'The Last Train to Wales'- A Chris Turner Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Who needs Ba; we got Best
Reaction score
'Background: Chris Turner's footballing career started off at local team Sawston United at the tender age of 8 years old. He spent six years at Sawston winning the 'Colts 'B' League' and one 'Tesco Cup' victory over local rivals Histon Hornets.' Chris never got on with his manager and after a verbal fight between the two, Turner left the club to join 'NST', despite having to move down to the 'D' League of Cambridgeshire football. Then after leaving NST, during which he spent 2 years at the club, Chris coached the local Sawston Clubs from ages of 'Under 11's' to the 'Under 15's.' Chris was out of football until the age of 24 then went on to earn his coaching badges. After this, he spent 5 years at Cambridge United, coaching the 'Under 16's'. Now at the age of 30 years old, Chris is on the lookout for a management career at a bigger club.'

'The Train to Wales-Chapter One'​

Monday, 16th November 2009

whittlesford.jpg

The man sat at Whittlesford train station that Monday morning. A typical November in England. Cloudy, a light shower and a strong enough wind to blow your coat hood off. The commuters hurried by, all of them worrying about where they had to be, thinking they were important but yet all meant so little. Trains clattered past at 45 miles an hour, windows steamed up and window wipers furiously cleared the rain from the grubby windscreens. Middle aged men were drinking coffee and reading the 'Metro.' No-one bothered to look at the 30-something man, sitting on the damp, metal seat. They had places to be, meetings to go to. The odd couple would kiss an emotional goodbye but they were irrelevant.

As the rain steadily became a downpour, a man walked over from the car-park. He was wearing a suede suit with a tie that didn't match. He spoke in a slight Welsh accent but his expression was dead-pan and serious.

'I think you better come with me.'

He didn't have to say anything else. The two men strolled over to the waiting train. This was no ordinary Monday morning. This was the start of a new job. A new career. But more importantly, for that insignificant accountant, a new life.

The train slowly accelerated away. They were just two unimportant men. But to some, they would soon mean so much.

Last edited:
good luck with this Chris, hope you get a job, and I can't wait for the storyline to unfurl itself :D

goodluck mate the tesco cup lol were in that this year.

Thanks guys. (K)

Lol, yeah, the Tesco Cup is great. ^^)

The Same Day...

swanseastation.jpg

I was sat in the train, on that cold, wet, but memorable Monday morning in November, next to a rowdy family, who's constant bickering echoed around the confined carriage and into the next one. The windows were vandalised in red paint and cracks that snaked from the top to the bottom of the window were evident on the rain splattered screen. There were few people in the carriage, all of them un-interested and unfriendly.

Despite the lack of people on the train, I had decided to sit away from the man I had encountered at the station, choosing to think about what would happen next in my life. As I pondered this, one of the kids shoes flew off, smacking my knee. I glared at the woman, in loose fitting tracksuit bottoms and jacket and trudged off to wait by the doors at the far end of the carriage.

The man was waiting for me as I pushed hard on the doors, connecting the carriages and we were silent for a moment, both of us wondering what to say next. It was he who spoke first. I noticed a hint of Welsh accent in his gentle, almost hypnotic voice:

'Chris, I think we both know why we are here, don't we?'

'Yes, but...'

He cut me out before I had a chance to say anything to him.

His voice had turned angry and resentful.'This is your future now, as well as ours. All of our hopes rest on you but I am unsure of whether you are really up to the task in hand. The board may like you, but I don't.'

The train came to a sudden halt. With a sigh, I stepped of the train behind the mysterious, hateful man. I was slightly taken aback by his harsh comments but we had arrived. There was no time for arguments. The sign read:

'Welcome to Swansea. Enjoy your stay.'

I brushed the rain from my suit and threw my one-way ticket in the bin. A new era had begun.

Last edited:
Thanks for following. :)

I will be able to get plenty more in today. ;)

Good start, following! Always nice to have another story which has clearly taken a lot of effort. :)

Good start, following! Always nice to have another story which has clearly taken a lot of effort. :)

Thanks a lot mate. Your words have made my day. :)

I spent a month or two thinking and re-writing this so I am glad people are enjoying it. :D

What a brilliant story to read! Great start, keep it up! :D

Wednesday, 18th November 2009

bedroom0.jpg

The mysterious man on the train had booked me into the 'Dragons' Hotel in Swansea for a couple of nights. He had spoken to me as we got in the taxi from the train station.

'We have decided to give you a week in Swansea to decide about your future. Nothing is final.'

I had nodded a solemn goodbye and clambered out of the Ford Mondeo, through the driving rain and into the lobby of the 4* Hotel. It was a grand place inside, filled with chandeliers, a vast array of exotic flowers and an enormous swimming pool in the annex extension round the back. I booked in and took the lift to my room. It was small but well equipped with a TV in the corner and a mini-bar filled with beer. I cracked one open and lay on the bed. It was already Seven O'Clock. I didn't have the stomach to eat so I pulled the duvet over my head, and passed out instantly.

It was a fitful sleep, filled with images of the mysterious man I had met the day before. I could hear him talking in the background. No shouting at me. Screaming!

I woke up with sweat streaming down my face. I lay there, panting for a few minutes. It was eight O'Clock already and the soft, Welsh sun, was streaming through the window. I edged my way out of the bed and pulled back the curtains. I looked down below and to my horror, I saw a masked man with blood trickling down his bare arms. He looked up at me, grinning hideously. Then, he ran into the shadows of the trees. I looked vigilantly, but he was gone.

Last edited:
Man, you have some weird bedroom "habits"...:p

Great update.

Status
Not open for further replies.