Ask UNCLE MAD (UNCLE MAD'S BOX OF CHOCCY'S)

Nice idea for a save

If you want a nice save that will be a bit of a challenge and is in a league thats a bit off the beaten track try: LANUS in Argentina.

Nice league, nice international cup. Predicted to finish 5th, has a nice huge squad full of class players, youngsters with potential and sellable players to maintain at least 2 seasons before you start raking the cash. And cash is king with this save as, like most South American teams Lanus is not rich (doesnt have a loan though) and yet you are given 20m tranny kitty (plus vert comfy wages) which is HUGE for Argentina. So your option is to spend all/most of that in putting together (the basis of) a brilliant squad or to conserve due to the financial situation. I opted for the former and brought to the club:

Mammana - cb (wonderkid from River)
Tagliafico lb
Gino Peruzzi
Eder Alvarez Balanta (as soon as I bought him he chose Argentinean citizenship so my quota of 4 foreigners is not affected by him)
Kranevitter
Gaston Gil Romero
Humam Tariq
Savitskyi
Stracqualursi - awesome free player (for this league or generally I dont know)

With such purchases and the squad thats already there (sold 2/3 players for nice fees as well) you dont really need to buy in January or even the second season plus there's LOADS of players out on loan some of whom look sellable at decent prices.

Im in end of October leading the stands by a point and REALLY enjoying it.

Wrote a whole thread about this but the site lost it! And I couldn't find a "small question" thread for 15.

Anyway, trying to unsettle Oscampos second season, I've bid under his value to do this as he has only 18 months on contract left. Now he is unhappy and wants to join me but it says PSG major interest yet mine is only minor.

Its odd because I have said in the press I want him and i've been bidding. Any tips on making sure he doesn't sign a new contract at Monaco / gets more tempted by the PSG interest?

Wrote a whole thread about this but the site lost it! And I couldn't find a "small question" thread for 15.

Anyway, trying to unsettle Oscampos second season, I've bid under his value to do this as he has only 18 months on contract left. Now he is unhappy and wants to join me but it says PSG major interest yet mine is only minor.

Its odd because I have said in the press I want him and i've been bidding. Any tips on making sure he doesn't sign a new contract at Monaco / gets more tempted by the PSG interest?

If you have him in your shortlist, it should notify you when Ocampos gets a new contract offered (or if his agent likes to laud his clients, not sure which caused it);; At that point of time, just offer a bid for him, something substantial. Generally, teams accept offers to players whom they themselves are offering a new contract (provided they aren't key players). If your bid is accepted, well and good, make a nice offer to get him. If it isn't, then your bid gets rejecting, possibly unsettling him further if he wants a move, leading him to reject the contract extension. But otherwise, there isn't much you can do with regards to competing with the parent club.

As for PSG, again, nothing much, game doesn't allow that much flexibility yet. You'll get notified if any offer has been made/accepted for Ocampos. Make a similar offer, and if accepted, offer a good contract, some bonuses he'll find tough to get (Top Goal Scorer in League, Team of the Year etc - max it out);; Some clauses which won't happen (Relegation Release clause - lower than his value, Payment for specified goals - 30 goals per season), and grease the agent. Otherwise, you'll for sure lose out to PSG.

A bit more about tactics

The simplest way to tactics (either downloaded ones and tweaked to suit your squad etc / ones you make yourself) is:

1. Have a basic idea of how you want to play (be realistic - no tiki taka with Crew Alexandra in the first season for example). We all love footy and have watched it all our lives. Think about what you like to see and what works in real life and try to implement it - eg having a slow cb like J Terry man mark C Ronaldo in real life is a recepe for disaster. Same in FM - so dont have slow defenders on man mark - or if you re Chelski on FM and your other 3 defs are ok pace wise and you want to use man mark you could try giving only terry zonal (but then dont play with off side trap as he'll always play people on, etc).

2. Time and again I see people coming on this site frustrated with FM / asking for tactical help/ wondering what they do wrong, and when they post their tactics they are allover the place.

There are loads of good blogs etc on tactics so read around at least for the basics - high defence line goes with offside trap and sweeper keeper etc. But I said the "simplest" way so here goes: Balance. You should have people doing different stuff per "line" ie: dont have all defenders defend (eg have at least one fb/wb on automatic or even attack), in a 4 man mf you should have at least one player defending. Balance means that the other 3 are: one attacking one defending one supporting (plus the other on defending/attacking/supporting/auto).

Also try to have your forwards doing different things. Its ok having both on attack (as long as the def and esp mf set up has enuff support potential to them) but dont give them the same roles! For example in a 3 man attack with a Treq/Target man up top and two IFs, having all three on attack is not balanced. A nice idea is the TM on attack the left IF on attack with a fb on auto behind him and the right IF on support with a wb on attack behind him.

3. Defence is not just for your defenders. Its about occupying and controlling space especially the middle of the park (literally). That is why the most effective (and nicest to look at in action) tactics are the strikerless ones - losing the attacker(s) means that you have extra players where it really counts (in the middle of the park).

4. FM Blogs I say above. There's loads - google Shrewnaldo/The FM Veteran which is an awesome blog that can start you off, and on it there's links to about 10 more which also have links to others ...... Passion4fm is also a great blog as is True Football Manager. Even blogs on past versions of the game are a treasure trove.

5. The ME is not broken. The game is not fixed against you or predetermined. If stuff is not working then its surely something you are (not) doing. With this in mind and with patience you will deffo have a better time with FM.

A guide about pre-season

INTRODUCTION

The first day at your new club is perhaps the most important day of your career (and every first day of a new pre-season is the most important day of that season).

There are a number of things that you absolutely MUST do if you don't want to have various problems later on. Most people find them boring as it delays the "real" action (buying and selling players and playing matches) for quite some time (takes me between half an hour and 1.5 hours).

But if you dont do them or if you dont do them properly you will suffer the consequences (delayed learning of tactics/no cohesion etc). But dont worry, if you do them once they become second nature and, I dare say it, enjoyable.

It would be helpful if you arm yourself with a couple of A4 size pieces of paper and a pen at the start of every pre-season ...

GAME START DATE

Aim to have as long a pre- season as possible. When choosing leagues bear in mind their start dates. To show you what I mean by an example say I start a save with GENK and Belgium game start date is July; I would then choose game to start in a different country with an earlier season start (eg Germany) so as to have it start in June and have an extra month of preparation.

Before the start of every new season you will get a message asking when you want pre-season to start. Choose early but also look for balance (give your players a reasonable holiday!).

NEW MANAGERS GET TO KNOW YOUR CLUB!

1. Look at your squads: decide

(a) who are your best players for every position,
(b) who are the up and coming youngsters, and
(c) who are the players you dont need.

Look in your reserve and other squads carefully as there usually are good players hidden there who for whatever reason are (wrongly) transfer listed by the previous regime.

A good tip to make your life easier in a club you know little about is to categorise players by value (press the relevant button in the squad screen) as value is a good starting indicator as to ability.

Take one of the A4 papers and carefully space out every position of your tactic (using dots on it for every position). Then put the players you will be keeping in the position you will be playing them hierarchically - eg in a club where Strandberg/Andia/Milosevic/Okore are your cbs decide the two pairs (Strandberg/Milosevic and Okore/Andia) and put them there. Thats your rotated cb pairs there for you and thats your cbs there for you. This should also tell you that you need another one cb (maybe promote one from youth ranks/loan one in) for when matches will be coming thick and fast.

2. Look to have two players per position plus an extra player apart from GKs where two are enough. This is especially true if you are a top team in a major league as you should be going after all possible trophies so you ll have to play more matches.

3. If you list the players you will be using from the existing squad on the A4 paper as above you will have a very concrete indication of what you need to buy- this will avoid mindless adrenaline rushes of buying for the sake of buying which will ultimately hurt your team cohesion and team spirit (cos people will start complaining about game time).

4. Team cohesion is important and very difficult to establish. If you bring in more than 3/4 players every summer and 1/2 in January then prepare for performances not to reflect squad strength for a pretty long time.

As a new manager you need to use
pre season to get acquainted withyour new club, in addition to building up your players fitness levels.

When managing a new club you need to analyse the squads strengths and weaknesses (as above), set up your three formations, and schedule training to aid player development.

ARRANGE FRIENDLIES

Dont let the assistant do it! Do it yourself. If you are a poor team try to arrange friendlies away against better opponents but don't overdo it as another target during pre season is to build up morale and you cant really do that if you get your *** whupped repeatedly. Start with "easy" teams to build up morale and have the better teams in the middle of your schedule. Always arrange the last friendly against a team you know you ll whup the *** off again for morale. Arrange as many friendlies aspossible (max 4/5 days between each).

By playing matches the players will both improve their knowledge of your tactics and their individual match fitness. The individual players match fitness will also be improved by assigning players to heavy physical training.

By arranging multiple friendly matches, you increase your players"comfort" with your tactics quicker AND give them match fitness which affects their performances. Rotate your players. But rotate cleverly - dont rotate both first choice cbs at the same time rotate only one, dont put a newbie gk behind two cbs that are new to club/young/not first choice etc ... (this is also my advice about rotating in season btw and remember its better to give a youngster league time with a risk of a draw/loss than put loads of youngsters -not heeding my above advice in your starting lineup in Cup matches- with the potential certainty of failing to progress).

LOOK AT FINANCES
Look at your team's balance and sources of income. If the income sources are limited but you have a "big" transfer kitty (eg for Argentinian teams something in the region of 3m) so that your income can barely sustain that this means that if you spend it all you will be given (next to) nothing the next season. Spend wisely and what is left put in wages for two reasons: board will be happy with your control over wages and apparently you will be getting interest on the (bigger) difference.

Last edited:
Pre-season part deux

General Training and Match Training

Dont forget to schedule training on the first day on a new save and if its an ongoing one do so right after your last match!

My advice of what to schedule is in the earlier post about avoiding injuries.

Staff

Look at them from the training page and see who is below par. Give them mutual termination (doing it first day means they' ll leave for less). Then go to staff screen and clear the deadwood looking at that.

Make a note on your other piece of A4 paper what training categories you need staff for and how many coaches. Go to staff transfer centre and start looking. Make note of who you offer jobs to in order to avoid getting more experts for a category than you need. Aim to have coaches with as many stars as you can and the indication of light workload. Look also at their personalities as this will be a factor influencing your regens. Once I get the best I can, if I have a free coaching position I search for somebody with 20 or near it for motivating, I bring him in and have him train EVERY category. Dunno if it works but it seems reasonable (note:
passion4fm blog has helpful downloadable filters to find the best staff).

Once you complete your squad (and WHEN YOU FINISH PRE SEASON FOR NEW PLAYERS/IN THE FIRST SEASON) you then assign individual training. Have all players individually training positions which train most of the attributes you want improved for the season (unless somebody has a very low attribute for his position which sticks out where you will assign that particular attribute). In the following seasons you can look at individual attributes. Every 3/4 months go back to this and monitor player improvement. Look also at what PPMs you want to teach/unteach and schedule them as well. Tutor pairings should also be addressed at this stage and monitored through the season.

Another piece of advice is to train your younger players esp to be comfortable in more than one position as this gives you flexibility and saves money in the long term.

Once the season starts you should aim to gradually set the intensity to low and once you are done with tactics/cohesion you should assign something else as GT. Most people have it on Balanced. That is one option I use. I alternatively train ball control and attacking interchangeably (cos I like the attributes they deal with eg possession) and only train balanced one week per month. I also look at opponents and how Im doing (I will occasionally train attack or defence for example).

MT should be opponent - orientated. An example that brings the two together: Im Bologna and scheduled to play Bayern in the second round (knock out) CL who are much stronger. If I have first match away Ill train GT Defence and MT Attacking set pieces cos I want to grab an away goal. If I then win or get a score draw for the return leg I train Defence and Defend Set pieces.

The slider should be less match training - 1 day match training. With rest after match only.

Set the Tactics

The orthodox way to do it is to look at your players and use a tactic to suit them (eg no wingers in the team? dont set a 442). Thats all fine and dandy but thats not what I do. I have a couple of tactics that I know work peachily and always set them and have a third to experiment with/play reactively with).

Be varied - I often see people who have eg 442 defend 442 attack and 442 counter to use depending on opponent. That to my mind is wrong. You should have a similar tactical/team instruction basis running through all three tactics as much as possible but the formations should be different. For example a wider one (eg a 451), a narrower one (eg a 41212) and eg one with 3 cbs. You could achieve this by having wingbacks instead of fbs in the first two. This will come in handy when you read the scout reports of opponents and particularly the tactics faced part and you notice that a particular opponent doesnt like a narrow formation. It may be a different narrow formation from the one your players know but believe me your narrow formation will usually work almost equally well.

Note: have the board set expectations of attacking /possession football? Use at least one tactic aimed at that.

Setting up scouting network/looking for Transfer targets

1. Import any shortlists into the game.

2. Have a look at the transfer/loan market.

3. If you are in an alien league to you eg Uruguay look at each team of similar/lowerlevel from the league table page. Press the value tab as its a good startingindicator and if you like what you see scout player and take it from there. Do the same with analogous reputation leagues (eg Chile).

4. Assign scouts to find transfer targets - but always relative to where you are and what you need. Eg it would be pointless at Penarol to scout European leagues as nobody of note would deign to join you.

5. Dont suffer from the obsession that all FMers apparently suffer from! ie dont always look only for youth! Look for players who will win you money/trophies/reputation asap (and these are not necessarily youngsters). As always balance is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Bit more on tactics

Here Ill try to expound a little more on ideas mentioned in previous posts.

In order to ensure that goals will be scored in FM, as in real life, what is necessary is variation in attacking threats.

Width is crucial. This is not to say that narrow formations/settings are not effective, but the ability to stretch the width of opponents means that space will be found in the middle. So try to combine width with exploit the middle maybe (or do it with roles and instructions: eg am + run from deep/shoot often). By stretching teams wide, especially with overlaps, it becomes much easier to separate centre backs from full backs, as the wider defenders spread out; this means that there is space in the channels and in the box for midfield runners and strikers to exploit. If the opposition defence choose not to spread, they then sacrifice the wings and give you the chance to cross the ball.

Try to have vertical depth in your attacks. Players with "inbuilt instructions" to eg Run From Deep Often, such as Poachers and Attacking Wingers push the opposition defensive line back whereas playmakers tend to engage opposition midfielders and pull them out; a good combination can really open up the space in midfield and mean that you only have one line of the opposition to beat rather than two solid banks.

A nice way to put it all together is by using a high pressing aggressive set up that keeps pushing the opposition players back and doesnt leave them time on the ball. But see the value of having pace all through your team as indicated in previous posts.

Time and again I see people on this site and elsewhere greatly limiting themselves by setting up tactics only having one line/outlet of attack that they rely on. The problem with this is that it relies on that one line performing to its full potential; thus if the opposition block it off or your player does not perform well, any attacking potential is completely wiped out. Therefore, it is essential that you add lots of little lines of attack that can add variation. Also try having a number of options on the bench that are completely different to the players who are already on the pitch, and ensure that you can attack through a number of different players and styles.

Suggestions:

1. Use a poacher up front and a deep lying playmaker in midfield with your best player in attacking midfield - he will find lots of space.

2. Use a winger on one wing, and an inside forward on the other - this gives you two different attacking threats even if the winger has support duty.

3. Where you use an inside forward, use a wing back or attacking full back on the same side - they will overlap and add width.

4. Situate your best creative players near your fastest players and best finishers - they will have good passing lines.

5. Use a creative striker when you are only using one forward, and surround them with runners from midfield - they will receive passes and get in behind as they are tough to mark.

6. When attacking players have Run From Deep Rarely, allow a midfielder nearby to attack from deep and penetrate the line.

7. If you have a creative winger set him up to be your playmaker (on the wing).

8. Use combinations ensuring ball retention - eg: dlp (defend) in front of defence + ap (support) in mf + an am with the proper instructions for ball holding.

9. Try set up with one cf (dlf support) with two oncoming ams behind him (eg one a shadow striker the other an am) on attack

10. Use asymmetrical formations even if its by only moving one player: eg in 442 move left mf up a bit and make him a winger support/if attack. This stretches/confuses the opposition.

And a word on defending:

Use defensive triangles: three players forming a narrow triangle, the tip of which is closest to the ball, and looks to force the ball-carrier opposing player to pass the ball away from the triangle, seeing as he can't run through it, and then quickly adjust shape to force them wide until they're forced onto the touchline where they're closed down, or they try to dribble through and are dispossessed.

Easiest way to make a triangle is by two cbs and a dm. Or in the AMC role with two midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, allowing teams to funnel counter-attacks wide earlier and close down high up the pitch this way against players who don't have a chance at playing a pass or dribbling through them. Or in the non flat 451 with the dm and the two cms. The latter two are very difficult to work in fm ...

Smells like team spirit

An team which isn't cohesive is not a team, its a group of individuals. If you watch the game on Full or Comprehensive, as you ought to, you will see passes that don't go straight to feet, or first touches that are slightly delayed or wayward. At its worst, a lack of team cohesion will see your pass completion ratio plummet, runs go unnoticed and movement being completely senseless, all of which will undermine the success of your tactic (and MAKE YOU THINK THE ME IS BROKEN WHEN ITS NOT!!!).

The most obvious form of team spirit is how well the team is blended, and this depends on a combination of things:

1. Time spent together

This is the most obvious one and it is probably one of the reasons that in real life Barcelona have dominated football for the last few years. Most of their squad has come from La Masia. If players spend so many years with one another, they' re much more likely to know their role in the team and how to complement each other, and this is paramount to playing good football.

2. Languages spoken

If a player speaks a different language to the rest of the team, it severely damages his ability to play well and link up well; the impact is lessened if he is a less creative role where synchronisation is less important, but it is there nonetheless. It takes over a year for a player to fully learn a language, but less if you have a player of the same nationality who can speak both languages. Remember that South American and African countries tend to be former colonies and players from these countries will speak one of the major European languages, which is one less thing to worry about (Brazilians speak Portuguese, Argentinians Spanish, Ivory Coast French etc).

3. Personalities

Again all of the Barcelona squad have a broadly similar personality. There's no-one really in their squad, or in any successful team, who has a personality out of kilter with the team ethos (see also Man Utd till Moyes came in and did his best to destroy us or the **** under Wenger).

If you are patient you can change personalities and breed this ethos into players from your youth team by using stuff like tutoring etc.

4. Favoured personnel

The highest level of blending a team can achieve on FM is ?willing to die for each other? and this should be the ultimateteam building aim for managers. You want your players like one another as this will prevent disagreements and help them to link up more often and with better quality. There are obvious team cohesion/blending/spirit advantages to having players who like and appreciate one another as friends.

How to encourage blending:

1. Watch matches closely, look at player stats etc and see who is not blended.

2. Only play one or two unblended/new players at a time to slowly blend them into the squad and allow them to feel their way around your style. This will reduce their negative impact and allow you to grind out some results in the early stages of a season. This is slow but means you' ll be able to keep the board's and fans' confidence and get some decent form going. See previous post about avoiding second season syndrome for more on this.

3. Expect unblended/ new players to suffer in form till they blend. Dont be quickly disappointed or lose faith. Talk to them and utilise the option "I know you havent been scoring recently but I have faith you ll get through it" or similar. Throw them straight in the deep end and let them fight through for form. But not more than 1/2 per starting XI. This will be the quickest way of blending them into the squad, as they will get used to playing with one another, your existing players, and your tactics, but you will most probably get some badresults unless you try to do as per my post on second season syndrome. In my career as an FMer I very rarely if ever experience second season syndrome following exactly the advice Im giving you.

At the same time be the boss!

1. Dont let upset players call the shots.
2. Dont allow players to leave for any other reason than because you dont need/want them any more.
3. Do not give in to transfer requests.

Remember that in a team with most players on excellent morale you can afford to have 1/2 with bad morale because they ve fallen out with you. Keep playing the rebels and dont budge. Sooner or later they will kiss and make up (and while upset they'll keep playing for the team despite themselves - I lost count of the times players on red morale played well for me/scored crucial goals etc).

Last edited:
Winning possession/keeping possession

passion4fm is DA MAN for you. Go to his blog and particularly:

How to win Possession - Adapting The Match Tactic | Passion for Football Manager

How to eliminate threat with Opposition Instructions | Passion for Football Manager

Though written for FM13 the ideas are still valid and the articles are very helpful.

Keeping possession/possession tactics:

Make sure you have ball holding duty players -eg: one ball playing cb/a dlp (df)/a bwm and an ap in the am position. If you do this even if your overall team tactics/instructions are not particularly possession minded (eg high pressing+/hassling+/getting stuck in+/more direct+/pass into space you ll still end up with high ball possession.

Pre- season (and the value of planning ahead)

This post should be read in the light of what I say above about avoiding "second season syndrome".

Your targets in pre season should be:

-To get your FITNESS levels up.
-To get TACTIC familiarity to acceptable levels (if not to full)
-TEAM COHESION (absolutely crucial if you have more than two new players)

Concurrently to the above you need to increase MORALE.

Morale

Having players with high morale is crucial for success in FM15 and its a really good idea to get it as high as possible straight away. To achieve this as soon as possible make sure you play friendlies mostly against extremely weaker opposition. You want the team to score a lot of goals. You can set up a couple of friendlies against more difficult teams but do it in the "middle" of your schedules and ensure you have at least 2 friendlies against much weaker opponents till the season starts.

Fitness

Every player at the club must be match fit before the season starts. If not then the risk of picking up injuries or little niggles from games is increased. Also by getting everyone match fit it means you can throw them into the first team should you suffer injuries/suspensions early on in the season and don't have to worry that they aren't fit. It also becomes easier to maintain throughout the season.

Tactic Familiarity

This is the most important thing to concentrate on. The sooner it is fluid the better because it means your tactic will play better and the players are used to every aspect of it. You can get tactic familiarity fluid before the start of the first game of the season (or near it) if you plan properly. Set up around 12 friendlies (mostly as above vs weaker teams). Dont forget that against weaker teams you can play some of your youths without any fear. But you should always put out a side to win and win emphatically. So a match every 3/4 days.

Set match training to tactics and general training to cohesion. If you go to training camps then while these are on you gain tactic familiarity/fitness a lot quicker.

Therefore:

• Set up around 10/12 friendlies.
  • Signing new players will reduce tactic familiarity, so the more signings you make the longer time you need to become fluid.
  • You must set the scheduling bar in the training section all the way to the left so its set on 50%. That is where its 50% and not at the end of the bar.
  • When you've set up the friendlies check on the training calendar to make sure you have at least two training days before each match.
  • V IMPORTANT: Choose as early as possible pre season starting date (see previous posts on this)

Team Cohesion

Have all your squads training the same tactics always. That way if you ve promoted players from your youth/reserves team into the first team they will already have tactical awareness.

If you bought more than two/three players especially who speak various languages then you should focus on this heavily as the general focus from the third week onwards (so from third week onwards training should be general team cohesion, match tactics - but see previous posts). It helps them settle into the team quickly and get an understanding.

Friendlies

As above (and see previous posts)

Last edited:
have to say this, this is a great thread. Nice work. Very helpful and well written.

Yeah mate great thread, very helpful.

Consider myself to have a decent knowledge of the game but always check uncle mads choccy box whenever there is a new post for great ideas & new perspectives. Love it!

Got to love Uncle Mad's Box of Choccy's. It's the first thing I click on, keep it up mate.

Got to love Uncle Mad's Box of Choccy's. It's the first thing I click on, keep it up mate.

Your (dirty) UCLE MAD loves you all too.

So LOLOLOL!:

Against All Odds
Mediawatch has a revelation to bring you: Steven Gerrard played quite well last night for Liverpool. He had two shots, one of which was off target and the other which gave Liverpool a second-half lead from 15 yards out. It was a cool finish, but a chance you would expect Gerrard to take. He also lost possession 17 times (more than any other Liverpool player), but we repeat: he played quite well.

Unfortunately, 'quite well' doesn't sell papers. 'OMG' blerts out the headline on the back of The Sun, adding 'Goal hero Stevie proves he isn't finished yet' for bad measure. The Daily Express opt for 'Simply priceless', whilst The Independent call Gerrard 'Still the real deal'.

We've saved the best until last. 'Who Are You Calling Over The Hill?' asks the Daily Mirror, claiming that Gerrard 'silenced the critics with a show of ageless brilliance'. Oh for fu...

Still, if hyperbole's your thing the Daily Mail is your one true friend.

'He had scored 176 goals for Liverpool before last night, including strikes that defined European and domestic finals, but No. 177 seemed different, sweeter almost,' writes Dominic King.

Yes that's right, the second goal in a 3-1 win at Leicester was his sweetest goal of all. We think the player himself may disagree.

If this is to be the reaction every time Gerrard returns after being rested for one sodding match, Mediawatch is starting a petition for Brendan Rodgers to play him in every game or none at all. We just can't cope.