Your most Underrated and Overrated Player and Manager?

Reaction score
Who is your most Underrated and Overated Player and Manager

I'm just interested...
For me:
Underrated: Ramires, he doesn't stop running and his chip Vs Barcelona.. :wub::wub::wub:

Overrated: Neymar, he hasn't played in a 'big' league yet people think he is one of the best players in the world.

Underrated: Tony Pulis, he has taken Stoke from the championship to a solid premier league team. Who cares how they play because Stoke are over-achieving.

Overrated: Mark Hughes for not doing anything notable in his managerial career yet manages to get top jobs?

Controversial I know but I think Rooney is overated as a striker.
I'm a utd fan, so it's not like I'm hating on him, he's a brilliant footballer so no need for people to jump down my throat but ive always thought he was a midfielder and he has recently said he will drop to midfield in his later playing days.
He was devastating in his early utd days, coming from deep, I rarely see him take a player on these days.
And yea I know know he adds many aspects to the game when he is on the pitch, and his positional play has improved but I think now RVP Is here we will see how good a world class striker is.
Still and will always be a quality player his champions league debut was something I'll never forget as with the Newcastle goal and overhead kick against City!
I'm also not sure he will overhaul England's goals record either as he has not lived up to our considerable hype surrounding him.

Controversial I know but I think Rooney is overated as a striker.
I'm a utd fan, so it's not like I'm hating on him, he's a brilliant footballer so no need for people to jump down my throat but ive always thought he was a midfielder and he has recently said he will drop to midfield in his later playing days.
He was devastating in his early utd days, coming from deep, I rarely see him take a player on these days.
And yea I know know he adds many aspects to the game when he is on the pitch, and his positional play has improved but I think now RVP Is here we will see how good a world class striker is.
Still and will always be a quality player his champions league debut was something I'll never forget as with the Newcastle goal and overhead kick against City!
I'm also not sure he will overhaul England's goals record either as he has not lived up to our considerable hype surrounding him.

I was going to choose Rooney as well but Neymar is shockingly overrated in my opinion

Underated Player: Taarabt - admitidly i have only seen him play 15 or so times but everytime he looks a class above the rest of his team.

Overated Player: Ramsey - just not the same since the legs :(

the managers i would say that maybe AVB is overated i mean spurs really?

Give neymar a chance at a big team, and after a few years, he's still young.
I'm totally with you tho, glimpses of quality but people saying he's as good as messi is way off the mark.
He has a great record at santos, in a country renound for producing quality attackers and dodgy defenders so it's only natural he would score slot in that league.

Avb very overrated!!
Had a fantastic season at porto got hyped up and well we all know what he's done since then.....

Taarabt was like messi in the championship, doing kick ups over players heads and volleying it in, but I've not seen him do much in the prem??
also doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to get you out of a hole when it's pouring down and your losing 2-0 to Stoke.
Just my opinion and unlike you I haven't seen much of him apart from highlights and the odd match.

I agree Neymar could become a legend but he either has to perform for brazil at the Wc or move to Europe and shine. Its a tad harsh surely to comment on avb I think when he hasn't even had a full season in charge in the pl but I still hate him. He should have known about the Chelsea players s he worked there but instead he seemed cold and mean dropping our key players.

Ramsey is a shame but I agree he has looked sluggish since his injury

Ramsey is a funny one, a lot of people have said he is poor, others good! Shame, as when he left us he was going to be a top, top player. Also, I think him having to be the main Arsenal midfielder last year so young and so soon really hampered him, especially as it was a complete different role which I saw him at Cardiff, a years loan at Fulham would have been ideal, I still hold out hope for him!

Overrated Player - Luiz Suarez, no doubt he has so much talent but my god cannot finish for ****.

Underrated Player - Frank ******* Lampard!!!! How the **** this man is still questioned just beggers belief.

Overrated Manager - Harry Redknapp, everywhere he goes gets destroyed.

Underrated Manager - Tony Pulis, plays the way which suits his side and is slated because of it. Its still football isn't it!!!

How is Lampard underrated when 90% of fans/media think the sun shines out of his ****? There's a reason we've persisted with trying to fit him and Gerrard into an England side for a decade.

Lampard underrated? XD now that is a good one

Overrated player: Pepe Reina. Hasn't been at his best for a long, long time now, and is becoming a liability. Special mentions go to Adam Johnson and Aaron Ramsey.

Underrated player: (EDIT: CARRICK OBVIOUSLY IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE I SAY) I would say Baines, but everyone rates him now, so I reckon it's a tossup between Nigel Reo-Coker and Leon Osman, both of whom are great at what they do. Also, Brana Ivanovic, and perhaps soon Karim El Ahmadi.

Overrated manager: Mark Hughes. Hasn't done anything of note, ever.

Underrated manager: David Moyes, and perhaps even Steve Clarke.

Last edited:
Overrated player: Pepe Reina. Hasn't been at his best for a long, long time now, and is becoming a liability. Special mentions go to Adam Johnson and Aaron Ramsey.

Underrated player: (EDIT: CARRICK OBVIOUSLY IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE I SAY) I would say Baines, but everyone rates him now, so I reckon it's a tossup between Nigel Reo-Coker and Leon Osman, both of whom are great at what they do. Also, Brana Ivanovic, and perhaps soon Karim El Ahmadi.

Overrated manager: Mark Hughes. Hasn't done anything of note, ever.

Underrated manager: David Moyes, and perhaps even Steve Clarke.

Really think Sir David of Moyes is underrated? Heard absolutely loads of people on tv and radio singing his praises with his managerial abilities

Underrated - Odemwingie , James McCarthy, Steven Fletcher

Overrated - Aaron Ramsey & Henderson

Overrated Manager - Mark Hughes

Overrated player(s): Aaron Ramsey, Pepe Reina, Anderson, Hulk...

Overrated manager: Hughes. He just throws money at any and all problems in hopes they get fixed by some magical power.

Underrated player(s): Well, I think we've got a fair few at Everton, like Hibbert or Osman, but I'm going to pick one that will certainly raise an eyebrow or two... Darron Gibson. I was the first to slate him some time ago, and I was more than critical of his arrival, but he's been key since joining. Another masterstroke by Moyes, if I may say so.

Underrated manager: Tony Pulis. It ain't pretty, it ain't easy on the eye, but it sure is effective. And there's no better proof of it than the now widespread use of the phrase "a cold, rainy night at Stoke". Keep hoofin' it up son.

Really think Sir David of Moyes is underrated? Heard absolutely loads of people on tv and radio singing his praises with his managerial abilities

Thing is, I honestly don't hear THAT much, not for what he's working with and the near-miracles he's actually worked. Perhaps relegate him to second behind Clarke, but he's up there alright.

Thing is, I honestly don't hear THAT much, not for what he's working with and the near-miracles he's actually worked. Perhaps relegate him to second behind Clarke, but he's up there alright.

Hm. Interesting.

Right my 2 cents worth.

Overrated player: Stewart Downing.
Overrated manager: Again, Hughes.
Underrated manager: Tough one. But Pulis for me. Cemented Stoke into an established Premier League side, been to a cup final. It ain't pretty-but boy is the style effective. Though again clarke deserves a mention-and maybe Pardew
Underrated player: Tony Hibbert. Faithful servant, does his job efficiently and quietly and an excellent season last time round imo. Was close call between him and Ossie though

Last edited:
Overrated player: Stewart Downing.

Hang on, if you pull me up on Moyes I reckon I'm justified in pulling you up on Stewart Downing, a player who everyone agrees has been at best totally ineffective for over a year now. :p

Hang on, if you pull me up on Moyes I reckon I'm justified in pulling you up on Stewart Downing, a player who everyone agrees has been at best totally ineffective for over a year now. :p

True. But I'm absolutely knackered and can't think of anyone else. Was tempted to put in someone like Gareth Barry or....someone but too knackered to look up any stats etc lol. May change it once i get some proper kip ;)