Developing a club, a philosophy and becoming the next "Barcelona"

callamity

Reaction score
Developing a club, a philosophy and becoming the next "Barcelona"

Today I am embarking on a new project of my football manager story, ever since the good ol' days of plugging in a DIABLO, to the more recent days of the GRID, I have been highly involved in creating tactics which can either beat the match engine or in FM14 provide a solid defence which ensures consistent results no matter the team. Now I am not the best at writing stories, or scenario's our analytics so do not expect no master class in tactical break downs, theoretical parses etc, but I will do my best to try to explain what I am doing as I go.

This new project is not about building the perfect Barcelona tactic, however the philosophies and similarities will be in place so that it is going to resemble or even replicate my personal observations of the Barcelona squad and how they should play, that being said this is more about the club, and developing it in a way which will provide the foundations which will provide long term success and stability whilst entertaining the supporters who watch the team play.

You might also be asking why this is being posted into the tactics sub forum and not into stories or scenario's?
The answer that you are looking for is, as a tactics creator I see many a post by the player in the various threads from the excellent creators we have here on fm-base. These posts are along the lines of
" I used your tactic with XYZ team, I got beat most games, tactic was fully fluid your tactic sucks"
These players have never developed a squad into one which will suit any of the tactics and have just flamed the creator who has selflessly put hours, some even months into perfecting a tactic. I am hoping these players see this and realize no matter how good a tactic is, you need to squad to use it successfully and begin spending time on the tactics before flaming the aforementioned creators.

Club and Facilities
Let's begin with the club, however irrelevant the starting club is as this project is about the end product which dependant on club choice will take years to complete. The aim is to have a club which has the youth and recruitment network which is able to produce its own stars, by own stars I mean players who come to the club at a young age, either bought in or recruited straight to the youth academy that come through the ranks and become first team regulars. I am going to do this with Newcastle United a team with a decent squad, decent fan base and decent facilities. This all sounds very decent doesn't it?

So, how do we turn Newcastle United, an average team from the English Premier League into one of the biggest and most successful clubs in world football?

from the roots of course,
View attachment 376278
the facilities at the club are of a good level, players will come through and progress, but will the ever be world superstars? maybe one in every Alan Shearer? This part affects first season signings, wages and the eventual bonuses I am able to offer my squad, but will benefit the club more so in the future by providing better youths, better training etc. This should be a no brainer to any FM player and that is why I'm only touching on this part of the game. For now the stadium will work but will we need a bigger one maybe 5-10 years down the line when we are a bigger better club?

Training
Training is key however it is more than limited in football manager with what we can actually put our fingers into, for now we get the best coaches we can. unfortunately at Newcastle in the first season we are limited to 9 staff members,
View attachment 376277
this does cover what we need for the first team but the under 21's and under18's training is severely hurt, however there are no prospects there at this time I am interested in developing so this is disappointing but not too important and will be improved upon later in the project. A youth development officer with the right personality and attributes will be key to getting the right youth's in. So for now training will focus on senior players and attributes I feel we lack in the right positions for the tactic which will be implemented. I use positional role training for individual players looking at key attributes which I want the players to develop, more so than the role in which they will be playing.
This is what I have set this up as
View attachment 376276

Now Newcastle do not have Barcelona style players so it is important we recruit well in the coming seasons I don't know if you noticed in the training image above that I was able to sell the target man type player shola ameobi and also terminated de jong's loan deal. I signed one player who I think will be the most important player in developing the playing squad to follow the Barcelona style of play, some of you may look at Xavi and Iniesta as the key to how Barcelona play and you may be right, however I see a different Barcelona with and without Messi. No I did not sign Messi for Newcastle that would be insane, however I did sign someone who I feel can become the next Messi, at least in this version of football manager; Angel Correa
View attachment 376275

The rest of the squad at this time is eventually going to be replaced so I won't look into these players too much, however the development of Correa is something I will monitor quite closely, I am starting him on an advanced playmaker schedule, however he will fill the trequartista role in the team on a rotational basis with Ben Arfa. He may on occasion cover the left wing position which is also set to advanced playmaker.
Team training and Match preparation training is not something I am going to write about, it is personal choice and doesn't tie in with what I am hoping to achieve during this project.

The Tactic
I know a lot of people (if anyone actually reads this thread) will be thinking why Barcelona there are other tactics there already for tika taka, Barcelona, Ajax etc and this will be the only interesting part, to find out if it is possible to re-create the perfect Barcelona tactic. As mentioned earlier this is my own observations and representations of the squad at Barcelona and how I think it should have been set up and have translated this into game as much as possible.
I think this is simple, I want to win the possession battle, whilst creating as much goal scoring opportunities as possible, I know neither of these things might come till alot later in the development of the club and the tactic however this is the basics of where I am at.

The tactic looks like this:
View attachment 376274
I feel it is self explainitory, though things you may find unusual

An Attacking playmaker on the left wing: This should be iniesta's role, I see him in the type of area's where this player in FM seems to show up. The ball sticks to him like glue and his passing is immaculate. There is no room for wingers in my opinion.
The above opens space for Fabregas who I think is the perfect example of a box to box midfielder, he may not be the Yaya Toure type of monster, but I think this role fits him absolutely perfect.
The Trequartista off centre is the Messi role, this is where I hope Correa will shine, and score plenty goals as he partners up with the Deeplying forward "Neymar". The Treq in this position opens up the space for the advanced wing back on the right to provide more width and stretch teams.

I have not touched set pieces at all at this time, I may introduce possession based settings for these at a later date.

Season by Season
player development;
to be updated season season by season as the right players are bought in

Correa - given advanced playmaker individual training for this season
beginning of season 2013-2014
View attachment 376275
End of Season 2013-2014
View attachment 375561

Fierro - in an attempt to improve his passing, creativity whilst still improving the finishing, off the ball and composure I will be placing fierro on the Trequartista schedule for the remainder of this season.
january of season 2013-2014
View attachment 375633
end of season 2013-2014
View attachment 375560

Lucas Silva - Training schedule half back
January of season 2013-2014
View attachment 375632
end of season 2013-2014
View attachment 375559
results-
as above in terms of results, some matches may be discussed in detail here. for now I want to get on with playing.
2013-2014
View attachment 375571View attachment 375569View attachment 375568

So the first season of this project is complete, a 7th place finish is not the best a Newcastle save can achieve, however we are playing a completely different style of football than what the team is actually capable of, this lead to some shaky results. There were alot of positives to be taken from the season, the possession football played was excellent averaging a minimum of 60% both home and away. There were lots of chances created, although not taken even in the games which were lost. It was unfortunate that we were drawn against a chelsea side which completed the treble in both cups, loosing out only 1-0 in the semi final of the FA cup. I consider the business done in the transfer market a success as I managed to bring in 3 of my 5 targets throughout the season relatively cheap. Hopefully next season we progress into europe and get some of those results from the games which we should have won.

Identifying Transfer targets:

I have gone through my squad and identified the key area's I feel that can be improved early with reasonably cheap options, I have no rotation option for Tiote at the half back position Therefor I have scouted and started bidding for Lucas Silva a 20 year old Brazilian defensive midfielder with bags of potential.
View attachment 375940

Other players I feel fit the bill are a long term pair of centre backs balanta and Umtiti seem to suit the tactic having good technical ability along with massive potential however may end up too expensive but we'll see what happens there.
View attachment 375939View attachment 375938

I am also considering Carlos Fierro for the deeplying forward position, however I may try to develop adam campbell if his potential lives up to earlier patches in this save.

Transfers Completed:

After being very dissappointed with the valuation clubs had put on the key transfers identified I worked my way down the list starting with lucas silva, his club asked for an initial ?42m for this young player? This was negotiated down to ?28m however this was never going to be affordable for Newcastle in the first season. similar issues with the other options available however Fierro came in at a reasonable ?8m when you consider this kids potential I could not resist splashing the cash on him.

View attachment 375633

This signing means that the two main attacking threats in the squad have been brought in so far and will be developed hopefully to become a fantastic pair, check his development in the earlier section.

It finally happened, Cruzeiro accepted a 7.5m bid for Lucas Silva, so I had to get in there and compete for his signature, this meant the termination of Loic Remy's loan deal though, however he only scored 2 goals in 12 games which isnt good enough and has contributed to a poor run of form. Lucas Silva will be developed as Tiote's long term replacement and will fill shield the defense and help us recycle possession.
View attachment 375632

This concludes all business done within the first season. I have spent alot of money on three outstanding prospects which will develop into part of the core of the team for the next 7-10 years.

As I progress my save I will add more to the initial post and possibly further posts if required. Thanks anyone who is interested in this type of thing :D

and apologies for the wall of text xD

Last edited:
I'm loving the idea here. I'm currently creating a tactic that has a mix of Barcelona and Atletico to it, great at retaining the ball, but if the opposition has it, we win it back and break at speed. I think Newcastle is a decent choice, and there is definite room for improvement for them as a club (youth recruitment and junior coaching for instance). I'll definitely be following this!

I'll be following this as well. Keep up the good work.

Really like your idea, its similar to one I've just started with Southampton so you've given me some good ideas :)
Just wandering though that if you wanted to dominate possession would you not have the tactic set to 'control' instead of 'counter'.

I'm loving the idea here. I'm currently creating a tactic that has a mix of Barcelona and Atletico to it, great at retaining the ball, but if the opposition has it, we win it back and break at speed. I think Newcastle is a decent choice, and there is definite room for improvement for them as a club (youth recruitment and junior coaching for instance). I'll definitely be following this!

your idea here is something really interesting to me also, I can imagine this being a lethal combo :D
This is one of the reasons I chose Newcastle yeah, they are a big enough club that it should not take too long to get to where I can compete domestically and possibly in europe whilst developing the club the way I want to.

I'll be following this as well. Keep up the good work.

thanks for the support mate :D

Really like your idea, its similar to one I've just started with Southampton so you've given me some good ideas :)
Just wandering though that if you wanted to dominate possession would you not have the tactic set to 'control' instead of 'counter'.

Good luck with Southampton, hopefully you do well and I'm really glad this has helped your thinking :D
I considered control, and may switch to it later in the progression of the tactics I will use, for now with the team settings I am averaging around 60% possession just now which is close to where I want to be and better than I expected at this stage :D

Thanks for the support guys, really appreciate it

your idea here is something really interesting to me also, I can imagine this being a lethal combo :D
This is one of the reasons I chose Newcastle yeah, they are a big enough club that it should not take too long to get to where I can compete domestically and possibly in europe whilst developing the club the way I want

Got some great results so far, only testing so far with Barca but I've won 14 out of
14 league games scoring 33 and conceding 4. Champions League just beat Marseille away 5-0 :D Once I've done a season with Barca I'll test with Swansea to see what it can do and tweak it a bit more.

I hope that this story is successful because it would be a really good achievement to make Newcastle a self-sufficient club, and you'd probably feel pretty proud of yourself if you did it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm trying to do the same with Southampton, but i'm having trouble scoring. i'm using an Arsenal Invincibles tactic but my players are so inept at defending and finishing its madness really.

I went full Hodor on this post and managed to create 2 replies at one time, so

Aims of closed season

request upgrades to training facilities, try to find a Youth development officer with high determination, and a proffessional attitude, I'm lead to believe this has an impact on youth's which are recruited into the club.

Improve the scouting facilities within the club, (hire better scouts)

Identify which areas of my squad I want to improve first and then Identify more targets which fit the system.

See next post for basic statistics on one of the matches where things went right :D

Last edited:
First season is over: update in the OP regarding results and player progression.

An interesting game:
View attachment 375558
From these statistics we can see possession was dominated, we had a considerable higher number of shots than Tottenham, we created 5 clear cut chances, which for a counter attacking possession based side is quite alot, and I am happy about that it we also scored 4 goals, which made this into one of our best results this season.

View attachment 375556

647 passes were attempted, most of which coming from the deeplying playmaker, this seems a reasonable amount considering Anita is not a world class player by no stretch of the imagination, I think he has a PA in the region of 140-150 but I am unsure of this number. A pass completion of 88% is very good for any player and I am really pleased with this at this time.

View attachment 375550

Average positional shape of the team looks to be close together, which allows short intricate passes which will have been the main reason of our high pass completion ratio for the team of 81% the left wing back looks to be a bit deep, I may change the duty here to attacking for next season to see how he fairs.

Transfer Targets
Instead of buying first team players again I have opted to get future replacements and one of them was on my earlier shortlist Balanta, I will look to rotate him with Coloccinni and then replace him at the end of the season. This will give me Balanta and Yanga-Mbiwa as my CB's for a few seasons whilst I build other area's of the team.

Balanta at this stage:

View attachment 375535

The next signing may come as surprise and I think I'm gambling on him a fair bit, he will require positional training to play there but Debuchy is good enough for another season or two while he develops. Young argentine winger Augustin Allione. I have signed him with the intention of him growing into a complete wing back type player on the right side, He has bags of potential as a winger so I'm hoping he will develop his defensive part of his game and become a fantastic wing back :D

View attachment 375533

Both of these players will be tutored by their respective senior players to aid in their development.

I have completed the appointment of David Parnaby from middlesborough as my Head of Youth Development, HE has all the right attributes, high determination, 20 working with youngsters and also a proffessional attitude, this will rub off on the youths which come to the club giving them better personalities as they join and the facilities are due to be completed by november 2014.

Our under 18's coaching now looks like this, a huge improvement on the 2 stars they had before
View attachment 375516

Last edited:
View attachment 373541

Unfortunately we received an offer for Santon which was acceptable, 23m he has how left us to join Napoli in his home country. This means we have to find a suitable replacement with bids made for both Grimaldo and Telles. Hopefully we can get one of these two in for cheap as they both fit our remit of bringing in youngsters and developing them. Haidara will do for now if we can not find a good enough replacement though.

View attachment 373540

We managed to sign Alex Telles for 13.5m making a 9.5m profit on this position, This allows us to look at suso from Liverpool as a possibility for the advanced playmaker role on the left wing. he has all the required attributes to become the next iniesta in my book :D

Last edited:
Tactical Evolution

The pattern form the Above spurs game regarding the teams average shape was happening in most games, the treq and the deeplying forward were too close together, whilst the wide playmaker was coming too far into the middle. This was restricting space and our attacks were being broken down a little bit easier than they should have been. I altered the tactic to prevent this from happening. This is how the tactic looks now.

View attachment 372880

The aim of this change is to get both the treq and the wide playmaker in more advanced positions, and have the false 9 assisting in ball retention more. This should provide higher scoring chances and pull defences around alot better than the previous version.

View attachment 372879View attachment 372878View attachment 372877

These average position shots from these three games give good representation of the shape of my team throughout the new season. The space up front was good, the treq was getting in better positions to hurt teams. I am happy with this for the season.

On top of this I added in attacking corners and free kicks, the main objective of these additions was to increase ball retention instead of just punting it into the box, passing it close and picking our targets and play wisely.

corners now look like
View attachment 372876

You may notice that two players are set to offer short option, the main reason for this is that the player in these positions is the corner taker on either side, this way it will always be one of these two laying it off to the other for a cross, pass or dribble into the box and a shot.

Last edited:
Second Season Review

The second season came with a bit of a surprise, at this stage in the clubs development I was not expecting success, maybe a push for european football to help aid the player development, but what we achieved was no less than surprising.

View attachment 372921

Newcastle United league champions by 1 point, a very good achievement which wasnt expected. Will we do aswell with the pressure of the champions league next year?

To top it all off we pulled together in a resounding victory over aston villa, scoring 4 goals, having 67% possession, attempting 718 passes with an 86% pass completion rate. These statistics are exceptional considering it is a cup final and how early into the development the side is.

View attachment 372875 View attachment 368564

Transfers
View attachment 372874

The transfers made so far I have explained the main transfers in an earlier post, however I never mentioned albin ekdan or georginio wijnaldum, these two players were very cheap buys as I felt the squad was in desperate need of back up. wijnaldum can cover both the treq and the advanced playmaker positions, and ekdal both deeplying playmaker and box to box midfielder

player development

View attachment 368571

View attachment 368570

View attachment 368569

View attachment 368568

View attachment 368567

View attachment 368566

Training and youth facilities

As you can see I have been doing year on year upgrades of training and youth facilities, this is essential to allow for an improvement to the youths we recruit to the club.

View attachment 368565

Last edited:
No mate. I did a couple little tweaks that I forgot about, I will be writing up today about it once I'm awake

Haha okay! I'm trying to do something similar but with a slightly different formation, I'll see how it goes

Haha okay! I'm trying to do something similar but with a slightly different formation, I'll see how it goes

Added the tactical update mate, goalkeeper has distribute to defenders as the only player instruction.

Added the tactical update mate, goalkeeper has distribute to defenders as the only player instruction.

Thanks man. Yeah that's normally the only PI that I use, my new tactic's not doing so badly, chance creation is a worry but I'm working on it, but a 1-0 FA Cup semi-final victory over a strong Chelsea side with my Man City team is positive.

I love this story, I always try to bring youth prospects through and become more self-sufficient rather than just buying the league, obviously I make signings that benefit the team, like you have. I also think that a youth policy like this helps achieve financial sustainability, which is pretty vital. I'm looking forward to youth intakes more now as my recruitment is the best it can be and this is my head of youth development!

View attachment 372870

As I said, I love the story, keep it up!