Youth Players - Management and Scouting Discussion

addug

Reaction score
I'm playing as Liverpool, currently in August 2019. Been very strong in the Premiership from 2013 onwards. I've focused on youth from the very start, made sure all facilities are at their very best, built a 29 man quality scouting network and so on.

After the first season I've generally only had a handful of players over the age of 25 (currently 5, Ademilson, Samuel Umtiti, Lorenzo Crisetig, Jonjo Shelvey, obscure Mexican back up GK). As a result I've generally had an average age of below 23, so there's always been plenty of opportunities for first team football. I currently have first team squad of 30, average age of 21.78. All of the senior squad are 2.5* CA or above, with the exception of 8 young players who I'm trying to focus on developing.

My reserve squad is about 30 man as well, all of them are 2* CA or below, and on the development list to be loaned out.

Basically looking for tips on the best way to try and maximise youth players potential. Obviously fixed or potential PA is a massive factor which in the context of regens can't be analysed, so just looking for your experiences and ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does overplaying youth have a detrimental effect on their ability to reach PA?

If a 5* PA player is only 2 - 2.5* at age 23, are likely to ever reach their 4+ potential?

How great an effect have you found tutoring has?

What is the best way to train a play to reach natural status in a different position?

I have a lot of ideas and questions on this, just hoping to get some different perspectives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a breakdown of my senior squad:

View attachment 302604View attachment 302605View attachment 302606

Last edited:
I've found tutoring to have a big effect, especially on the mental attributes of the younger player! And you have to seriously over play a young player to have a detrimental effect I think, as long as they don't get jaded or in need of a rest you should be fine!

Just my opinions though mate!:)

I've found tutoring to have a big effect, especially on the mental attributes of the younger player! And you have to seriously over play a young player to have a detrimental effect I think, as long as they don't get jaded or in need of a rest you should be fine!

Just my opinions though mate!:)

I think that might be somewhere I'm lacking then, when I don't have anywhere near enough players over 23 to tutor the ones under haha, probably ought to look to get some 30+ experiences pros for a year to tutor the younger players! One example that confuses me though is Wallace, signed him when he was 18, played 35-50 games a season but only ever made it to 2.5-3* CA, is that potentially too many games? I have other example but mostly regens, but I know his PA is -8 so seems weird he never really progressed.

Cheers :)

Yeah they look to be, I'm not sure if maybe I just don't understand the role of coaches well enough. What are the most important attributes for developing youth?

mainly 'working with youngsters', I would say though, just because a player doesn't have 5 stars doesn't mean they aren't good, I hardly ever pay attention to the star rating, I just search for the type of player I want, with youth players I try and get as many attributes over 10 as I can at the age of say 17-18, sign them and give them as many cup and un-important first team matches as I can!

Iv'e seen plenty of good scouts give a player I know to be brilliant a 3-4 star rating!

determination, motivating, judging player potential and level of discipline as well as workibg with youngsters for your coach

mainly 'working with youngsters', I would say though, just because a player doesn't have 5 stars doesn't mean they aren't good, I hardly ever pay attention to the star rating, I just search for the type of player I want, with youth players I try and get as many attributes over 10 as I can at the age of say 17-18, sign them and give them as many cup and un-important first team matches as I can!

I've seen plenty of good scouts give a player I know to be brilliant a 3-4 star rating!

I must admit I've not generally done it that way, will have a look around with those sort of parameters now! I'm trying to cut down my squad a little now, largely reserve players (aged 20 - 22) who I don't think will ever be up to it, but also some players where I just have too many in one position and don't want to see them just stagnate.

determination, motivating, judging player potential and level of discipline as well as workibg with youngsters for your coach

Cheers mate, will have a look around for some world class coaches who are strong on those!