Tiki-Taka/Possession passing style football tactics for english non-league clubs?

tigertailz001

Reaction score
Tiki-Taka/Possession short passing style football tactics for English non-league clubs? ie Blue Square Bet North or South Leagues.Has anyone had any luck with playing this style of football at English non-league clubs?, I like to play like Barcelona/Arsenal/Swansea/Ajax/Athletic Bilbao style, and also like start at lower leagues because it's more real!. If you have what tactics did you use?. I've tired old tactics from FM12, I've found a successful one yet!. Also what team are you using?. What players have you found who can that style at level?. I've tried formation like 2-3-2-3-0, 4-2-3-1, 4-6-0 & 4-3-3, with very fluid or fluid/control short passing/high defensive line/pressing whole pitch/roaming position, more creative freedom or disciplined etc. Not sure if to play offside or counter attack, I try to use playmaker.

Last edited:
Its not the most effective style to use this year even if you have the right players IMO... Playing a High DF Line this year is suicide IRL if your DF isnt the quickest as long as they have good anticipation and positioning usually it fine well it doesnt work that way in the game or at least doesnt work like it should...
One thing Iv found that I find really funny is it didn matter how quick or how slow I played my team still managed 76% pass completion... Iv now got it to 80%+ for 9/10 games but its still not what I want or how I want to play... Iv built an very strong side and one that should be easily capable of playing possession football but with the way the ME is its difficult for it to work consistently... So I just play a control style that creates lots and lots of chances and I dont bother with possession because the game does some seriously strange things when I play 'keep the ball'... Its weird how different my players act if I want to retain possession and play smart passes I watched 5 full games playing possession and 5 playing my current style and the difference is incredible... When my team plays possession they pass themselves into trouble creating stupid problems, I end up with lower pass completion and possession than the more attacking style I currently use...

I play as Cordoba (they do have the players for it) I tried to use a possession tactic in my first season something similar to my old one from last year after the first 8 games I had only won 2 and games were not going well... I focused on possession at home but countering away... around Xmas I noticed home record was in the bottom half but I was top of the away record so I switched to counter for home and away and ended up winning the league...
For me theres too many ME issues to play possession Im sure there are instructions that will work but Im not willing to test it out now since I have a style that works and half does what I want it to do...

Hi CDXtreme, Thanks for advice, but how deep are you playing with defensive line?, also what's your formation & tactics are you using? or have you download a tactic?.

Hi CDXtreme, Thanks for advice, but how deep are you playing with defensive line?, also what's your formation & tactics are you using? or have you download a tactic?.

I play it on a normal DF line you'll see it below...
View attachment 289068

Thats the only way I can play without getting caught on counter after every attack... Maybe you will have better luck I did have a bried period where a highline worked but eventually teams just started launching over the top of my DF...
I use my own tactics but if I find something that works well for others I incorporate it into mine... My team is excellent on the ball and very creative so I could get away with playing very slow if I wanted but sometimes your guys get caught in possession... Possession tactics in general take awhile to tweak in order to get the best out of the team but this year I find the Match Engine is a little bit too inconsistent to work out some of the problems...

Il upload the shot of every position if you want?
Im going to have to work on another tactic to try and improve my style starting to have problems again I only seem to have problems once me team starts to blow sides apart (I start off good, then tweak it start to destroy sides and then Il get a shock result and start to have problems)... ATM my problem is teams are destroying me down the flanks which is frustrating because I play fairly wide as it is...

View attachment 289068

Thats the only way I can play without getting caught on counter after every attack... Maybe you will have better luck I did have a bried period where a highline worked but eventually teams just started launching over the top of my DF...
I use my own tactics but if I find something that works well for others I incorporate it into mine... My team is excellent on the ball and very creative so I could get away with playing very slow if I wanted but sometimes your guys get caught in possession... Possession tactics in general take awhile to tweak in order to get the best out of the team but this year I find the Match Engine is a little bit too inconsistent to work out some of the problems...

Im going to have to work on another tactic to try and improve my style starting to have problems again I only seem to have problems once me team starts to blow sides apart (I start off good, then tweak it start to destroy sides and then Il get a shock result and start to have problems)... ATM my problem is teams are destroying me down the flanks which is frustrating because I play fairly wide as it is...

What skin is that? nice background :)

View attachment 289068

Have you put your tactic in the tactics download section?

Tiki-Taka/Possession short passing style football tactics for English non-league clubs? ie Blue Square Bet North or South Leagues.Has anyone had any luck with playing this style of football at English non-league clubs?, I like to play like Barcelona/Arsenal/Swansea/Ajax/Athletic Bilbao style, and also like start at lower leagues because it's more real!. If you have what tactics did you use?. I've tired old tactics from FM12, I've found a successful one yet!. Also what team are you using?. What players have you found who can that style at level?. I've tried formation like 2-3-2-3-0, 4-2-3-1, 4-6-0 & 4-3-3, with very fluid or fluid/control short passing/high defensive line/pressing whole pitch/roaming position, more creative freedom or disciplined etc. Not sure if to play offside or counter attack, I try to use playmaker.
Is anyone else trying play this way at lower league level, and have they had any success?.

tried with Crystal Palace no success with short passing tactics, get caught out always and end up losing my Job...!

I haven't found the right formula yet!, but I've decided to use JP's simple 442 (13.1.3) tactic for FC Halifax in Blue Square Bet North division. When we are leading matches I'm using the shouts (Tiki-taka short passing possession style football) ie retain possession, play out of defence, work ball into box, pass to feet & play through defence etc also change style control or attacking depending opposition, home or away!. Team keeping possession very well, results unbeaten so far!, but very early to success?, only September won August Manager of the month!, top of the league looking good!.

I haven't found the right formula yet!, but I've decided to use JP's simple 442 (13.1.3) tactic for FC Halifax in Blue Square Bet North division. When we are leading matches I'm using the shouts (Tiki-taka short passing possession style football) ie retain possession, play out of defence, work ball into box, pass to feet & play through defence etc also change style control or attacking depending opposition, home or away!. Team keeping possession very well, results unbeaten so far!, but very early to success?, only September won August Manager of the month!, top of the league looking good!.
I haven't given up on trying to play to play tiki-taka football I'm also training them learn the other tactics in backup tactics, so when they learnt the tactics I will give it another go!. Hopefully I should get better results when trying to play that way.

@sdbrook i am using ebbsfleet (blue square prem) and play a short passing game with great effect. It is a 4-3-3 Rigid attacking style and against bigger teams i change to a control/standard approach depending. i also edit the player roles in my formation to suit the players i have at my disposal. i have made some great signing and loans which are helping me push for promotion. From what i have read above i had the same issue at the beginning playing the same possession base as i used with my liverpool save and had little success so i decided to change things up to suit my players and it seems i have found a good tactic that works well with the players at my disposal. i am currently 3rd and only 4 points away from macclesfield at the top who have a very strong squad for BSP. ebbsfleet prediction i think was a poultry 17th or 18th i think and i am performing above expectations. i believe the key to my success is not primarily the formation but its the player roles i have associated with the formation. take and in depth look into your squad and check out what roles they suit best, check out who is best at what position and then edit to style of your team instructions to how you want to play. i still use short passing, express more, press more etc but i believe that its the player roles that have been pivotal to my success. if you have any questions ask here or PM me. i would be happy to share my tactic if needed.

Would anyone like recommend their tactics that has worked playing at lower leagues trying to play tiki-tka style and the non-playing staff they brought in and playing staff as well?. And which team they are managing! in which division. It would be very appreciated if you could do so!, always looking change things around? and try new formations, tactics and style?.

I've found it's easier to set up the tactics & formation to a simple one that most team at lower leagues are use to?, and using the shouts to trying change style of play during!, it's definitely seems to working that way?. I've tried with FC Halifax in the Blue Square Bet North division & Runcorn Linnets in the North West Counties premier division, both clubs doing well using JP's simple 4-4-2. But still like to set up playing like F.C. Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao, AFC Ajax, Arsenal or Swansea City, but no luck playing that way so far?. Please give me your suggestions? or advice? on subject, how its working for you?. Please note don't tell me that you can't play that way at level, because that just being defeatist!, or give me tactics that only work with the top clubs in the World with the best players!. You just to look at clubs like Swansea City in early days in league one & F.C. Barcelona reserve team (F.C. Barcelona B), also under '19 team. They don't have best players, but they train them to play that way, and sign players at youth team and reserve team level who have potential attributes to aloud them to progress & learn how to play that style football!. Of course they also good coaches that teach & train the players!.

Take look at my new thread on FM13 Editing Discussion, called Creating English coaching revolution!. I'm testing theory!.

I've had some relative success with a tactic, it is still in its early stages though and is constantly evolving so I am not sure just how impressive it will actually be, I am using Eastbourne in the conference south, so far I have played 15 games (league and cup) have won 9 drawn 4 lost 2, you can see all the reults etc on my thread "Career mode - conference south"

Hi everyone, I'm using FMTM Possession Break tactic with Runcorn Linnets in North West Counties Premier Division. Started off with mixed bag of results, lots of possession but still conceding silly goals in first few matches, no one has stuffed me yet!. Ten matches in now getting better very game, tweaked it a bit gone little more attacking, moving up the league now!. Patience defiantly pay off now?. Still looking at the bigger picture, when can say attacking short passing possession is a success at this level?.

Hi everyone, I'm using FMTM Possession Break tactic with Runcorn Linnets in North West Counties Premier Division. Started off with mixed bag of results, lots of possession but still conceding silly goals in first few matches, no one has stuffed me yet!. Ten matches in now getting better very game, tweaked it a bit gone little more attacking, moving up the league now!. Patience defiantly pay off now?. Still looking at the bigger picture, when can say attacking short passing possession is a success at this level?.
Update on season so far go well?, keeping possession very well on average 65% - 70% per match, still prone to concede silly goals. It's February now top the league, still in two cup competitions out three!. P 40 W 22 D 14 L 4 F 49 A 17. I would give you some screenshots , but I don't know how to attach them to post, I tried wouldn't let me upload screenshots!. It looks like patience's is key to trying to play attacking short passing possession football (Spanish tiki-taka or Dutch total football) in lower leagues, if you lose ok but carry on playing the system, because it pays off in the end?.