Usmanov eyes Arsenal takeover

hamptonmanger

Reaction score
Alisher Usmanov is on the verge of triggering an automatic takeover for Arsenal as he contemplates increasing his stake in the club.

The Russian billionaire currently owns a 27% share of the Premier League club, while the present majority shareholder Stan Kroenkeowns 29.8 per cent.

Usmanov, though, is keen to acquire a further 2.9% stake, which would see him usurp the American Kroenke as the club's main shareholder.

A further 0.1% would be needed to activate a full takeover and that is a move the Uzbekistan-born metals and mining tycoon has refused to rule out.

Today, we have 27%. Our objective is to bring that up to a blocking state of 29.9%," Usmanov is quoted as saying on Russian state TV.

full link http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6606533,00.html

what are you thoughts on this? personally i hope it doesn't happen

he might try and force wenger to spend money
that would be a real shame:(
could stop the youth production line wengers got going
wilshere, gibbs, ramsey.....

it wouldn't really change anything due to these fair play rules unless he manages to clear our stadium debt (and incur the penalty charge from paying it off early) then the squad may improve but thats unlikely

I like the current setup, my view is, if it's not broke don't fix it. So yeah, I hope it doesn't happen.

It woundt change mcuh more money unless he sacks wenger and if he does im gunna ******* blow his head off

this has been brewing for months, apparently the rest of the board would prefer kroenke

this has been brewing for months, apparently the rest of the board would prefer kroenke

Indeed, both have been edging closer and closer. I wouldn't like either reaching that 30% mark.

Alisher,

**** off please.

Don't want Stan Kroenke either, it works the way it is and most of the board are reluctant anyway with Dein and Lady Bracewell-Smith out of the way.

Really hope it doesn't happen.
Love the club the way it is, don't want to become one with a rich-*** owner.

Really hope it doesn't happen.
Love the club the way it is, don't want to become one with a rich-*** owner.

You've basically gone through a long drought of silverware in order to keep costs down while you pay for the new library (;)) - will a new owner just want to move in to realise the profits or invest in the team over the long term? Would be grossly unfair if they did take the money out...

You've basically gone through a long drought of silverware in order to keep costs down while you pay for the new library (;)) - will a new owner just want to move in to realise the profits or invest in the team over the long term? Would be grossly unfair if they did take the money out...

thats the thing neither of them have made their attentions for the club clear out of the two i would take the American but like some said it ain't broke dont fix it

Indeed, both have been edging closer and closer. I wouldn't like either reaching that 30% mark.
ideally they want the status quo, but Kroenke is least hated option. I'm actually suprised it didnt happen over the summer

thats the thing neither of them have made their attentions for the club clear out of the two i would take the American but like some said it ain't broke dont fix it

Agree with you - the stasis currently provides stability of sorts. Especially so when the media were doing a witch-hunt on Wenger.

Weren't the initial fears that Kroenke was the one to watch out for if he made a bid, even though Ustanov is personally disliked by many of the current board?

ideally they want the status quo, but Kroenke is least hated option. I'm actually suprised it didnt happen over the summer

i believe it didn't happen in the summer because you buy the club at the price of the last share sold for the year which was very high at the time, i think thats why it didn't happen something along those lines.

at the start of the season lady bracwell put her 12% up for sale so it must of been the value of the shares

Keep it as it is please. As it stands, Arsenal don't win anything and aren't overly difficult to beat. Let's not change that. :)

Keep it as it is please. As it stands, Arsenal don't win anything and aren't overly difficult to beat. Let's not change that. :)

Says the spurs fan who hasnt won anything in even longer? :p
Anyway... im quite happy with how the club is won, and the Uefa/Fifa financial fair play rules that kickin in a copla years will masivly benefit Arsenal! Why would we need a billionaire owner when they happen? city better get their spending spree in first, becasue the new rules will put a stop to such things, leaving arsenal arguably the club best to thrive under the rules! Im happy with another copla years of 'just champions league group stages' finishing 3rd or 4th, until the club is debt free (2 years i think), then we can start winning things. I would rather a club not winning things, but competing, than see the club hit financial trouble and do a pompey...

Says the spurs fan who hasnt won anything in even longer? :p
Anyway... im quite happy with how the club is won, and the Uefa/Fifa financial fair play rules that kickin in a copla years will masivly benefit Arsenal! Why would we need a billionaire owner when they happen? city better get their spending spree in first, becasue the new rules will put a stop to such things, leaving arsenal arguably the club best to thrive under the rules! Im happy with another copla years of 'just champions league group stages' finishing 3rd or 4th, until the club is debt free (2 years i think), then we can start winning things. I would rather a club not winning things, but competing, than see the club hit financial trouble and do a pompey...

Your statement is incorrect. :)

at the start of the season lady bracwell put her 12% up for sale so it must of been the value of the shares

Even with the 12%, it's still not enough for one of the two to get to the point where they have control of the club - and if they go over the 29.9% ownership which triggers a takeover bid, and then fail in that bid, then they then have to sell off those shares to get back down to 29.9% meaning they'd take a huge loss as the price of the shares would plummet again.