jordalicious

Reaction score
As stated in the title, when do you sell off/release that youngster who will never play in your first team?

I'm having troubles deciding if i should extend some of their contracts in hope of getting more money for them later on, or if i should just get rid of the deadwood...

Ultimately, i don't want my youth/reserve squads getting too small :)

Last edited:
i typically wait till 19-21 if you know they wont ever make the first team

One year before you have to give them their major senior contract.

i manage a small club in a small country so the easiest way to make money is selling players
thats why i usually rack up a lot of talented players, usually strikers cuz they price goes up the easiest and loan them for 3 4 years or untill they accept being loaned out , then sell them,
sold kramaric like this for 10mil without ever playing him, or on the last FM managed a few 15-20 mil deals the same way

i manage a small club in a small country so the easiest way to make money is selling players
thats why i usually rack up a lot of talented players, usually strikers cuz they price goes up the easiest and loan them for 3 4 years or untill they accept being loaned out , then sell them,
sold kramaric like this for 10mil without ever playing him, or on the last FM managed a few 15-20 mil deals the same way
I agree, no matter what sort of club your are, when the new players come through, I only pick/keep players with 3&1/2 stars potential or above, this guarantees they will either reach my first team squad or be sold on for good money, I often tutor them until 18/19 then loan out for 2/3 and always put a buy on claus on the deals once they are able to play championship level or lower end prem, this way I can offload a few of the players that aren't quite going to make it, and my more promising players I try to send to top european clubs or at least those in european competition!

So the earliest I would consider selling a player is at 21/22.

I think once they take up a place in the 25 man squad and they are not good enough to feature, then it's time to get rid. Or if you know they will not be good enough based on their current progression you can get rid any time before they reach 21 :). Sometimes you have to hang on to a couple if you are short on home grown players, like in the Premier League for example.

I don't, because nobody will buy them this year... the transfer market is screwy.