striker duty with Berbatov in the hole and Rooney and Nani as inside forwards. In fact Rooney saw a shot cleared off the line as the Baggies saw off an impressive display with a point at Old Trafford.

Overall Verdict-There was no doubt West Brom dominated midfield. It was an open game but Uniteds' complacency in the second half led to their own downfall. The likes of Anderson and Carrick failed to really make something happen. Berbatov had a few chances but likewise Hernandez was left frustrated. I felt that West Brom, after a shaky start were very organised. Credit to Mulumbu and Scharner who played the role of holding midfielders very well. Uniteds' problems defensively seem to come from crosses. We saw it today, against Everton and Fulham. Evra and Rafael didn't have a good game and the former hasn't had a good start to the new campaign. Something for Sir Alex to think about...I hope so.

This is one of my first entries. I shall be varying from match reports to individual players etc. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks
Anu

Very interesting Anu. :)

You've got me interested.

FM Chat has closed down :O

Anyway, very interesting :)

At the turn of the year, struggling Middlesbrough were commiting suicide as they crashed down the league. This despite huge contrasts at the start of the season, when under the management of Gareth Southgate, they reached the play offs. However on the 20th October, after just seeing his side to a comfortable 2-0 victory against Derby, the former England defender was given the sack. Strange decision. But this is not what I am talking about.

On that night, young and bright winger Adam Johnson found the net on both occasions. He was a bright prospect, very highly rated by the club. But so was Nathan Porritt, and look at him now. However it was no shock that eventually Johnson would move to the top flight. Manchester City forked out the fee, believed to be £7m to take to Eastlands.

Now we all know the huge amount of money at Roberto Mancinis' disposal. When Johnson first signed, a lot of people said it was the wrong decision. That soon a big name will arrive and take his place. Manchester Citys' tactics consist of one up front (usually Tevez), two wingers, and De Jong, Barry and Yaya Toure in midfield. When you look at this in context to this season and their current players their wingers up til now have been David Silva and James Milner. Adding the fact that Mario Balotelli is fit again, he could well take someones' place.

I've seen some exciting things that he has produced. He already has two goals for England to his name but his trickery is superb. I remember the 3-0 win against Liverpool where he tormented Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger. It seems that England have finally found a winger with a bit of flair. He then put in a dubious yet according to the sponsors, a twenty minute man of the match display against Newcastle.

But what I particularly like about him though, is his confidence to take people on and to take shots. The difference between him and other wingers I've seen for England is that they become too predictable. Shaun Wright-Phillips is much more effective in the central role however he continues to play on the wing. Although he's quite fast, he slows play down and often ends up coming far too much on the inside. The same goes for Joe Cole. However what Adam Johnson gives you is that he takes the full backs on, inside and outside. His right foot might not be as effective but he's a danger when he gets the ball. Sometimes his play reminds me of Chris Waddle. But he's still got a long way to go.

Maybe in three years the name on every England fans' lips is Adam Johnson. If he applies himself to be better than the foreign imports we might see a very good player. As early as the season is, I think it's fair to say I wouldn't mind him at United. He could be great.

Very well written, and good to see youre not just writing about man utd.

Very well written, and good to see youre not just writing about man utd.

Thanks Joe :). I'll be writing more all round rather than focusing on one team. It makes it a lot more better to debate with. Comments appreciated :)

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:05 PM ----------

No one can deny that the the youth of Arsenal is one which, if nurtured well, could be world beaters. The emergence of Jack Wilshere, the return of Theo Walcott and the ability of Carlos Vela whilst not forgetting Aaron Ramsey too. Compile these four alongside the rest of the young lads and you imagine that in three or four years these youngsters will be carrying the torch of Arsenal. But one name not mentioned here is the hard working and hugely talented Henri Lansbury.

A year ago, he was part of an England U19 squad who travelled to the Ukraine to participate in the UEFA European U19 Championships. A squad which returned home with the runner up medals after losing to the hosts in the final. Lansbury, a box to box midfielder has often been compared to former Gunners' legend Ray Parlour. Some of his performances in the academy and whilst on loan to Watford last season showed why.

Having played for England in several age groups, Lansbury has experience. He has captained the U19 side and is now a regular in the U21 squad. Last season, he alongside Manchester Uniteds' Tom Cleverley enjoyed a successful loan spell at Watford. His ability to win the ball and his vision of a pass made him a favourite at Watford.

For a young lad, his reading of the game is quite good. What I like about him, is his timing of runs. A quick lad, Lansbury has an instinctive ability to make his way forward which has seen him score key goals such as the Carling Cup 4-1 win against Spurs. Despite having a tendency to be inconsistent when it comes to decision making, which you would expect from a young lad, he has the potential to be a star.

He's going to find it tough to get into the starting line up. Arsenal have a lot of quality in midfield and strike. Perhaps a loan move would give him the first team experience he needs. During the summer he was linked with Newcastle and West Brom alongside numerous Championship clubs. However I feel this is a time in his career where if he is going to leave on loan, he should leave for a Premiership club. His spell at Watford has done him good, giving him experience with a run in the first team. Despite being highly rated by the club a spell out on loan to a top flight club can only help his potential.

Imagine this time in the next three years. The Arsenal boys will be Arsenal men. And no one can underestimate them. The future is bright for the Gunners'. Absolutely.

A very good read. TBH the future has always been bright for Arsenal but they should focus more on the present.

Good read so far. Since the introduction of blogs I've read a few - Frankie, Joss and Chris namely - and this has been added to the list.

A very good read. TBH the future has always been bright for Arsenal but they should focus more on the present.

Thanks for the compliment :). Yes they should focus on the present but who's to say some of these youngsters will play a part this season ;)

Good read so far. Since the introduction of blogs I've read a few - Frankie, Joss and Chris namely - and this has been added to the list.

Cheers Mike :)