Boro close in on McManus & Thompson

BORO are close to agreeing a £2m deal for Rangers’ midfielder Kevin Thomson.

The 25-year-old Scottish international has been given permission to travel to Teesside for personal talks.
Gordon Strachan has been chasing the tough-tackling workhorse for some time, though Rangers’ initial valuation of £3m prevented early negotiations taking place.

However the two clubs are now close to finalising a deal.
Rangers boss Walter Smith admitted last week that his club would be powerless to resist a serious offer for the player who has made over 100 appearances for the club since his arrival from Hibernian in 2007.
It is understood that Boro striker Lee Miller will not be used as a makeweight in the deal.
If the switch goes ahead, Thomson will become the seventh Scottish Premier League player Strachan has signed since taking over at the Riverside - six of them Old Firm players.
Strachan knows all about Thomson’s qualities. When the midfielder was a teenager, Strachan took him to Coventry City.
But Thomson could not settle in the Midlands and was allowed to return home to Scotland where he established himself with Hibs and then moved on to Rangers.

Not too disaponted to see McManus go but leaves us a bit short at the back.

Well, I would be raging at this deal, but on a few sites it said we'd use the cash from the Thommo deal to sign Chris Eagles, and to be frank I'd rather have Chris Eagles. But nonetheless, good luck Kevin, we'll miss you, a great servant to the club and I wish you well in the future.

I think Thompson will do well down there. I think hes a good player and has improved greatly since he was at Hibs. He was sort of in Browns shadow there but I think to compare the two now it could well be that Thompson is the more improved player.

I think Thompson will do well down there. I think hes a good player and has improved greatly since he was at Hibs. He was sort of in Browns shadow there but I think to compare the two now it could well be that Thompson is the more improved player.

He's been pretty unlucky with injuries, but I think for the 2 million or so we paid for him he's been more than worth it. Thomson is different to some though in that he can win the ball, and not only pass, but beat a man or have a go at goal.

He's been pretty unlucky with injuries, but I think for the 2 million or so we paid for him he's been more than worth it. Thomson is different to some though in that he can win the ball, and not only pass, but beat a man or have a go at goal.

Literally,he can beat a man - to the floor that is.

Would be a good signing for Middlesbrough,giving them strength in the midfield while they prepare their resurgence to the Premier League under Gordon Strachan.

Hope he does well over at Teeside.

Literally,he can beat a man - to the floor that is.

Would be a good signing for Middlesbrough,giving them strength in the midfield while they prepare their resurgence to the Premier League under Gordon Strachan.

Hope he does well over at Teeside.

And at what point has he ever done that may I ask ?

Barry Robson and Thompson will be a quality midfield, we also have Gary O'Neil and Willo Flood.

Boro have been installed 8/1 favorites to win the Championship next season, personally i think we can do without the pressure of being favorites.

If Boro don't win the Championship next season i think Strachan should be fired

Good signings for Boro but I dont see them getting auto promotion next year.

Its a pretty weak division next season tbh, none of the relegated teams are anywhere near as good as Newcastle and West Brom. If i had to pick 2 to go up automatically next season id say Boro and Forest. Apparently Boro are still in the market for another 3-4 players.

Boro should come up, they are better than most of the teams out there in the CC.

Wouldn't be suprised if they go up with forest and Leicester win the playoffs.

Its a pretty weak division next season tbh, none of the relegated teams are anywhere near as good as Newcastle and West Brom. If i had to pick 2 to go up automatically next season id say Boro and Forest. Apparently Boro are still in the market for another 3-4 players.

Probaly more Rangers :'( and Celtic Players

My problem is not the squad.

My problem is the weight of expectation coupled with my lack of faith in Gordon S. Think they will crumble and finish in the play offs which is pot luck really.

But I do miss Boro in the prem hope to see the 2011/12 season.

My problem is not the squad.

My problem is the weight of expectation coupled with my lack of faith in Gordon S. Think they will crumble and finish in the play offs which is pot luck really.

But I do miss Boro in the prem hope to see the 2011/12 season.

Three time league winner with Celtic, led them to victories over Man Utd and AC Milan, two champions league 1/16 places. FA Cup final with Southampton and a few top 10 finishes as well as keeping Coventry in the premiership for years.

The guys record is pretty class, where is the lack of faith coming from? He is also signing players that dominated the SPL like Boyd,Mcdonald and Thomson. Charlie Adam is terrible and managed to get everyone fizzing over him, I expect good things from Boro.

I'll be the first to admit that i dont like Strachan. But i wont hide from the fact that he has been quality in the transfer market so far. Boyd,McManus and Thompson. They are all top class championship players, if not decent Premier League standard. Can't really see anybody with a stronger squad than Boro so looks like there heading in the right direction.