Developing a club, a philosophy and becoming the next "Barcelona"

Thanks man. Yeah that's normally the only PI that I use, my new tactic's not doing so badly, chance creation is a worry but I'm working on it, but a 1-0 FA Cup semi-final victory over a strong Chelsea side with my Man City team is positive.

I love this story, I always try to bring youth prospects through and become more self-sufficient rather than just buying the league, obviously I make signings that benefit the team, like you have. I also think that a youth policy like this helps achieve financial sustainability, which is pretty vital. I'm looking forward to youth intakes more now as my recruitment is the best it can be and this is my head of youth development!

View attachment 605571

As I said, I love the story, keep it up!

Thanks mate, that is good to hear aswell, Man City will be a fun save to try this sorta thing out with, especially with the personalities in the squad, you have great foundations for tutoring etc. In terms of chances I have found I am creating more now that my first 11 is starting to looks more like the final product. The development of the team to suit the tactic is coming a lot faster than I had anticipated. I was not expecting to win anything for 4 - 5 seasons. My youth facilities and coaching are improving year on year so hopefully I will see better youths coming through instead of going out and buying what I need.

Your head of youth development looks decent, however personally I like mine to have higher working with youngsters. Though the rest of your guys stats are insane xD

Thanks mate, that is good to hear aswell, Man City will be a fun save to try this sorta thing out with, especially with the personalities in the squad, you have great foundations for tutoring etc. In terms of chances I have found I am creating more now that my first 11 is starting to looks more like the final product. The development of the team to suit the tactic is coming a lot faster than I had anticipated. I was not expecting to win anything for 4 - 5 seasons. My youth facilities and coaching are improving year on year so hopefully I will see better youths coming through instead of going out and buying what I need.

Your head of youth development looks decent, however personally I like mine to have higher working with youngsters. Though the rest of your guys stats are insane xD

Yeah that stat is pretty awful :p his first youth intake was twice as good as the last one which is encouraging. After a 2-0 defeat away to PSG I tweaked the formation a little bit and just beat Arsenal 3-0 at home and created 4CCCs which is much better, according to average positions in the match analysis screen, it makes a 4-4-2 which is what I was trying to create, but looks nothing like one on the tactics screen xD. This is the one save that I've actually had a real deep interest in

The tactic looks really solid&much more "tiki-tactic" than all these tiki-taka tactics on the forum. Will follow this.

I forgot to ask, do you use OIs?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I forgot to ask, do you use OIs?

Yes I do, I leave these to my assistant, which is probably a bad idea in my case, he only has 11 tactical knowledge xD So I might start the search for a good one of those soon.

answering your other post too:
PSG isnt a bad team to loose 2-0 away to, but the change does seem positive, 3-0 win over arsenal is good, and so is the CCC's sometimes people go on and on about creating the most CCC's but it is the quality ones that count, these are where most goals come from and a return of 3 to your 4 is much more impressive than getting 10 CCC's and scoring 4 goals. I am also really enjoying this save, tbh its probably the first one I have really immersed myself into and taken control of every aspect of the club instead of just thinking my tactic is good i will win most games regardless of the rest of the stuff. Its much more satisfying.

Yes I do, I leave these to my assistant, which is probably a bad idea in my case, he only has 11 tactical knowledge xD So I might start the search for a good one of those soon.

answering your other post too:
PSG isnt a bad team to loose 2-0 away to, but the change does seem positive, 3-0 win over arsenal is good, and so is the CCC's sometimes people go on and on about creating the most CCC's but it is the quality ones that count, these are where most goals come from and a return of 3 to your 4 is much more impressive than getting 10 CCC's and scoring 4 goals. I am also really enjoying this save, tbh its probably the first one I have really immersed myself into and taken control of every aspect of the club instead of just thinking my tactic is good i will win most games regardless of the rest of the stuff. Its much more satisfying.

Ah right okay, yeah the only problem is that it's 2024 and I'm building a club that was partially built, I think I might start a save with Southampton, they've also got decent youth facilities and a decent standing in the game

Screenshots

Hello mate!
This sounds very interesting and i'm following you close.

But, can't you put up some screenshots of your transfers for all seasons and your match training and individual training schedule?
'

Cheers!

Hello mate!
This sounds very interesting and i'm following you close.

But, can't you put up some screenshots of your transfers for all seasons and your match training and individual training schedule?
'

Cheers!

Hi mate, I have gone in depth to the transfers I have made so far. I have only completed 2 seasons and the second season review is still in the process of being written. which includes the transfers for this year. Match training is not really something I am going to write about as it is changing from game to game.

individual training schedule is changing constantly also dependant on how players are developing and I will talk about this in each players own section.

Hi mate, I have gone in depth to the transfers I have made so far. I have only completed 2 seasons and the second season review is still in the process of being written. which includes the transfers for this year. Match training is not really something I am going to write about as it is changing from game to game.

individual training schedule is changing constantly also dependant on how players are developing and I will talk about this in each players own section.

Ah okay i see.
But i was more thinking about the first season (transfers).
And do you have tactics only in the pre-season as match training?

Congratulations lad. I did the same thing a while back, but I took a LLM club. Regarding your tactical setup, I think counter attacks will make your team play too fast. Barca is all about slow attack buildup, although they have used counter with some managers, so I think standard strategy would be more appropriate, although counter will work too with some changes. Regarding your player roles, I don't think there is a successfull team in the world that doesn't use last midfielder as a ball winning guy. DM. Modern Barca uses a classic wing on the right flank, a treq as striker, and inside forward attack on left wing who is effectively your number nine. Having finishing as primary attribute suits him well. Also, both Real Madrid and Barcelona use a CM attack as left midfielder. His job is to dribble wide to the left whilst inside forward goes into the box. If you read cm attack description, you will see this is what he does. And you are correct that next to him is a box to box player. He is needed to get on the end of wingers crosses amongst other things. If you check out barcas players prefered moves, you will see some have "come late into box" which is perfect.

If you are bent on using counter strategy, you should change a few things. First, striker shouldn't be a treq, as he roams, and you want everyone to stick to position. A poacher would be more suitable. That also means changing left wing role and duty to inside forward support. You don't want agression near your goal, you want composure as you are defending deep, so instead of bwmd you should use dlpd. Also, remove hassling. Hasling actually sets all your players to man and tight marking and increases tempo, neither of which goes well with counter attacking.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Last edited:
Congratulations lad. I did the same thing a while back, but I took a LLM club. Regarding your tactical setup, I think counter attacks will make your team play too fast. Barca is all about slow attack buildup, although they have used counter with some managers, so I think standard strategy would be more appropriate, although counter will work too with some changes. Regarding your player roles, I don't think there is a successfull team in the world that doesn't use last midfielder as a ball winning guy. DM. Modern Barca uses a classic wing on the right flank, a treq as striker, and inside forward attack on left wing who is effectively your number nine. Having finishing as primary attribute suits him well. Also, both Real Madrid and Barcelona use a CM attack as left midfielder. His job is to dribble wide to the left whilst inside forward goes into the box. If you read cm attack description, you will see this is what he does. And you are correct that next to him is a box to box player. He is needed to get on the end of wingers crosses amongst other things. If you check out barcas players prefered moves, you will see some have "come late into box" which is perfect.

If you are bent on using counter strategy, you should change a few things. First, striker shouldn't be a treq, as he roams, and you want everyone to stick to position. A poacher would be more suitable. That also means changing left wing role and duty to inside forward support. You don't want agression near your goal, you want composure as you are defending deep, so instead of bwmd you should use dlpd. Also, remove hassling. Hasling actually sets all your players to man and tight marking and increases tempo, neither of which goes well with counter attacking.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Hi mate, thanks for the kind words and the advice you've given, whilst all of this is very very good information it isnt exactly what im looking for or hoping to achieve.

I'll quote myself here :

"This new project is not about building the perfect Barcelona tactic, however the philosophies and similarities will be in place so that it is going to resemble or even replicate my personal observations of the Barcelona squad and how they should play, that being said this is more about the club, and developing it in a way which will provide the foundations which will provide long term success and stability whilst entertaining the supporters who watch the team play. "

and then go on to say if I was going to attempt to create the perfect Barcelona tactic I'd be following a very close interpretation of the advice you've gone through. Aswell as alot of analytical articles about them :D

thanks alot though :D

Hi mate, thanks for the kind words and the advice you've given, whilst all of this is very very good information it isnt exactly what im looking for or hoping to achieve.

I'll quote myself here :

"This new project is not about building the perfect Barcelona tactic, however the philosophies and similarities will be in place so that it is going to resemble or even replicate my personal observations of the Barcelona squad and how they should play, that being said this is more about the club, and developing it in a way which will provide the foundations which will provide long term success and stability whilst entertaining the supporters who watch the team play. "

and then go on to say if I was going to attempt to create the perfect Barcelona tactic I'd be following a very close interpretation of the advice you've gone through. Aswell as alot of analytical articles about them :D

thanks alot though :D

There is no need to set your self defensively against me. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just pointing at tactical flaws in your setup, regardless of who you want or dont want to emulate. You may have your own "style", and I respect that, but it will work better if you take my suggestions. But, I guess you will have to come to same conclusion as me as time passes by, so suit yourself...I had no ill will writing this...

There is no need to set your self defensively against me. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just pointing at tactical flaws in your setup, regardless of who you want or dont want to emulate. You may have your own "style", and I respect that, but it will work better if you take my suggestions. But, I guess you will have to come to same conclusion as me as time passes by, so suit yourself...I had no ill will writing this...
I wasn't being defensive or I'll willed mate, I'm sorry it came across this way. I was only giving the reason why the tactical approach here isn't a perfect emulation of the style of football. I really do appreciate any and all comments.

This seems really interesting.
I always try to instill my own philosophy wherever I manage. I did this with Leeds in FM 2012, with plenty of success (I was able to steal Courtois, Mata, and Oscar from Chelsea, it was so satisfying).

The pattern form the Above spurs game regarding the teams average shape was happening in most games, the treq and the deeplying forward were too close together, whilst the wide playmaker was coming too far into the middle. This was restricting space and our attacks were being broken down a little bit easier than they should have been. I altered the tactic to prevent this from happening. This is how the tactic looks now.

View attachment 605552

The aim of this change is to get both the treq and the wide playmaker in more advanced positions, and have the false 9 assisting in ball retention more. This should provide higher scoring chances and pull defences around alot better than the previous version.

View attachment 605554View attachment 605555View attachment 605556

These average position shots from these three games give good representation of the shape of my team throughout the new season. The space up front was good, the treq was getting in better positions to hurt teams. I am happy with this for the season.

On top of this I added in attacking corners and free kicks, the main objective of these additions was to increase ball retention instead of just punting it into the box, passing it close and picking our targets and play wisely.

corners now look like
View attachment 605559

You may notice that two players are set to offer short option, the main reason for this is that the player in these positions is the corner taker on either side, this way it will always be one of these two laying it off to the other for a cross, pass or dribble into the box and a shot.

About the corner settings...
How do you get the AMC and the AML position to "Offer Short Option"?

Also, remove hassling. Hasling actually sets all your players to man and tight marking and increases tempo, neither of which goes well with counter attacking.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

Hassling creates the rapid counter pressing that Barcelona were so good at during '08-'11. Also, counter attacks need to be fast, otherwise the opposition just get back into position behind the ball and the chance is gone.

About the corner settings...
How do you get the AMC and the AML position to "Offer Short Option"?

Hi mate, when you go into the set pieces settings there are tick boxes on the left hand side if you go into the attacking corner settings. If you want more than one player to do the same thing at corners, ie offer short option, check the box for the first player you want to do it, set him to "offer short option" then untick him. Now check the box for the second player and set him to "offer short option" keep this players tick box checked and check the first players box also. Now both players should be set to offer short option.

This can be used to set up things like the old corner exploit with all players set to lurk outside and one on attack near post.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...hy-becoming-next-barcelona-2.html#post2171488

Second season review updated a bit, click on player link to view the development, I havent finished this part

Season 3
Goals - further improve coaching staff for both 1st and youth teams.
upgrade training and youth facilities, along with scouting network.
Complete the signing of a young center midfielder and possibly goalkeeper to replace krul and anita long term.

So far the training and youth facilities are being upgraded this can be seen in the season review for season 2 linked above.
Coaches and staff will be looked into throughout the season.

Big signing of the summer mister Will Hughes

View attachment 368563

Will is english so fits the home grown status, comes ready made with the dictates tempo PPM and has more than bags of potential, the long term replacement for Anita is another exciting prospect for me.

outgoings are listed here there are none worth noting or replacing
View attachment 368562

That's awesome!!!
Every time i play fm or cm i try to do something like this.
In this fm14 imim doping this with Treze (Brasil) a small club in Paraíba state.
Your tatics look amazing.
Hope for new updatesupdates!

Great thread, an enjoyable read.

I'm doing a similar thing with Newcastle, but not with possession based football. I'm using a tactic based on Juventus, 3-5-2, a TM upfront, lots of clean sheets etc. Balanta and Lucas Silva should be great players for you. I have them both, Balanta is valued at £34m and Lucas Silva is valued at £30.5m in 2017.