What to do if you just can't win

If you put a solid simple working approach in, and can get success from man management and transfers you will go a long way. But not all the way. But the first sentence far too simplistic, because you don't delve in to what makes them good managers.

There are, and many people play the game and succeed in many different ways.

The bold is incorrect in the extreme. That's a seriously flawed misconception. If anything you are considerably worse off playing unrealistic gamey approaches.

Your frustration is misplaced too, because that's also an incorrect assumption.

To be honest, you have already decided that you cannot be at fault for what you are suffering, as a result, you're probably going to keep having the same issues. You
Couldn't disagree more with every single word you've said there. I've had problems with most FM's to be honest, 99% my own fault, the rest I can't explain. They may have been the fault of the game, they may not.

To be honest, you have already decided that FM cannot be at fault for what I'm suffering, as a result, I won't be troubling you for any more help.

Cheers for your input.

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots-Bill Shankley.

Amusing, considering Shankly popularised in Britain many tactical innovations like ball playing centre-backs, one-touch football, creating triangles and so on. Shankly was a tactician, he just didn't like to admit it. Harry Redknapp carries much of the same spirit.

Good managers would be good managers in any era.

Probably not true, and faintly ridiculous to even assume. One can only guess at how Brian Clough would get on in today's world, but I suspect it wouldn't be with anywhere near the same level of success.

the point I was trying to make was there are different styles of management and different routes to success. My frustration is that imo SI assume that tactics are the be all and end all, the result being tactics that aren't gamey enough won't succeed. Anyone into football who picks up FM13 for the first will get frustrated very quickly.

That's bollocks. You can definitely get away with being a mediocre tactician, it just helps if you're a good one. On the flip side, being the world's best tactician can't save you if your signings are all rubbish. You don't need to be good at every facet of the game to succeed by any stretch of the imagination.

I love how realistic it is this year, every year I've been waiting for it to become more realistic, I personally have a tactic for every situation my team are in for example no fit LB's or RB's so i have 3 CB's and 2 DM's acting as anchor man, may not exactly work all the time but when you're playing a weaker team then i often find it to work, also you HAVE to adapt your tactics for being either home or away, if you don't then you're foolish and need to re-think your strategy rather than blaming the game.

Like many others I'm having problems winning games and I am slowly getting used to being sacked :(

I have tried tinkering with my tactics to suit my opponents but so far no luck.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following.

• What to look for in scout reports?
  • What sort of tactical changes should I be making and how do I know what changes to make?

I know the changes will depend on what players I have and who I am playing but I was wondering if there is a general rule that will give me point to start from.

Just now I am Morecambe in the BSP with no money and limited players, but that could soon change if results don't improve.

Thanks

Ryan

Mate...All these guys here that say are fantastic with tactics etc...they are all using premier league teams or medium stats teams...With lower division team like Morecambe you will need more effort than tactics...and you will lose many many maaaany games...Or you can do what half of them do...use other peoples tactics with through passes-balls to the attackers and win win win...I personally don't like that...I find FM13 terrible for building up small teams. You will lose lose lose. I personally don't mind loosing but up to a point. FM13 goes over the edge...

Mate...All these guys here that say are fantastic with tactics etc...they are all using premier league teams or medium stats teams...With lower division team like Morecambe you will need more effort than tactics...and you will lose many many maaaany games...Or you can do what half of them do...use other peoples tactics with through passes-balls to the attackers and win win win...I personally don't like that...I find FM13 terrible for building up small teams. You will lose lose lose. I personally don't mind loosing but up to a point. FM13 goes over the edge...

This just isn't true either. Its all relative to the sides around you.

Of course it should be hard to bring a lower league side all the way up. FM isnt a game with a win button, taking a team from league 2 to the Prem should be hard. You go from promotion contenders to relegation candidates up promotion.

I find interesting that because you cannot do it, you seem to be sneering/questioning others who can.

Like many others I'm having problems winning games and I am slowly getting used to being sacked :(

I have tried tinkering with my tactics to suit my opponents but so far no luck.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following.

• What to look for in scout reports?
  • What sort of tactical changes should I be making and how do I know what changes to make?

I know the changes will depend on what players I have and who I am playing but I was wondering if there is a general rule that will give me point to start from.

Just now I am Morecambe in the BSP with no money and limited players, but that could soon change if results don't improve.

Thanks

Ryan

The starting point is how do you stack up relative to the rest of the sides in your league? Title challenger/promotion contender/mid table/relegation contender?

you HAVE to adapt your tactics for being either home or away, if you don't then you're foolish and need to re-think your strategy rather than blaming the game.

This isn't true.

I found a tactic that worked and kept it the same for 4 seasons with Southampton. The only change was slight tweak of the CM's (moving from a AMC-CM-CM triangle to a CM-CM-DM triangle).

Once I was happy with my team and the formation, these were my results

Season 1: 3rd
Season 2: 1st
Season 3: 1st
Season 4: 1st

If it works, it works. Home or away.

Thanks Mike.

This has given me a place to start from and I now have an idea of what I was doing wrong.

Will let you know how I get on

This isn't true.

I found a tactic that worked and kept it the same for 4 seasons with Southampton. The only change was slight tweak of the CM's (moving from a AMC-CM-CM triangle to a CM-CM-DM triangle).

Once I was happy with my team and the formation, these were my results

Season 1: 3rd
Season 2: 1st
Season 3: 1st
Season 4: 1st

If it works, it works. Home or away.

yes that may have happened by the AI will get used to the formations you decide to play very very quickly you need to adapt or tinker to the opponents style of play to get anything

yes that may have happened by the AI will get used to the formations you decide to play very very quickly you need to adapt or tinker to the opponents style of play to get anything

I respectfully disagree, I barely changed anything in 4 seasons.

Rather, I would rotate my squad to keep everyone's morale as high as possible and keep young players growing. My tactics, mentality and formation was consistent throughout. Occasional changes to mentality were used during the game, for example, to protect a lead against a strong opponent.

I think there is a level of over-complicating with FM13. You CAN still be successful with a strong team - the key is keeping them all happy to ensure they perform well.

yes i can see where you're coming from but you're still making adjustments every so often which is the key to keep the opponents guessing, if you didn't do that then they'll eventually find a way past you

I still don't understand why top quality 30+ year old CMs still don't find the time to pass and not shoot! Even when it's a ridiculous angle, I've set everyone to longshots rarely and work the ball into the box is active.

I still don't understand why top quality 30+ year old CMs still don't find the time to pass and not shoot! Even when it's a ridiculous angle, I've set everyone to longshots rarely and work the ball into the box is active.
Work the ball into the box isn't as effective as last year's edition. If you have a striker with good heading upfront(E.g Crouch, Giroud) then use the "Pump ball into box" instruction. If you have good passers in your team try the "Play through defence" instruction and the ball eventually works its way into the box.

I think people's opinions vary a lot based on what kind of club they normally manage. I always like taking a small part-time club and turning them into a powerhouse in the EPL over time. As you progress into better competition then you need to rethink your tactics, what works in BSB-N wont work that well in EPL, so always keep that in mind when thinking about your tactics. FM13 seems to be 'harder' because tactics and morale have more of an effect than in past years.

Since tactics aren't as important when your club is a monster, I think discussing the whole approach from an underdog perspective is far more useful. Here is my collection of random thoughts for dealing with a bad run, or just a ****/young/thrown-together squad.

In my experience I've found at lower levels counter attacking football with some speedy poachers works the best (usually :p). If you can get your hands on a player with their main strength listed as 'skillful' they'll probably be your best player. Fit, fast players with a direct passing style is good. CDs with good arial attributes are also important.

I'll adjust my formation to the payers I have, but I do like getting a pair of speedy wingbacks if possible. They just do so much for a team, and I normally combine that with 2 defensive CDs and at least 1 defensive DM (when I say defensive I mean pull that mentality slider all the way back). This generally restricts teams to attacking from the edges on a break, and hopefully your CDs are decent in the air to cut off a cross. If your CDs are pushing up too high and being run around or passed over, set the line deeper (obviously), it helps to check the opposing teams strikers speed and adjusting on game day.

I personally love having a good creative AMC with some flair. Trick passes are the most effective when its done playing a through pass into the box, and I love setting my AMC as my playmaker. I'll play wingers or wide midfielders if I have the players, but theres nothing wrong with 2ST, 1AMC and 2CM and setting the formation to wide. Wingbacks really help out if you have to play the front of the formation like this.

Sometimes I'll get a bad run and it keeps on going until I make a change to my approach. Sometimes its just getting morale up - a good team meeting and telling every player they need to step up their level of training normally helps a lot. Other times changing my formation will help (try to have real options with your 2nd and 3rd tactic), since opponents do play better against you when they know what you're going to do. Sometimes just yelling at players, handing out fines and even dropping them into the reserves for a few games will make them wake up.

Occasionaly I'll see a key injury for my opposition, so I'll have a look at who will probably be starting for them instead and declare them as the weak link in the media. I've had a DM give up a penalty (which won us the game) by getting in his head pre-game and him making an awful tackle against his own goal line. I've also had this backfire when calling out a starting striker and he rammed a hattrick down our throats. I just stick to doing this to backups and youngsters now.

Something I find a bit riskier is commenting on an opposition manager before a game. Sometimes I've managed to put pressure on the other team by talking about their relegation/promotion chances, but other times that has backfired and they've played above themselves. I haven't worked out a good stratergy for this yet, but it does seem to have an effect. It's probably linked to their man-management or perhaps the player's 'important match' rating, but I haven't looked at it too closely yet.

Playing at Home I find better success being a bit more attacking, I won't shy away from switching to overload if I'm down a goal with 20 mins left. I'll also rip into my players at half time if I need to. When playing away I focus on keeping possession and manage the game with the frame of mind that a draw is a victory. Telling my players they've been unlucky at halftime if we're down usually goes well, but I will get aggressive with the senior players who have been doing poorly.

Hopefully something in that will help someone out =)

fm 2013 is a game for professionals, not the common person in the street.

iam not mourinho,guardiola,etc
fm is a game
not real life

i got bored with fm2012 as you could buy lots of players over 48 months, buy the best players throw them on the pitch then win a treble/quadruple.
its meant 2 be a challenge

That's bollocks. You can definitely get away with being a mediocre tactician, it just helps if you're a good one. On the flip side, being the world's best tactician can't save you if your signings are all rubbish. You don't need to be good at every facet of the game to succeed by any stretch of the imagination.[/QUOTE]
Defo agree with this. I'm not a pro, but I do a lot of reading up on football tactics and am fascinated by them. FM is too simplistic for master tacticians. Not that I am one, far from it, but I have so many ideas that I want to implement in game but can't. The point I'm making is that the game is designed for mediocre tacticians. Just because someone has won more league titles than you doesn't mean they're a better manager than you, it just means they're better than you at the GAME! In the same way as people are better at COD. It doesn't mean they're in the SAS. The moderators and all other experienced FM players have developed a deep understanding of the ME and the games AI which they can counter.

I just had the worst start to a season that I've ever had after being promoted to league championship. I was sitting at 2-2-12 and firmly in the relegation zone and had tried everything I detailed above with nothing helping. I just managed to get a 3 game win streak which almost has me out of relegation contention, but I had to get a bit crazy.

Operating on a shoe-string budget I had to find some good players cheap! In my squad my goalie was struggling badly, and losing a game where I was up 3-0 just sent me crazy. I sacked him and used that wage room to sign an unknown russian goalie which was likely to get a work permit on appeal. In the mean time I used my under-18 goalie, but those 2 games were disasters defensively.

I also signed a good russian striker who I could play as a target man. Even though my current strikers should have been among the best on my team they were just so patchy getting goals, no matter what tactic I used.

The end result was an immediate improvement. I got 3 straight wins and was much tighter in defense and more consistent up front. My formation ended up with 2CDs, 2WBs, 2DMs, MC, AMC, 2STs with the WBs set to attack to help the ball up the ground and give wide options in attack, but overall its a pretty defensive set up.

So if things get really bad and nothing is working, try dropping players and replacing them with russians =) But seriously my squad should have had the talent to pick themselves up but they were terrible. Just get ruthless and follow through on the warnings and fines! Maybe thats why the rest of my squad picked themselves up.

Oh I also used the 'dont get complacent' halftime talks when I was up and most of them 'seemed to gain focus' with a couple unhappy. Plus I singled out bad performers. Winning is the best boost for morale and I'm not pulling punches anymore in team talks!

i use the editior to make my team better and put the best players at one team ( yeah i know i cheat so what ) but no matter whos in my team or what i do i will always lose to ****** **** teams e.g. wigan -.-'