AndySams10

Reaction score
An Englishman's Adventure...

View attachment 277095

After spending many a night up late reading the fantastic stories on FM Base, whilst the wife slept next to me, one story got me thinking about my future career path. The more and more I read about 'Rafaelle D'Aniello - Building a Legacy' by Safc-mad-scotty, it dawned on me that I hold the minimum coaching qualifications to coach abroad.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have my own coaching company, I've just been appointed manager of a semi-professional team and I have a great life here in Hampshire with my lovely wife, but the thought of building my own managerial legacy, was a risk that I feel would be to tempting not to explore further.
The next morning, accompanied with some toast and orange juice, I began searching the vacant manager jobs in and around Europe that could possibly lead to me being invited for an interview.

Before I go on, I'm fully aware that you need the Pro License to be able to manage in the Premier League and UEFA competitions, but as this is a story and of course you can be manager of teams on FM'15 with less qualifications, I've tweaked a few things to help make the story as realistic as possible, so hopefully you all will enjoy my journey.

Okay, so with the list of vacant manager jobs on my laptop screen, I began to carefully pick and choose the clubs I was going to enquire about an interview.
The great thing about world football is no matter where you are or what team and league you follow, there will always be a football season that has already got underway. And this was the case where the most vacancies were, in a country that was just reaching halfway through it's domestic campaign and though nearly all the teams I hadn't heard of before, that's where wikipedia comes in handy, I knew if I could get my foot in the door for an interview, it could be the nation where I could begin the start of a new chapter in my life.

So without further ado and armed with my National C license(based on FM'15's coaching badges) and semi-professional playing reputation, my wife and I jumped in the waiting taxi and headed towards the airport for the start of my managerial adventure...

Due to a crash dump and issues with my laptop, I was unable to continue my previous stories as I couldn't load them up. Hopefully now those issues are resolved and I can begin a new story without any inconveniences.

View attachment 277084

July 2014

Enskede IK appoint unknown Englishman

Swedish Second Division side Enskede IK have appointed thirty-three year old Andy Samuels as the clubs new manager, which will see him take over from Hakan Andersson.

Following Enskede IK's dismal run of form, which has seen the title favorites fall nine points behind current leaders Nacka, the clubs board have moved swiftly to appoint Samuels, who despite only holding a National C license, is tasked with getting the Stockholm based side promotion to the First Division from the remaining twelve games left.

With an opportunity to begin his managerial career in Sweden, Samuels was understandably excited about his appointment. "It's becoming increasingly difficult for young coaches to get a break in the English game, so I had to look at working abroad to try and get my chance and I'm delighted to be given the opportunity to work here in Sweden. Hopefully I can be a success and it leads to other opportunities for me later in my career. "

View attachment 277050

View attachment 277040

JULY 2014

Enskede IK

CENTENARY YEAR:

View attachment 277036

FACILITIES:

View attachment 277033View attachment 277032

SQUAD OVERVIEW:

View attachment 277026

MANAGER'S VIEWS:

" After looking at the squad, I feel we have enough quality to challenge for promotion and after over seeing a couple of days training, there's a few lads who I expect to play a big part in our push to get promoted.

View attachment 277025

I'm expecting Mattias to play a big part in my defensive shape and will be looking for him to be an integral part of my future plans.

View attachment 277024View attachment 277023

Both Ivan and Haris will bring some experience to my starting eleven and like Mattias, they will be key to any success that I'm looking to bring here.

View attachment 277021

In any side you want a goal scorer and I have high hopes that young Christoffer will be our top marksman in front of goal and fire us to glory, while developing into a very good player. "

Last edited:
View attachment 276969

JULY 2014

MATCHES:

View attachment 276968

A brilliant month as we won our three league games, plus a nice victory in the 1st round of the cup ensured we remained unbeaten during July. Christoffer Hansebjer has been in prolific goal scoring form as he bagged four goals in as many games. It's not just Christoffer who's been performing well, Haris Laitinen has been just as important, with his three goals and four assists playing a big part too.

LEAGUE TABLE:

View attachment 276965

Thanks to our superb victories and with Nacka dropping five points from their games, we've closed the gap at the top to just three points and with only two months remaining of the season, it's vital we keep our feet on the ground, but make sure we keep performing on a consistent basis so we are in with a chance of winning the league.

Fantastic start to the career with 4 wins from 4 mate. Looking forward to seeing if you can overtake Nacka and get promoted in your first season...

Fantastic start to the career with 4 wins from 4 mate. Looking forward to seeing if you can overtake Nacka and get promoted in your first season...

Cheers mate, I'm hoping so too. Really appreciate your continuing support. Thank you. :)

View attachment 276605

AUGUST 2014

MATCHES:

View attachment 276602

Another unbeaten month as we begin to start playing the type of football I'm looking to develop here and throughout my career. We've looked superb in both attacking and defensive areas, scoring 15 goals and conceding just 5 in the league. The only loss we encountered was in the 2nd round of the cup, though it was my first defeat, it was a good test against a team that's in the higher division that we are hoping to be in next season.

LEAGUE TABLE:

View attachment 276601

Our draws against Eskilstuna City and FC Linkoping City have allowed Nacka to draw level on points with us, after we had opened up a lead at the top of the table. With games coming up against Nacka and Rynninge, our title dreams will come down to how well we do against both the teams vying for for promotion.

TRANSFER NEWS:

View attachment 276598

I've brought in Niko Granberg on loan from Djurgarden on a season loan and he'***** the ground running, scoring two goals in four games and three assists.

View attachment 276472

SEPTEMBER 2014

MATCHES:

View attachment 276470

We made it hard work for ourselves during September, as we only picked up 7 points from the 12 available. Luckily four of those points were the win against Nacka and a point versus Rynninge, which meant we won the league on goal difference and gain promotion to the First Division.

LEAGUE TABLE:

View attachment 276469

CHAMPIONS!!!

OTHER NEWS:

View attachment 276468

The fans' player of the year went to Patrik Stahl, who's performances since I took over have been superb. He's been very consistent each game and played a big part in us getting promoted.

View attachment 276467

Enskede Best Eleven - 2014

View attachment 276464

After his fine displays on loan last season, I've re-signed Niko Granberg for another season and hope to see more of the same from him against better opposition.

View attachment 276343

February 2015

SAMUELS JOINS GEFLE IF

Gefle IF have today confirmed the appointment of Andy Samuels as their new manager. Samuels has joined the Swedish First Division Elite side from Enskede IK, after both clubs agreed a compensation package in the region of 20k.

View attachment 276341

Having led Enskede IK to the Second Division title last year, Samuels clearly felt the time was right to move on and will now look to see if he can return Gefle If back to the top flight at the first time of asking, following their relegation. Despite a step up in quality as he prepares for only his second season as a manager, Samuels was in a buoyant mood. " I'm an ambitious person, so when Gefle made their interest known I was very flattered to be linked with the job. The opportunity to further my managerial career at this level wasn't one I could turn down and I hope the Enskede fans will understand. After looking at the current squad and staff here, I'll be looking to make some changes, as we look to return to the Allsvenskan at the first attempt. "

After finishing bottom of the Allsvenskan, Samuels will have his work cut out to improve squad morale, as a number of players have already made it clear they are unhappy and could be looking to move on. Whether the young rookie manager has the qualities to improve the squad harmony will remain to be seen.

Nice to see you making an early jump after an impressive first season, you think you can get Gefle promoted straight back into the top tier?

View attachment 276336

FEBRUARY 2015

Gefle IF

FACILITIES:

View attachment 276335View attachment 276334

As has been mentioned already, joining Gefle IF is a huge step up from what I was used to at Enskede IK, We are due to move back into our stadium following some expansion work that took place before I joined.

STAFF:

View attachment 276332

With the club finishing bottom last season, I've decided to release some of the previous backroom staff and bring in some experienced staff who will hopefully play a big part in any success we will have. Anders Limpar has been brought in as my new assistant manager, Stefan Schwarz has been appointed as my tactical coach and Ronny Rosenthal will be our new scout.

SQUAD:

View attachment 276330

Unfortunately most of my key players are unhappy, due to the club being relegated. A couple have already asked to leave and while I've reluctantly agreed, I'll only sell for a price I feel will allow me to strengthen the position they'll vacate. Despite the low morale in the squad, I don't feel I need to strengthen too many areas, so long as I can keep hold of most players, but with some money to spend I will look to add two or three players to help us achieve our target.

View attachment 276325

Having a top keeper is vital and Emil will be key for us this season.

View attachment 276322

Jens is one of the players that has already expressed a desire to leave the club and while I've declined the bids so far, it's caused some unrest from a few other players. Hopefully he'll wait a little longer and see what changes I've made and see if I can change his mind.

View attachment 276321

Another player looking to leave us and again I've agreed to sell Robin, but only if the interested clubs pay the 500k asking price I've set. With a high price tag, I hope it'll deter clubs from making bids, as Robin is our best player and someone who I want to keep hold of.

View attachment 276320

I'm looking to Johan to be our main goal scoring threat, though how long he'll be here I don't know, as he's another player who's got a slight concern about our relegation.

TRANSFER NEWS:

View attachment 276318

Only days after taking charge, I received a bid for our striker Dioh Williams and after receiving some feedback from my scouts, I felt it best to accept a bid of 250k from Videoton.

Nice to see you making an early jump after an impressive first season, you think you can get Gefle promoted straight back into the top tier?

Yeah hopefully mate. I've got some money to spend and have a few young targets that I hope to sign and add to the quality I've currently got. Then it'll be down to if I can keep the unhappy players.

View attachment 275867

MARCH 2015

SAMUELS FACING PLAYER UNREST

Only a few weeks into his reign at Gefle IF and manager Andy Samuels is facing a player crisis with up to six first team players reportedly asking to leave the club following their relegation from the Swedish top flight.

" It's not ideal if I'm honest, especially as I'd hope to have a settled squad by now, but until any bids come in for the players, I'll have to try and keep their minds focused on doing what they are paid for here with us. " A frustrated Samuels commented.

With bids turned down for key midfielders Anders Baath and Robin Nilsson from Luzern and AIK respectively, Samuels has clearly set his stall out, that no players will leave unless an acceptable bid comes in.
One player that has left the club is former captain Anders Wikstrom, who has joined Rosenborg for a fee of around 35k.Despite the future of some of his players, the new Gefle manager has strengthened his side by bringing in no fewer than four players. First through the door at Gavlehov, was Dionatan Teixeira who joins on loan for the season from Stoke City.

View attachment 275849

Following the big centre backs signing, was another central defender, with former Dortmund reserve team player Christoph Zimmerman joining for 17.5k. Samuels hasn't stopped there, as Real Madrid back up forward Eero Markkanen also signs for 15k, as a replacement for Dioh Williams who left the club last month.

View attachment 275839
View attachment 275837

Last of the arrivals was hot prospect Tibor Cica, as the young Croatian joins for 28k from FC Hollviken.

View attachment 275831

View attachment 275826

MARCH 2015

PRE-SEASON:

MATCHES:

View attachment 275818

I joined with the club having already begun their pre-season and though we didn't win either of the two games, it gave me a good chance to get to know my players and who was up for the challenge that lies ahead.
The Swedish cup allowed me to begin to work with a regular squad and give a couple of the new signings a chance to gel within the team. And I couldn't of been happier with our performances in the opening two games, scoring ten goals and conceding just three. Unfortunately we were brought back down to earth with a bump, as we were defeated in the last game of the group stage by Atvidaberg, though it didn't matter as we finished top of the group and qualify for the next stage.

View attachment 275817

OTHER NEWS:

View attachment 275816

We've actually moved into a new stadium, rather than having work done to our previous ground, which is a nice surprise.

View attachment 275815

The bookies have given us a 14-1 chance of winning the league, which is third favourites and if I manage to get the whole squad pulling together I fancy our chances to come very close to promotion.

Brilliant mate! Well done on gaining promotion in your first managerial season and all the best with Gefle!

I had Eero Markkanen at Notts County! He was brilliant! Hope he bags plenty of goals for you mate!