The Manchester United Thread

My team for the UCL Final if everyone is fully fit would be;

VDS
Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Carrick
Fletcher - Giggs
Valencia ---------------- Rooney/Park
Hernandez/Rooney​

If Rooney starts on the left, he will track back and has the passing range to break away and find Hernandez on the break. If Park starts ahead of Hernandez, with Giggs in the centre then I believe we will get played off the park but will be solid enough to hold them out. If Messi plays centrally like he has done this season, I can see Vidic and Rio both stopping him, and Evra/Rafael keeping Pedro/Villa fairly quiet too.

Van Der Sar

Raphael -- Ferdinand -- Vidic -- Evra --------

Carrick
Park ------ Giggs
Valencia ---------------------------- Rooney
Hernandez
---
-----------
I would consider dropping Giggs and asking Rooney to play behind Hernandez, just with extra defensive duties. Then maybe Nani could play from the left and try to push Dani Alves back. This would be a little more risky though.

By the way, we still have to control the second leg yet, the tie is not over. Schalke have proved that they can score goals at the big stadiums

Last edited:
My team for the UCL Final if everyone is fully fit would be;

VDS
Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Carrick
Fletcher - Giggs
Valencia ---------------- Rooney/Park
Hernandez/Rooney​

If Rooney starts on the left, he will track back and has the passing range to break away and find Hernandez on the break. If Park starts ahead of Hernandez, with Giggs in the centre then I believe we will get played off the park but will be solid enough to hold them out. If Messi plays centrally like he has done this season, I can see Vidic and Rio both stopping him, and Evra/Rafael keeping Pedro/Villa fairly quiet too.

this.

Although I would start Rooney up top with Park who always perform in the big games out on the left. Fletcher in the middle I think would be key and would give us that extra body in the middle of the park, something we missed in Rome '09. Nani and Hernandez to start on the bench coming on to make an impact with Hernandez's pace causing problems for the Barca defence.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but it does look the most likely.

What do other United fans think of our GK situation? It is very unlikely that VDS will sign an extension although he didn't answer that question, and with Neuer to Bayern is as good as done(not officially though) we are left with
Stekelenburg(Many United fans have forgotten that Steele said Stekelenburg is our numner 1 target, which he said in Jan i think)

De Gea : Many papers have reported that this is a done deal, with no quotes from wither clubs. I would like to see him but can he step up to play for a big club like United is an unanswered question.

Adler: United supporter and would love to play for us. Post injury his form has dropped but pre injury he was excellent. He was German # 1, and was unlucky with the injury as Neuer took the opportunity and never looked back. But I have full confidence on Adler that he will be back to his best and I would love to see him as United keeper.

Lloris: I hope we are not even considering him.

So my choice would be Adler, De Gea considering Neuer is not available and i have not seen stekelenburg even once.

Or do we need to wait and see how Lindegaard progresses with few run of games..

Luka Modric to Manchester United

It's that time of the season again where all the romours start to appear in the press about possible comings and goings at Machester United. Today Luka Modric (not for the first time) has been linked with a summer move to Old Trafford.

What do you guys think about it? I'd have Luka in the squad straight away with his attacking flair. Perfect replace for Paul Scholes once he does decide to hang up his boots?

discuss.

Daily Telegraph Link

Last edited:
It's that time of the season again where all the romours start to appear in the press about possible comings and goings at Machester United. Today Luka Modric (not for the first time) has been linked with a summer move to Old Trafford.

What do you guys think about it? I'd have Luka in the squad straight away with his attacking flair. Perfect replace for Paul Scholes once he does decide to hang up his boots?

discuss.

Forget Bale, Modric is what makes Spurs tick. I'd love to have him.

Don't want Modric. If we're gonna replace Scholes this summer it should be with either 1. Nuri Sahin or 2. Steven Defour.

We should go all out for Sahin though, especially as I read somewhere he has a very low release clause of around 5 million I think and he won't sign a new deal.

Don't want Modric. If we're gonna replace Scholes this summer it should be with either 1. Nuri Sahin or 2. Steven Defour.

We should go all out for Sahin though, especially as I read somewhere he has a very low release clause of around 5 million I think and he won't sign a new deal.

If that's true there's going to be every top club in Europe after him.

Don't really know enough about Sahin apart from being awesome on FM but i'd rather we focus on getting a player who is proven Premier League quality in Luka Modric.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Manchester United target David de Gea has been offered a new contract at current club Athletico Madrid. The young goalkeeper who has been lined up to be a long term replacement at Old Trafford for Edwin Van der Sar when the dutch stopper hangs up his gloves at the end of the current season.

"De Gea is a magnificent player in the squad and has two years left on his contract. We [have] made a renewal offer," Cerezo told Europa Press.

full link

Looks like we could miss out in de Gea as the searh for a number 1 keeper continues.

Liverpool fan in peace;

I just watched the BBC programme 'United' re the Munich air disaster, and may I say it was a brilliant programme and honestly really did open my eyes. Such a tragic disaster where the career's/lives of so many promising footballers was cut short. I don't understand how some of our so called fans could be so cruel in the face of such tragedy. Disaster's such as Munich and Hillsborough should transcent footballing allegiance.

RIP Munich 1958 YNWA

Liverpool fan in peace;

I just watched the BBC programme 'United' re the Munich air disaster, and may I say it was a brilliant programme and honestly really did open my eyes. Such a tragic disaster where the career's/lives of so many promising footballers was cut short. I don't understand how some of our so called fans could be so cruel in the face of such tragedy. Disaster's such as Munich and Hillsborough should transcent footballing allegiance.

RIP Munich 1958 YNWA

Brilliant post mate

Is such a shame that it takes two tragedies that brings the two biggest clubs in England and maybe the world. Forgetting the rivary on the pitch and between the two cities, I for one would like to take the chance to say sorry for the brainless, classless morons who chant about Hillsborough (I for one not being one). It sickens me when so called fans find mocking the lifes of those who have passed as a form of banter and it needs to be stamped out.

RIP Busy Babes/ RIP Hillsborough 96.

Brilliant post mate

Is such a shame that it takes two tragedies that brings the two biggest clubs in England and maybe the world. Forgetting the rivary on the pitch and between the two cities, I for one would like to take the chance to say sorry for the brainless, classless morons who chant about Hillsborough (I for one not being one). It sickens me when so called fans find mocking the lifes of those who have passed as a form of banter and it needs to be stamped out.

RIP Busy Babes/ RIP Hillsborough 96.

Completely agree, more often than not though, it is the genuine Liverpool fans who offer their condolences due to the historical rivalry and the respect between both clubs, if I recall correctly we did actually offer you some reserve players as well though?

I didn't know a great deal about Munich before I watched 'United' earlier, but after watching I spent about a good hour researching online what happened and the players who's lives were sadly prematurely ended; tragic, tragic disaster which hopefully never happens again.

Completely agree, more often than not though, it is the genuine Liverpool fans who offer their condolences due to the historical rivalry and the respect between both clubs, if I recall correctly we did actually offer you some reserve players as well though?

I didn't know a great deal about Munich before I watched 'United' earlier, but after watching I spent about a good hour researching online what happened and the players who's lives were sadly prematurely ended; tragic, tragic disaster which hopefully never happens again.

You certainly did offer us players myfriend doing that awful time, not too sure if we took you up on the offer though.

I agree mate, would be devastating if something like Munich or Hillsborough happened again, although I feel sick as a human being when I see posts on facebook/twitter like "hopefully the plaine doesn't crash on the way back to England from Germany" and so forth. Brainless morons.

Liverpool fan in peace;

RIP Munich 1958 YNWA

This is the reason i like Alex.(K) I'm not joking. I made the thread about this, why there is so much hatred in the modern football. This fits in there perfectly..

I'm not sure about Liverpool offering players, but Madrid offered us Champions league trophy but we denied it. The reason i have massive respect for Madrid. I mean Madrid of old.

Busby babes are called as Best team ever for a reason. Sad that we didn't a chance to see one of the best teams and players.

And also we have Torino's "The Superga tragedy". The team won 5 Serie A's on trot and on the way back home, lost all the players and manager. Such a shame they were never able to recover.

Luckily for us we had Sir Matt Busby.

RIP Busby Babes, Torino FC legends, and Hillsborough 96.

ALEX FERGUSON has risked another FA rap by suggesting Manchester United are victims of a refs' conspiracy.

United now meet Chelsea in a title shootout next Sunday with Fergie "worrying" match officials could cost them glory.
Boss Fergie thought his side should have been awarded a late penalty yesterday and said: "We're not going to get the decisions in these big games, I'm afraid."

Really Saf?

ALEX FERGUSON has risked another FA rap by suggesting Manchester United are victims of a refs' conspiracy.

United now meet Chelsea in a title shootout next Sunday with Fergie "worrying" match officials could cost them glory.
Boss Fergie thought his side should have been awarded a late penalty yesterday and said: "We're not going to get the decisions in these big games, I'm afraid."

Really Saf?

wouldn't suprise me if he is given another touch line ban but lets be honest, he does have a point. although we have also had things go our way like the Vidic hand ball yesterday but in no way have we had decsions like the two Chelsea got against Tottenham, I am worried that a massive decision will again decide the game on Sunday, just got a horrible feeling :(