Winning A Euro Cup With Celtic & Raising The Profile Of The Scottish Game

reillo

Reaction score
This is my first ever thread, and i want to discuss.... the possibility of winning a euro cup with Celtic (or rangers if thats the way you were dragged up). And inturn raising the profile of our beloved Scottish game which is at the moment like a dieing goldfish flapping about on the living room carpet gasping for air. Oh and cheating is not a option, no fannying about on data editors eithering. What success have you had so far in raising the spl game, and how far can it really go since fm11 should have much better dynamics regarding the evolution of a league/country. Whats your thoughts? Cheers

Havent played with Celtic on FM11. Created my own team and decided to start from the bottom. But I beleive it can be done tho could take a while.

I am currently trying to this with Hibs; the ultimate goal being to make Scotland the best league in the game. I (somehow) managed to win the league in my first season which coincided with a drop in league reputation from 3 to 2.5 stars, most likely because a team as poor as Hibs won the thing!

I won the Champions League with Celtic but the league reputation still dropped 11 places.... No idea how that's possible :S

Seems a bit bizzare if the league reputation is dropping after a scottish team winning champions league. The section in the game manual which fills us in on "whats new in fm 11"... claims that "Dynamic League Reputation" means that as a team performs better on a continental level so will the league they play in grow???? Aannddyy?... What kind of players are you attracting after winning champions league?

Seems a bit bizzare if the league reputation is dropping after a scottish team winning champions league. The section in the game manual which fills us in on "whats new in fm 11"... claims that "Dynamic League Reputation" means that as a team performs better on a continental level so will the league they play in grow???? Aannddyy?... What kind of players are you attracting after winning champions league?

Apparently the first season's rankings are always fixed. There's a big thing about it here:

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?p=2993492

I won the Champions League with Celtic but the league reputation still dropped 11 places.... No idea how that's possible :S

The league reputation at start of season is fixed because thats what happened IRL, Scottish teams don't do well in europe and our National team failing means we drop points on FIFA rankings where as other countrys teams are doing better and therfor gaining more points, The reputation doesn't go based on the season you have just played it goes on the season just before that so its like lying time, so if season 1 you win the CL your team wont gain the rep on the rankings till Season 3. Thats what I think anyway. :S

I think it's done similarly to the Uefa clubs coefficient -- it's based on the last 3 (I believe) seasons, so if teams did very badly in the 2 seasons before your CL win, you'll still drop. Another decent run or two should see that increase, however.

The league reputation at start of season is fixed because thats what happened IRL, Scottish teams don't do well in europe and our National team failing means we drop points on FIFA rankings where as other countrys teams are doing better and therfor gaining more points, The reputation doesn't go based on the season you have just played it goes on the season just before that so its like lying time, so if season 1 you win the CL your team wont gain the rep on the rankings till Season 3. Thats what I think anyway. :S

I think it's done similarly to the Uefa clubs coefficient -- it's based on the last 3 (I believe) seasons, so if teams did very badly in the 2 seasons before your CL win, you'll still drop. Another decent run or two should see that increase, however.

That makes sense a suppose..... a guess its gonna take quite a bit of game time before we really see how much they have improved the dynamics and how far the rep is capable of growing. a mean, is it possible that eventually players like messi/ronaldo etc will be keen to move to the spl?

I've basically threw out all of Celtic's starting players and created a new team. Won 2 champions cup, first season I was lucky people barca had messi and villa injured in finals. Actually, it was like that all the way from quarter to finals. My second season was much better and I beat barca semi and liverpool final. Was lucky on barca again when messi got injured 2nd game. it was a 2-3 aggregate win for me. I got really scared when I lost a 2-0 lead because Loovens screwed up twice in 3 minutes. Liverpool was just hilarious, all I did was close down on their key passers and tightmarked their goal scorers. They could not score on me at all and I won in penalty.

Oops to answer your question, it depends on how all the other teams in Scotland does. When I won the Champions Cup second season the Premier League actually dropped in reputation and it was because the other teams were knocked out really early.

I've basically threw out all of Celtic's starting players and created a new team. Won 2 champions cup, first season I was lucky people barca had messi and villa injured in finals. Actually, it was like that all the way from quarter to finals. My second season was much better and I beat barca semi and liverpool final. Was lucky on barca again when messi got injured 2nd game. it was a 2-3 aggregate win for me. I got really scared when I lost a 2-0 lead because Loovens screwed up twice in 3 minutes. Liverpool was just hilarious, all I did was close down on their key passers and tightmarked their goal scorers. They could not score on me at all and I won in penalty.

Oops to answer your question, it depends on how all the other teams in Scotland does. When I won the Champions Cup second season the Premier League actually dropped in reputation and it was because the other teams were knocked out really early.

I am not wanting to suggest you have cheated mate.... but how the **** have you managed to win the champions league with celtic in your first two seasons..... surely thats just impossible without intervention????

I am not wanting to suggest you have cheated mate.... but how the **** have you managed to win the champions league with celtic in your first two seasons..... surely thats just impossible without intervention????

Oh sorry, I posted that really late at night. I meant 2nd and 3rd. My first season I lost in semi-finals against barca. Came back 2nd season to win finals against barca. 3rd season beat barca in quarter and won against OL in finals. I've been really lucky, there were always injuries or bans of key players during my matches.

I've cheated before BUT only when I do something stupid as in start a match without having opponent instructions and realizing way later (by pressing space too fast). This happened to me twice, once against OL and another against Werber. But it's also knowing the teams, I've always and only played Celtics. This is how I play Celtics:

1. Throw out low potential high value young players i.e Slane (I learned this from past games)
2. Leave enough players for subbing and injuries. I kept Ledley and Mulgrew because they can play a lot of positions.
3. Decide on a tactic and stick to it for the rest of your career (This will determine the make-up of your team for the rest of the game. For this game I chose Goals Galore 4-5-1 with my own tweaks)
4. Buy one or two young strikers depending on tactics. I chose 4-5-1 because I would only need 2 strikers. I went with Vadlec and Samaras. Could not get Lukaku because when I made a bid so did R. Madrid.
5. Rehaul the entire staff beginning with the assistant manager, get rid of scouts except for John Parks as they are not necessary and a extra wage baggage. I go for a assistant manager with high tactics/disc/man management

I mean these are just some general things I do, there are more specific things. If you doubt me fine, but if you have questions ask.

Last edited:
Just finished my 1st season with celtic yesterday, and i got to 1/4 finals of CL . I had Macheda on loan from man utd who was my only signing aswell who turned it on in the CL but not so much in the SPL. still managed to pump that mob though.

Yeah a had Macheda on loan first season adn boyata too... both of them were well above the level of player in the current team, I did however regretfully not put a future fee clause on the deal and lost out on signing them to bigger teams.... Back to the drawing board for season 2. Oh and Juarez is fecking immense so far..... All sorts of teams sniffing about him.

Sorry but im sceptical that you could win 2 champions leagues in a row with Celtic so soon. There is not 1 CL quality player in their starting squad. Not loosing for 2 seasons in a row seems highly unlikely without cheating and is not guaranteed even if you play with Barca.

i am basing this on previous versions as I am about to start 2011 but if it is possible its obviously too easy in this game. If the game is anywhere near hard enough it should take at least 5 years however, good you are to get Celtic to that standard. |In previous versions it becomes very easy after 10 years as there are not many good autogenerated players and you can have more or less a monopoly on these but at least it started off reasonably hard.

Just won a second title in a row with Hibs, but the best news is that Celtic managed to get through the Best Placed Qualifiers meaning Scotland now have two teams in the Group Stages of the Champion's League. Hopefully Rangers can do well in the Europa as well. Now I just have to concentrate on not getting hockeyed in the CL like last season.

I've had 2 seasons with Celtic. Won 2 Champions Leagues, Scottish Cup, SLC, and the league both times, so done 2 quadruples, also won world club championship and cup winners starting 3rd season now :)

Yeah a had Macheda on loan first season adn boyata too... both of them were well above the level of player in the current team, I did however regretfully not put a future fee clause on the deal and lost out on signing them to bigger teams.... Back to the drawing board for season 2. Oh and Juarez is fecking immense so far..... All sorts of teams sniffing about him.

Sold Juarez for 15 mil 3rd season. Juarez has above standard mental attributes but average everything else. I replaced him with two regens.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Sorry but im sceptical that you could win 2 champions leagues in a row with Celtic so soon. There is not 1 CL quality player in their starting squad. Not loosing for 2 seasons in a row seems highly unlikely without cheating and is not guaranteed even if you play with Barca.

i am basing this on previous versions as I am about to start 2011 but if it is possible its obviously too easy in this game. If the game is anywhere near hard enough it should take at least 5 years however, good you are to get Celtic to that standard. |In previous versions it becomes very easy after 10 years as there are not many good autogenerated players and you can have more or less a monopoly on these but at least it started off reasonably hard.

There aren't any start CL players that's why I buy them. I buy young players first season and have them play first team. I also ask the board for transfer as often as I can (I've noticed they are more prone to agree when you play the rival card). CL is not that competitive, once you have a decent first team it's hard to lose. I usually lose due to complacency issues. Then again the average age of my team is 22. In a few seasons I will be unbeatable.

My philosophy for Celtics goes along like this: first get a fast striker or a good targetman, get a really good winger, place a big guy on opposite side. Through balls and crosses are lethal like this. I worry about defense later, as in CL what Celtic has is already decent. In the champions league just find out the type of game each teams play. That and luck will let you go a long way.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

Oh here's my best regen so far. Second season regen. My third season doesn't have anything even close.
AlexWallace.png

I've had 2 seasons with Celtic. Won 2 Champions Leagues, Scottish Cup, SLC, and the league both times, so done 2 quadruples, also won world club championship and cup winners starting 3rd season now :)

WTF mate..... You must be cheating, thats just insane????

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Sold Juarez for 15 mil 3rd season. Juarez has above standard mental attributes but average everything else. I replaced him with two regens.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

There aren't any start CL players that's why I buy them. I buy young players first season and have them play first team. I also ask the board for transfer as often as I can (I've noticed they are more prone to agree when you play the rival card). CL is not that competitive, once you have a decent first team it's hard to lose. I usually lose due to complacency issues. Then again the average age of my team is 22. In a few seasons I will be unbeatable.

My philosophy for Celtics goes along like this: first get a fast striker or a good targetman, get a really good winger, place a big guy on opposite side. Through balls and crosses are lethal like this. I worry about defense later, as in CL what Celtic has is already decent. In the champions league just find out the type of game each teams play. That and luck will let you go a long way.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

Oh here's my best regen so far. Second season regen. My third season doesn't have anything even close.
AlexWallace.png

CL Isn't that competitive..... What game are you playing...... Am I missing something here..... The champions League is the hardest competiton to win, especially with Celtic..... Does anyone else find these claims of breezing to back to back champions league titles in the intial seasons with Celtic completely insane?????