181px-fsv_mainz_05_logo-svg.png

December

Bundesliga, Round 14
Mainz 2-0 Hannover (Risse, Allagui)

Marcel Risse and Allagui on target as win quite comfortably against Hannover who are having another good season. Risse scoring with a direct free-kick something which we hadnt done this season.

Bundesliga, Round 15
Cottbus 0-1 Mainz (Allagui)

Ended up being a very nervous and tense final few minutes when we should've wrapped the game uplong time ago. Polanski missed from the spot as well.

Champions league, Match Day 6
Mainz 3-1 Napoli (own goalx2, Allagui)

As can be seen from the table on the last post, Shakhtar were ahead of us on having a better goal difference. With Shakhtar away at United even a draw would probably see us through. We didnt get of to the best of starts as Napoli took the lead in the 6th minute. However at Old Trafford United were 2-0 up inside half an hour meaning if the scores stayed the same we would finish 3rd. All that aside we put a fantastic 2nd half performance and fully deserved the 3 points.

Bundesliga, Round 16
Mainz 0-1 Hoffenheim

Our spate of games were now taking its toll on the players and with the midweek German Cup game against Hamburg in mind I rested a couple of key players and it sort of backfired. Hoffenheim edged a tight contest of few chances.

German Cup, Round 3
Mainz 2-0 Hamburg (Risse, Zezinho)

The word I would use for this performance was clinical. By no means our best performance but we took the chances that came our way whist restricting Hamburg to next to no clear cut chances.

Bundesliga, Round 17
Nurnberg 0-4 Mainz (Risse, Ujahx3)

All 4 of our goals came in the first half wiith 3 of them coming after Nurnberg were reduced to 10 men in the 20th minute. Delighted to win this as Nurnberg are the closest team to us in the league.

Mid Season Review

15f29lw.png

Well, what a start to the season. 2nd in the table, 2 points behind Bayern and a massive 7 points ahead of 3rd placed Nurnberg is certainly not what I had anticipated. We are also the top scorers in the league and unlike last season have been good at the back as well.

As expected we did not qualify for the knockout stages of the champions League but that was always going to be difficult with the draw we had so I am really pleased to finish 3rd and head into the Europa League. We've drawn Sparta Prague in the next round where I fancy our chances. Should we win we'll face either Dynamo Kyiv or Juventus.

January

Transfers

Luis Guilherme, who was signed in the summer joins us from Botafago and will go straight into the first team. Muller is still rated the better 'keeper but he has made some mistakes this season and the more Guilherme plays the better he gets.

View attachment 232398

My long term transfer target Lorenzo Crisetig was transfer listed by Inter and we beat off competition from Napoli to secure the Defensive Midfielder for a measly 275k. Not necessarily a position I play too often but with Adryan not impressing much after his injury and Petrucci not doing anything at all I might reconsider my choice of formation.

View attachment 232399

German Acosta, an 18 year old RB also signed on the dotted line this January. My scouts alerted me about him and he does look good. Does not come cheap however as we parted with 1.3m to secure his services from Boca Juniors. Will play 2nd fiddle to Romario this season but the starting spot is up for grabs.

View attachment 232403

After some careful thinking I decided not to offer new contracts to Marco Caligiuri and Zdenech Pospech both of whom only have 6 months remaining on their contracts. Pospech has already agreed a contract with Vitesse and will join them in the summer and Caligiuri will follow suit I imagine.

Winter Friendlies

Seraing 0-5 Mainz
Nimes Olympique 1-6 Mainz

FC St. Pauli 0-0 Mainz
Mainz 1-0 Union Berlin

Bundesliga, Round 18
1860 Munchen 0-3 Mainz (Pajot, Bungert, Own Goal)

A very easy win in the first game after the Winter Break. Pajot getting his first goal for the club and generally playing quite well.

German Cup, Quarterfinal
Mainz 4-1 Hannover (Ujah, Steiber, Risse, Polanski)

Was a very even first 20 minutes until 2 brilliant runs and crosses by Risse saw us score 2 goals in 3 minutes. From then on we controlled the match and were 4-0 up at half time. The 2nd half was just a question of seeing off the game which we did and move into the semifinals. We haven't had the best of luck with the draws so far but we've drawn Rostock who are 14th in the 2nd Division in the semis.

Review

35lcj5x.png

Our win against 1860 Munchen coupled with Bayern's defeat sees us go top for the first time this season. Still a long way to go but do we dare dream?... Progress to the German Cup semis was sweet especially as we've encountered Bundesliga sides is all but one of the rounds so far. Our reward is a tie against struggling 2nd division side Rostock. A fantastic chance to win some silverware this season.

Despite having plenty of full backs I am now struggling for fit full backs. Both Romario and Acosta are on international duty and have been for a long time and arent due to be back until the 10th of February. Gabriel Silva who's had a fantastic season is out of action for 2 weeks. All this leaves me with 2 full backs with plenty of games coming up. Another player out injured is Baumartlinger who got injured in the friendlies and is out for a month.

The redevelopment of the Coface Arena has finished and we can now go back our 'home'.

30wuk94.png

February

Bundesliga, Round 19
Mainz 4-0 Hamburg (Ujahx2, Petrucci)

Much more even game than the scoreline might suggest. The difference between the 2 sides was essentially some superb runs and finishing from Ujah who got his 2nd hat trick of the season. Petrucci had his best game in a Mainz shirt scoring his first goal for the club and getting 2 assists. Despite such a big win the big news is that Steiber broke his foot and will be out of action for 5 months which is a huge blow.

Bundesliga, Round 20
Mainz 1-1 Leverkusen (Allagui)

Not a very good spectacle with very few chances throughout the game. Leverkusen took the lead before half time with a stunning Barnetta effort. We got the equaliser 15 minutes from time though for much of the game we didn't look like scoring.

Bundesliga, Round 21
Dortmund 1-3 Mainz (Ujah, Rissex2)

Barring a red card this game had everything you could wish for in a football game. Missed chances, ball hitting the woodwork, goals disallowed and plenty of excitement all round. All 4 goals came in the last 15 minutes of the game. Ujah put us ahead in the 77th minute only for Dortmund to equaliser 2 minutes later. Dortmund then threw everything at us for the last 10 minutes only for us to grab 2 goals on the counter with the excellent Zezinho.

Europa League, Round of 32 Leg 1
Sparta Prague 3-2 Mainz (Pogba, Ujah)

I decided to rest some players for this game with some of the first teamers a bit tired and ended up playing some players out of position. Prague were the better team but was still gutting to concede a 92nd minute winner even though it was coming. Still fancy our chances in the return leg.

Bundeslga, Round 22

Mainz 1-1 Freiburg (Allagui)

So not only did we lose in midweek but resting the players hasn't helped us in the league either. Freiburg got the opener in the 15th minute and although we controlled the rest of the match it took us until the hour mark to get to level terms. We then threw the kitchen sink in the last 20 minute or so and a better side than Freiburg might have made us pay on the counter.

Europa League, Round of 32 Leg 2

Mainz 4-0 Sparta Prague (Ujah, Risse, Crisetigx2)

This time it was the first team that strode out and 4 minutes in Ujah put us 1-0 up to put us on top. Sparta were then reduced to 10 men in the 11th minute and game became effectively dead. Lorenzo Crisetig on his first start bagged a very good brace. We face Juventus in the next round as they beat Kyiv 7-4 on aggregate.

Review

atroew.png

Bayern had a very patchy month meaning even with the couple of slip ups we're still out in front. I still dont think we'll win the league but top 2 is a real possibility now. Steiber's injury was a real blow but Zezinho has filled in really well. Petrucci had a very good month and long may this continue.

And finally my chairman agreed to upgrade both the youth and training facilities which were not upto the mark.

2vm994w.png

28gqcsy.png

March

German Cup, Semifinal
Mainz 3-0 Rostock (Ujah, Risse, Petrucci)

As expected before the game a very comfortable win against the lower league side. 21 shots to their 7 and never looked like conceding. Through to the final and another 2nd division side awaits in Wolfsborg although their team on paper is better than most first division sides.

Bundesliga, Round 23

Mainz 4-0 Werder Bremen (Rissex2, Adryanx2)

Game was quite even until Zezinho beat 2 Werder defenders with ease and put in a peach of a cross to set up the first. It was the same combination that got us the 2nd on the hour mark. Adyran then got his first 2 goals for the club to give the scoreline a rather flattering look.

Europa League, Round of 16 leg 1
Mainz 3-0 Juventus (Bungert, Petrucci, Ujah)

Hard to explain how we put 3 part Juve in this one. They had 57% possession and 17 shots and quite dominant throughout. First goal came from a corner and the 2nd from a very good counter. The 3rd goal was a defensive blunder as a long punt up the field wasnt defended by Juve and Ujah made them pay.

Bundesliga, Round 24
Kaiserslautern 2-0 Mainz (Bell)

Decided to take a risk and rest some players for this Derby and it didnt come off. We took the lead in the 11th minute from a corner but 2 goals in the last 15 minutes gave us a deserved loss.

Europa League, Round of 16 Leg 2
Juventus 4-2 Mainz (Bungert, Polanksi)

With some of the players still tired it was another weakened team that strode out as I decided to play for a 0-0. Unfortunately that never materialise. Juventus completely outplayed us this time amassing 21 shots and were 4-0 ahead with just 53 minutes gone. Having switched to a more attacking strategy it took us till the 83rd minute to get the all important away goal. We sealed the tie in the 89th minute via a Polanski goal. Great comeback and next up are Bayer Leverkusen who I havent lost to since I've taken over mainz.

Bundesliga, Round 25
Mainz 3-0 Hertha Berlin (Ujahx2, Adryan)

A win was a must here after 2 defeats on the trot and that was exactly what we got. Ujah whose form has led to me dropping Allagui who's the Bundesliga top scorer getting 2 and Adryan getting his 3rd goal of his career.

Bundesliga, Round 26
Bayern Munich 1-1 Mainz (Ujah)

HUGE game in terms of the title situation. I set up for a 0-0 and we defended very well until Robben scored a right beauty 10 minutes before half time. Ujah got us on level terms with a brilliant goal in the 58th minute. beyond it was just a case of withstanding a Bayern assault and we did that but only just. A massive point.

Review

2csdr9y.png

So a point behind Bayern with a game in hand sees the title race very much on. This month has taken a lot out of us however with 7 games in all. However we are through to the German Cup final and the Europa League quarterfinals so another busy month ahead.

Petrucci, Adryan and Zezinho were all fantastic in the month. One thing I forgot to mention last month was that Romario was named in dream team of the South American U-20 championships.

My young january signing German Acosta has failed to settle in so I have sent him back to Argentina for a month.

9a33vo.png

Last edited:

April

Bundesliga, Round 27
Stuttgart 1-2 Mainz (Risse, Allagui)

We went down to a brilliant team goal finished off by Okazaki in what was a pretty dour and insipid first half from both teams. We could've fallen further behind had it not been for a penalty save by Guilherme at the stroke of half time. Second half was a different ball game as we battered them for pretty much the entire game. Risse got the equaliser in the 67th minute and Allagui got the all important winner 15 minutes from time.

Bundesliga, Round 28
Mainz 4-1 Frankfurt (Petrucci, Ujah, Muller, own goal)

A thrashing handed out to fierce rivals Frankfurt. We were 2-0 up inside 11 minutes and a 20th minute red for Frankfurt effectively ended the game as a contest as we cruised for the rest of the game.

Europa League, Quarterfinal Leg 1
Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 Mainz (Ujah)

Well that was a bit hard to take even though on the whole Leverkusen probably just about deserved. we took the lead just before half time but some calamitous defending allowed leverkusen back into the game in the 66th defense. Stefan bell then got sent off with 15 minutes still left. And the comeback by leverkusen was complete with 10 minutes to ago when Derdiyok made it 2-1.

Bundesliga, Round 29
Koln 1-2 Mainz (Risse, Noveski)

The heavy schedule of the last month or 2 has been telling with some real tired legs in the squad. It showed against Koln especially in the 2nd half. After having taken the lead courtesy a great goal by risse we then surrendered it a minute later. Noveski got what turned out be a winner in the 30th minute. We were quite rubbish in truth for most of the 2nd half but this is the hallmark of champions of potential champions I hope.

Europa League, Quarterfinal Leg 2
Mainz 0-2 Bayer leverkusen

Very disappointing exit eventually. We played very well in the first half but a great strike by Schurrle gave Leverkusen the lead. 5 minutes in to the 2nd half Leverkusen made it 2-0 via a well worked Rolfes goal. W never quite recovered from that and our journey in Europe ends. We had never lost to Leverkusen in 4 previous meetings in the league before this tie...

Bundesliga, Round 30
Hannover 1-1 Mainz (Zezinho)

We had plenty of the ball in the first half without creating much so the players were sent out to the 2nd half after a right old rollicking . And it showed as we looked purposeful going forward and finally we got the breakthough in the 72nd minute through Zezinho. However Gabriel Silva was sent off for a vicious tackle just 2 minutes later. And it was going to cost us as Hannover equalised in the 89th minute and almost grabbed a late winner.

Bundesliga, Round 31
Mainz 1-1 Schalke (Allagui)

Another very ordinary performance in the first half saw Schalke head into the break 1-0 up. We did turn up in the first 2nd half however and got our just rewards in the 66th minute. We went all out for the winner from there on in but the ball just wouldn't go in.

Bundesliga, Round 32
Mainz 4-0 cottbus (Muller, Ujahx2, Baumgartinger)

This was pretty much a must win. Bottom of the table with next to no hope of escaping the drop and thankfully we di the job in the first half itself as we went 3-0 up into the break. Rest of the game allowed me to rest a few jaded players.

Review

3460vhj.png

Bayern have been very inconsistent this month however our own patchy form means we have been unable to put them away. Their last 2 games are against Kaiserslautern and Hertha Berlin, 2 games I'd fancy them to win. On the other hand we face Hoffenheim and Nurnberg, 3rd and 4th respectively in the table. However due to our much superior goal difference we only really need a win to become champions! We'll be without the services for Gabriel Silva however

w65bb.png

Exit in the Europa league was disappointing even if it wasnt too surprising. We were very smuch struggling with Fitness during the month which showed in some mediocre performances.

The Date and the venue for the German Cup final has been set

hult7b.png

May

Bundesliga, Round 33

Hoffenheim 0-5 Mainz (Zezinho, Baumgartlinger, Ujah, Petrucci, Risse)

We lined up with a fully fit side for the first time in a while and boy did it show or what! Coming into the game we knew a win would all but seal the title and we blitzed Hoffenheim apart going 4-0 up inside 15 minutes. Risse added a 5th in the 2nd half. As Bayern won, we had to wait until our final game against Nurnberg to be given the trophy.

Bundesliga, Final Day

Mainz 3-0 Nurnberg (Uajh, Kirchoff, Allagui)

Another superb performance from us to seal the title in style at home. 62% possession and `16 shots in the whole game. Also Ujah and Allagui end up as the joint top scorers of the Bundesliga.

GYI0062070170_crop_450x500.jpg

Mainz fans celebrate their first title

German Cup Final
Mainz 3-1 Wolfsborg (Bellx2, own goal)

This was sor of a champion vs champions match. Wolfsborg had been crowned 2.Bundesliga champions some time ago. However this was a no contest as we finished the season strongly and pretty much tore them apart though we needed set pieces to score our goals.

Mainz have done the double!

2z674nr.png

I was also asked this at the press-conference

10ztp1h.png

Season Review

Well for a start I've been awarded the Manager of the season and the players manager of the season awards after the season finished. I've also rejected a job offer by Benfica.

Top Scorers (All competitions)

Anthony Ujah - 25 goals
Sami allagui - 19 goals
Marcel Risse - 15 goals

assists
Top Assisters (All Competition)

Zezinho - 19 assists
Marcel Risse - 18
Davide Petrucci - 11 assists

Most MOM's

Marcel Risse - 8 MOM's

Top Scorer (League)

View attachment 233396

Team of the Season (League)

View attachment 233397

League Stats

View attachment 233398

Mainz Player of the season

GYI0064345163_crop_450x500.jpg

Marcel Risse

Pre-Season News

First up I got the best job offer Germany has to offer i.e the Bayern Munich offer after Heckynes retired from the game. I rejected it naturally...

efmarm.png

After the great double winning season last time around our coffers swelled and we moved up 56 places the rich list standing

ri6p76.png

Was quite happy with the Transfer Budget and the payroll this season.

2zqsgg7.png

The Board didn't give me much of a choice with regards to the season expectations. The minimum expectation was to mount a serious title challenge.

However the bookmakers seemed to agree with my board and had me second favourites for the title

23wqqu8.png

Transfers

Carlos Fierro (Striker)

After selling Szalai in January we were a striker short and Fierrro perfectly fits every criteria I am looking for in a player. Young, Talented and relatively cheap at 6m.

View attachment 234101

Tolga Cigerci (Central Midfielder)

I was looking for a permanent CM signing after loaning one in for the last 2 seasons but after a bit of searching Cigerci on loan from Manchester United was the best option.

View attachment 234103

I was also on the look out for a right winger to replace Thomas Muller as back up to Marcel Risse but the efforts were in main. Muller is a good back up but not the type of wingers I like in my squad.

As for transfers out, the only real deal was Denis Yimaz leaving for 500k. He hadnt played a single game for my first 2 seasons and I've been trying to sell him for about a season now. There were other leaving on loan to the 2nd division sides.

Friendlies

St Pauli 0-7 Mainz
Pasching 0-4 Mainz
Westerlo 3-4 Mainz

Mainz 1-1 Chelsea
Offenbach 0-6 Mainz

Great pre-season all in all. St Pauli who we thrashed 7-0 will play in the top flight this season so thats a very good sign indeed. A great performance against Chelsea as well where we were the better team and quite unfortunate not to win.

Unfortunately we'll be missing Lorenzo Crisetig, Romario and German Acosta for most of the first month of the league as they are off to play the U20 world cup.

Last edited:

German Super Cup
Bayern Munich 1-3 Mainz (Risse, Ujahx2)

A very good win and its perhaps for the first time we've looked very good against Beyern. Risse gave us the lead in the 13th minute before Ujah doubled it 7 minutes later. Armero got a goal back for Bayern but Ujah scored again to restore the 2 goal gap. Defensively we were quite solid in the second half until Vincent pajot got a red in the 64th minute. We had to with stand quite intense pressure from there on in but Bayern failed to create many clear cut chances. We were then reduced to 9 men in the dying seconds as Steiber was also sent off.

German Cup, Round 1
Dresden 1-4 Mainz (Pajot, Bell, Own Goal Zezinho)

While we were the deserved winners the final scoreline probably flattered us as we werent that much better than Dresden on the night. Through to the next round however where we face another lower league side in Dusseldorf.

Bundesliga, Round 1

Hamburg 0-1 Mainz (Bungert)

A very professional performance in Hamburg. They were slightly the better side in the first half we defended very well. The 2nd half belonged to us quite easily but the winner came in the 90th minute from a corner.

Bundesliga, Round 2
Mainz 2-2 Koln (Fierro, Risse)

A sloppy performance in our first home game. Dominated the first half with Fierro getting his first goal for the club and we had several chances to extend our lead. A mad 6 minutes at the start of the 2nd half saw Koln lead us. The equaliser came 9 minutes from time as Fierro played a peach of a cross after a great run.

Bundesliga, Round 3
Freiburg 1-5 Mainz (Fierrox2, Petrucci, Bungert, Allagui)

This looked like being a repeat of the Koln game as Freiburg equalised early in the 2nd half after barely seeing the ball in the first half. This time round however we finished the job in style.

Bundesliga, Round 4
Mainz 4-1 Monchengladbach (Fierrox2, Petrucci, Bungert)

Superb performance all round and could've a lot more. Fierro continues his great start at the club by getting another brace. Petrucci has come on **** of a lot in the last 6 months as well and is an undisputed starter. Not bad for someone who just cost 190k.

Review

Good start to our season and the football played is as good as ever with several chances created. A trophy already in the bag in the form of the Super Cup. I had to play a 15 year old Right back in the league with both Romario and Acosta away and he did a good job. We did suffer injuries to Polanski, Cigerci and Zexinho.

View attachment 234117

unforunately Cigerci's inury was quite bad so I sent him back to United and was in the market again for a CM. I finally zeroed in on Zakaria Labyad. He came at 5.25m (rising upto 6m). As talented as Cigerci and with room to improve.

View attachment 234118

The U20 world Cup reached its conclusion and all 3 of Crisetig, Romario and Acosta are back and all 3 had very good tournaments. Romario's Brazil knocked out Argentina in the semis before winning the final. Romario was in fact named the best player in the tournament.

1620192.png

The champions league groups were drawn and we were drawn into Group H consisting of

FC Porto
Napoli
Toulouse
Mainz

Its an easier group than last season for sure but I fear we might once again be scrapping about for that 3rd spot.

September

Bundesliga, Round 5
Nurnburg 0-0 Mainz

A very sluggish performance in what was an awful match. Neither team deserved to win and all the stats were level as well. 12 shots and 50% possession.

Champions League, Match Day 1
Napoli 1-1 Mainz (Risse)

Poor performance overall. Rise gave us the lead in the 6th minute and Napoli were reduced to 10 men in the 21st minute. Despite that we never looked like scoring a 2nd and Napoli got a deserved equaliser 10 minutes from time. Would've taken a point at the start but playing against 10 men for for over an hour we should've got all 3 points.

Bundesliga, Round 6
Mainz 3-0 Werder Bremen (Risse, Bungert, Ujah)

A return to form after 2 very average performances. Dominated most of the game and could've been more goals in a game that saw 10 yellows dished out.

Bundesliga, Round 7
Hannover 1-4 Mainz (Fierro, Steiber, Zezinho, Polanski)

A very good comeback after a poor first half. Hannover deservedly took the lead in the 30th minute through Ya Konan. We got a equaliser just before half time after a great through ball by Zezinho was finished off by Fierro. 2nd half saw us turning the screw on Hannover as we scored 3 more times. Unfortunately Petrucci got injured and will now miss 2 weeks of action.

Review

A good month for us, and even the point at Napoli might prove to be important later on though we really should've won that game. Fierro has made an excellent start to his and not only is he scoring goals, he's also creating them.

View attachment 234389

Amazing, unbeaten so far and great result against Napoli. Keep going Mainz!! Woooo