The right time to bring up youth players?

True Hero

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice when to tell if a youth player is ready to be bought up to the first team? Also, is bringing up a youth player who isn't ready harmful to his development? Reason being, last season I played a few youngsters in the cup matchs to get them some experience before sending them back to the under 18s... would that be beneficial or would it stop them reacing their potential somehow? Towards the end of the season I also played my most promising regen, a 15 year old I paid a couple of million for (beating Real Madrid and Barcelona to the punch!) in some matches as sub. Is it a bit too early to bring him up like that and should I really keep him in the under 18s next season?

In my opinion, first team playing experience will always be beneficial to young players as it allows them to get a real insight in to the world of top flight football and learn from the players around them.

The only way in which it could be detrimental to their development is either if you overplay them and cause them to get reccurring injuries which affect potential playing careers, or if you bring them up and shoot them down with de-moralising team talks/individual conversations.

You can always bring young players in to your first team squad but make them available for the reserves so that they are still playing reserve football, but at the same time learning from the better players around them.

Your instinct should tell you when you think players are ready to come up, trust it!