XBOX 360 - 'Open Tray' Disk Error

CJ

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought i'd ask for some help and opinions, as Recently I have been getting the 'Open Disk' error when you put a disk into your XBOX. This is when the disk is in there but the XBOX cannot read it.

It's really bugging me and I've tried a lot of solutions from youtube etc. and was wondoring if anyone who has had this before could help me and give me a solution that might of worked for them.

I just got a cheap arcade from gumtree when it happened to my old Xbox

I think (was about 3 years ago) I sent it to microsoft and it was temporarily fixed but then it came back again.

You just gotta keep opening and closing, check your disk, it may be cracked.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but i always get a message saying 'Disc is unreadable' and it says restart the Colsole or Clean the disc lately..

Is that what you're getting?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but i always get a message saying 'Disc is unreadable' and it says restart the Colsole or Clean the disc lately..

Is that what you're getting?

Nah, its just when I put the disk in, it says 'Open Tray' and it acts as if the disk isn't in there, apparently its when the Laser inside the XBOX goes faulty or something :S

Really don't want to have to buy another console, especially with FIFA 11 coming up :'(

Oh I feel you're pain my friend :'( I had this problem a while back now. I also tried several youtube solutions....none of which actually worked !!!

A bit of advice I can give is to just keep opening/closing the tray, it will HOPEFULLY eventually read the game..... Once it reads the disc save it to you're harddrive. After I had done this my XBOX worked like new for about 2/3 days afterwards, until it eventually bust again.
Luckily my mate was selling an XBOX and I managed to blag him to sell it me for £40.

Hope this at least gives you a couple of days gaming mate;)

I'd go with tiraths advice and buy an arcade console. They should be quite cheap now

I used to do console repair for a video games company, the lasers do tend to burn out after a while depending on usage and on which model the actual console is, the launch models are horrendous for errors as you probably already know... There is no real quick fix for this unless your willing to open up the console and void the warranty and open up the Disc drive. If you're willing to do that then I'd be happy to go into detail about it.

I have also had this problem since around about november last year. I just have to keep opening and closing the tray untill the disc eventually works after about 20 minutes :(. My console is also out of warrant and i cant justify spending 68 pounds for a repair when the problem is likely to soon return. Maybe it is time to buy another one

ive had it i got ****** off so i press power button loads of times and it works perfect now just keep opening and closing disk tray.

Yeah, I dont see how the laser has burnt out tbh, as less then a year ago i had a new console when i sent it into repair. Surely it shouldn't have byurnt out this quickly as my old xbox previously had no such problems :S

Yeah, I dont see how the laser has burnt out tbh, as less then a year ago i had a new console when i sent it into repair. Surely it shouldn't have byurnt out this quickly as my old xbox previously had no such problems :S

you have to remember, that the xbox 360 is very very prone to malfunction, so it could well be the laser.

XBOX's are ****, I had this problem and had to buy a new one.

CJ Yeah, I dont see how the laser has burnt out tbh, as less then a year ago i had a new console when i sent it into repair. Surely it shouldn't have byurnt out this quickly as my old xbox previously had no such problems :S

From what I remember there's a way to finding out which motherboard you have by looking at the made in China sticker on the rear of the console..Somewhere it should state the voltage or power:
16.5 = Xenon or Zephyr
14.? = Falcon
12.1 = Jasper

I have a Jasper now which I consider the most reliable not counting the new slim model as I haven't used one of them but it's never had an issue, I did have a Xenon which just refused to work after 6 months, but all the other models are prone to RROD or laser issues at some point.