Under-fire Nani goal ref backed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said he dived, I said if Clattenburg never gave it as a penalty he clearly saw it as a dive so Nani should have been booked..

Not everytime a player falls over in the box it has to be a dive or a foul.

Clattenburg should have at least blown for something. If he thought Nani has been tripped or pulled then it is a penalty but he did not. If he does not think its a penalty then the other solution is Nani dived but still there was no whistle. He then should of given a fee kick for the handball if the first two options were not good enough but still no whistle on that front. Even after consulting with his linesman who should of seen all the above. He should of used his whistle at some point during the incident and thats where he is at fault. Three times he should of blown but did not.

Last edited:
Wait what did he exactly get wrong here?

1. Ball played into box
2. Defender has 2 arms around Nani - Ref sees and feels that is not worth giving a penalty - there was contact but in his view and the only view that matters not worth a penalty - Ball is still live, it's play on. No whistle. Just because ther is contact doesn't mean its a foul. And alternately doesn't mean its a dive.
3. Gomes dicks around with the ball. Has time to hoof the ball but instead looks to ref waiting for a whistle. I counted to 10. Was there a Man Utd foul in the leadup? I didn't see one. So on what basis does he stop play?
4. Nani nicks ball and places ball in the corner of the net
5. Goal awarded

Spurs have nothing to whine about. The football gods smiled on Man Utd because they were robbed of a clear penalty when they should of been awarded one. Point 2 is the only contentious one. And even then he got it wrong in favour of the Spurs

Last edited:

1. Ball played into box
2. Defender has 2 arms around Nani - Ref sees and feels that is not worth giving a penalty - there was contact but in his view and the only view that matters not worth a penalty - Ball is still live, it's play on. No whistle. Just because ther is contact doesn't mean its a foul. And alternately doesn't mean its a dive.
3. Gomes dicks around with the ball. Has time to hoof the ball but instead looks to ref waiting for a whistle. Was there a Man Utd foul in the leadup? I didn't see one. So on what basis does he stop play?
5. Goal awarded

Between 2 and 3 Nani deliberately handled the ball mate, which is a booking and a free-kick, hence Gomes putting the ball down for a free-kick. Tbh I don't even know why I am debating this, it makes no difference to me whatsoever..

Well known to Spurs fans on two occasions now. The first being the Pedro Mendes goal that should have been given a few years back.

How the ref can be blamed for that I will never know....

Never said he dived, I said if Clattenburg never gave it as a penalty he clearly saw it as a dive so Nani should have been booked..

So every time a player goes down it's either a FK/pen or a dive?

1. Ball played into box
3. Gomes dicks around with the ball. Has time to hoof the ball but instead looks to ref waiting for a whistle. I counted to 10. Was there a Man Utd foul in the leadup? I didn't see one. So on what basis does he stop play?
5. Goal awarded

Spurs have nothing to whine about. The football gods smiled on Man Utd because they were robbed of a clear penalty when they should of been awarded one.

You missed a bit fat one in the middle where, after the decision goes against the penalty for Nani, he gropes the ball with all the subtly of a serial rapist.

So every time a player goes down it's either a FK/pen or a dive?

No. On this occasion it looked like a penalty to me though. Nani went down theatrically and handled the ball, to me, that's a free-kick to Spurs?

It all boils down to this:

Originally, a mistake was made by Clattenburg, either the decision not to award the penalty, or the decision not to award a free-kick for handball.

However, after this had passed, the fault lies with Gomes who assumed when he shouldn't have.

Either way. /Thread

We've been over this at length in other threads.

No. On this occasion it looked like a penalty to me though. Nani went down theatrically and handled the ball, to me, that's a free-kick to Spurs?

I agree it's a free kick to Spurs. But as the ref didn't blow the whislte, Gomes hasn't got a leg to stand on . He put the ball down in open play as there wasn' a whistle blown which is a schoolboy error. He only begins appealing for handball after the goal.

He's fouled and falls on the ball with his hand. You've got to be kidding if you think that's a foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.