There should be a few new attributes

Metz

Reaction score
I think that in the FM series, the attributes should be specified slightly more. Perhaps branching off some attributes into two different ones can make the game more interesting and players more varied.

For instance:

Passing - Should be separating into Short Passing and Long Passing. This way you can separate those players who are regular at passing the ball from those who are good advanced playmakers and those who are good deep-lying playmakers. Short passers as good at touching the ball quickly to a teammate next to him or in front of him. Long passers are good at send a long precision pass to a teammate across the field or way in front of him making a run through the opposition's defense.

Work Rate - Work rate should be divided into Attacking Work Rate and Defending Work Rate. Some players focus more on attacking (Ibrahimovic) and others focus more on defending (De Jong). Then you have players who excel in helping the attack and helping to defense (Schweinsteiger and De Rossi). If you seperate work rate into both of those categories, it can help you differentiate players (especially midfielders) when you go purchasing them. If you need a more defensive player in your midfield, then you go and buy one who works harder defending than attacking and vice-versa if you want a midfielder or a forward that helps attack more.

Strength - This should be seperated into Strength and Shot Power. It is one thing to have upper body strength and another thing to have strong legs. Players with upper body strength can push through the defense and not fall as easily when being held on to by other players, as well as challenge succesfuly for the ball in a header attempt. Shot power is when a player has powerful legs that they can blast the ball a long distance. Sure Long Shots exists as a attribute, but this attribute should be redefined similar to finishing, in the sense that its should be more about the accuracy your player has with his long balls then the strength.

Tackling - This issue is not that important. It could possibly be divided into Standing Tackle and Sliding Tackle. Some players may be better at one thing and others at something else. Then you have players who are good at both. This could help so that more offensive players who are good at sliding for the ball can in a way retrieve the ball upfront, instead of offensive players ending up with defensive skills that make him as good as a defender in winning balls.

Volleys - This should exist. Its self-explainable.

What do people think about these ideas?

Last edited:
I think attacking and defending work rate is determined by the sliders, closing down responsibility and runs from deep etc. So there's no real need for that to change. And maybe the PPMs already determine everything else. PPMs are like attributes anyway if you think about it, if there is a potential play maker you like the look of with good passing and creativity but has PPMs such as plays short simple passes or doesn't try killer balls often, then it's obvious they wouldn't be very good despite what the main attributes say. You've just got to look a little bit deeper into the players.

Can't really agree with the passing: what you refer as good short passers (quick,etc) is also reflected by their decisions attribute and the tempo you select to play with.

About the work rate, it isn't defined by the player itself ( take for example Ronaldo:he used to defend 0 but now he sometimes will help being part of the defensive line) but by the instructions set by the manager.

Not so sure about strength, but I reckon it could be, though I believe it would add unacessary complications.

I actually agree with the tackling one. Like on fifa manager, some players are good at standing tackle and some are good at sliding tackle.

I think that in the FM series, the attributes should be specified slightly more. Perhaps branching off some attributes into two different ones can make the game more interesting and players more varied.

For instance:

Passing - Should be separating into Short Passing and Long Passing. This way you can separate those players who are regular at passing the ball from those who are good advanced playmakers and those who are good deep-lying playmakers. Short passers as good at touching the ball quickly to a teammate next to him or in front of him. Long passers are good at send a long precision pass to a teammate across the field or way in front of him making a run through the opposition's defense.

Work Rate - Work rate should be divided into Attacking Work Rate and Defending Work Rate. Some players focus more on attacking (Ibrahimovic) and others focus more on defending (De Jong). Then you have players who excel in helping the attack and helping to defense (Schweinsteiger and De Rossi). If you seperate work rate into both of those categories, it can help you differentiate players (especially midfielders) when you go purchasing them. If you need a more defensive player in your midfield, then you go and buy one who works harder defending than attacking and vice-versa if you want a midfielder or a forward that helps attack more.

Strength - This should be seperated into Strength and Shot Power. It is one thing to have upper body strength and another thing to have strong legs. Players with upper body strength can push through the defense and not fall as easily when being held on to by other players, as well as challenge succesfuly for the ball in a header attempt. Shot power is when a player has powerful legs that they can blast the ball a long distance. Sure Long Shots exists as a attribute, but this attribute should be redefined similar to finishing, in the sense that its should be more about the accuracy your player has with his long balls then the strength.

Tackling - This issue is not that important. It could possibly be divided into Standing Tackle and Sliding Tackle. Some players may be better at one thing and others at something else. Then you have players who are good at both. This could help so that more offensive players who are good at sliding for the ball can in a way retrieve the ball upfront, instead of offensive players ending up with defensive skills that make him as good as a defender in winning balls.

What do people think about these ideas?

Passing:

Dont really see the point here. For me, its down to not only the Passing stat( accuracy), but also the Creativity ( the option he sees) and the Technique( what he is actially capable of) and his Decision ( when he should do what)

Can you name me one player that is really good in hitting long passes with accuracy and knows when to do it ( like Pirlo) but that is poor in putting short easie passes ?

Work rate:

Either he has it ir he does not, it does not matter where on the pitch he is. A Defender with a high stat i Work Rate does not work harder trying to attack. Work rate and Determination decides how hard and for how long in the game he will put in an effeort and follow his Defensive directives

Shooting Strength.

Here you could be on to something although its such a small issue. The players with high stats in strengths have in 99 % of the cases string legs to. Then, its all about technique and his longshot, finnshing stats. If a player with 20 in strength has 1 in Technique, he will be highly unlikely to be able to strike a ball with force as he will hit it at a poor angel, not getting the power behind the shot
Tackling

Here, its all about knowing when and how to time a sliding tackle. The better the stats and player, the better he will be in using his tackle. Decision, Anticipaion, Bravery, Agility, Acceleration in relation to his pace etc etc

Last edited:

Passing:

Dont really see the point here. For me, its down to not only the Passing stat( accuracy), but also the Creativity ( the option he sees) and the Technique( what he is actially capable of) and his Decision ( when he should do what)

Can you name me one player that is really good in hitting long passes with accuracy and knows when to do it ( like Pirlo) but that is poor in putting short easie passes ?

It's more for the other way around. Players who can do simple short passes very well but not be able to do long passes. Long passers will tend to always have good short passing skills

Work rate:

Either he has it ir he does not, it does not matter where on the pitch he is. A Defender with a high stat i Work Rate does not work harder trying to attack. Work rate and Determination decides how hard and for how long in the game he will put in an effeort and follow his Defensive directives

Some players are capable of backtracking and defending. Some players rather just stay up front and wait for the ball. This should be shown as an attribute rather than leaving it to the tactics themselves as this can also be attached to the player's behavior and personality in a way.

Shooting Strength.

Here you could be on to something although its such a small issue. The players with high stats in strengths have in 99 % of the cases string legs to. Then, its all about technique and his longshot, finnshing stats. If a player with 20 in strength has 1 in Technique, he will be highly unlikely to be able to strike a ball with force as he will hit it at a poor angel, not getting the power behind the shot

Technique should focus on other things like dribbling, free kicks, penalties, and heading. Long shots and shot strength should be something somewhat seperate. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Hulk have strong shot power and are good at long shots, but then you have players like Khedira and Barry who have strong shot power but aren't as good at long shots.

Tackling
Here, its all about knowing when and how to time a sliding tackle. The better the stats and player, the better he will be in using his tackle. Decision, Anticipaion, Bravery, Agility, Acceleration in relation to his pace etc etc
[/quote]

Some players are good at standing tackles more than sliding and vice versa. It would make a difference in knowing this when you plan on buying defensive midfielders, fullbacks/wingbacks, and central defenders.

I also added a attribute I forgot to put in the first place. Its about volleys.

I suspect the volley thing would come under flair.

surely some of this stuff is covered in PPM's like the tackling some say stay on feet or likes to slide in etc?

I think the Work Rate split would heavily effect the game. As the online manual mentions players with high work rate will work hard all game, this would effect roles like trequartistas and advanced playmakers. The other problem I imagine would come from the split is that players abilities to work effectively in the tactical roles.

The other thing to consider is that attributes link together anyway so if you consider tackling, Italian defenders (in real life) are generally taught to anticipate and intercept the ball rather than doing last ditch sliding tackles.

I don't know if FM takes this sort of thing in to account but a player with high anticipation, concentration and positioning is probably more likely to intercept the ball than slide tackle anyway (players more likely to slide tackle presumably would have higher bravery and aggression (aggression in FM is supposed to be more about a player being willing to be involved in incidents) so I guess the game probably takes this into account anyway).

It's more for the other way around. Players who can do simple short passes very well but not be able to do long pass. Long passers will tend to always have good short passing skills

That how it’s reflected in the game though.

Technique = what he can actually pull off
Creativity = what options he recognizes
Passing = the Accuracy
Decision = Knowing when to do what
A player in high stats in all these WILL put in better passes

Some players are capable of backtracking and defending. Some players rather just stay up front and wait for the ball. This should be shown as an attribute rather than leaving it to the tactics themselves as this can also be attached to the player's behavior and personality in a way.
Again, it’s already in the game. If he has high team work and work rate, he will be more likely to track back (if given these instructions). It does not matter if he is a defender or an attacker. Look at a player like Valencia, should he then have one stat for when he is playing like a Winger and one for when he is playing like a Fullback or Wingback? NO, he is still the same player and plays with lots of energy and WILL be more likely to track back

Technique should focus on other things like dribbling, free kicks, penalties, and heading. Long shots and shot strength should be something somewhat separate. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Hulk have strong shot power and are good at long shots, but then you have players like Khedira and Barry who have strong shot power but aren't as good at long shots.

So Technique should focus in everything you can do with your feet and head but actually hitting the ball?
I don’t really get what you are after since on every point, you are describing how it already works in the game. If a player has good longshot and technique, then he is likely to be able to hit them with power, especially if he has the treat/ppms, shoots with power etc.

Some players are good at standing tackles more than sliding and vice versa. It would make a difference in knowing this when you plan on buying defensive midfielders, fullbacks/wingbacks, and central defenders.

Again, it’s already there for you, you can. If a player has great agility, anticipation, strength, bravery and aggression along with decision, then he will be able to use his tackling stat better than if he has low stats in those mentioned. He will simply be more complete and able to pull off different kinds of tackles. Also, it’s about his treats/ppms.
If the same person has 1 in bravery aggression, then he won’t make that sliding tackle even though actually being good at it.
When looking for a player that has really poor anticipation and acceleration but just loves to throw himself into risky tackles, this player will gent sent off rather often

I also added an attribute I forgot to put in the first place. It’s about volleys.

Again, it’s down to

Technique = what he can actually pull off
Creativity = what options he recognizes
Passing/Finishing/Long shot/Crossing, depending on the aim = The Accuracy
Decision = Knowing when to do what