Ferguson 'still trusts' Berbatov

sir alex could of saved that 30 million and bought tevez , would of done united a whloe lot of good
No.........We were able to afford both. We offered the money but tevez turned us down.:mad:

No.........We were able to afford both. We offered the money but tevez turned us down.:mad:
in reality, fergie had eyes for benzema, thats why he let it lapse, he wasnt gonna pay 45 million for tevez, in the end we were outbid for benzema.... and ended up with owen

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

You offered for Tevez way too late.
tevez had already decided he was leaving in march

I am not surprised Tevez left when Berbatov was being picked ahead of him, I am sure that ****** him off.

I am not surprised Tevez left when Berbatov was being picked ahead of him, I am sure that ****** him off.
****** a lot united fans off as well. regardless of how it ended, and how acrimonius its been, there are plenty of fans who still have affection for tevez

it is clear that berba plays in a syStem that is unfavourable to him. Even a great like ruud van nistelrooy would struggle in this system.

Agree with you about this. Berbatov was bought as the creative focal point in the fluid system which depended on Ronaldo's pace and Rooney's workrate on the wings. Now Manchester United are playing a 4-2-3-1 and Berbatov is not ever going to be that lone striker. Really isn't his game and he isn't dynamic enough to play the role of the 'playmaker' in that system.

Reminds me so much of the Veron transfer - player bought to play in a fluid footballing formation but Ferguson realising that his team can't play it and so reverting to something more pragmatic.

Player himself is very inconsistent and this Spurs must have been laughing all the way to the bank to get 30 million for him.

Agree with you about this. Berbatov was bought as the creative focal point in the fluid system which depended on Ronaldo's pace and Rooney's workrate on the wings. Now Manchester United are playing a 4-2-3-1 and Berbatov is not ever going to be that lone striker. Really isn't his game and he isn't dynamic enough to play the role of the 'playmaker' in that system.

Reminds me so much of the Veron transfer - player bought to play in a fluid footballing formation but Ferguson realising that his team can't play it and so reverting to something more pragmatic.

Player himself is very inconsistent and this Spurs must have been laughing all the way to the bank to get 30 million for him.

And what's worse is that Fergie can't swallow the truth that he may have made a mistake in paying a near record-breaking transfer to get someone who plays the complete opposite to what Manchester United play in general.

very true, we evolved our play after ronaldo and tevez left (no longer having a magic triangle), but unlike most united players, hes not very good at adapting. also uniteds play so often depends on high work rate. i actually think that had we signed a creative midfielder who coould attack from deep (sneidjer) it would have linked up very well with dimi. but still it was an inflexible signing

You offered for Tevez way too late.
Maybe but my point was buying berbatov had nothing to do with not having enough money to buy tevez........because we did have enough........and made the bid.:p

And what's worse is that Fergie can't swallow the truth that he may have made a mistake in paying a near record-breaking transfer to get someone who plays the complete opposite to what Manchester United play in general.
How exactly do you want to him admit it? Assuming thats true.

Say in a press conference that buying berbatov was a mistake? way to demoralise your 2nd choice striker

Flog him last summer? Sell a reasonably good striker who despite not quite fitting our system still did quite well.

oO)

exactly so if sir alex saved the money that he spent on berbatov he could have bought tevez

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Maybe but my point was buying berbatov had nothing to do with not having enough money to buy tevez........because we did have enough........and made the bid.:p

How exactly do you want to him admit it? Assuming thats true.

Say in a press conference that buying berbatov was a mistake? way to demoralise your 2nd choice striker

Flog him last summer? Sell a reasonably good striker who despite not quite fitting our system still did quite well.

oO)

if you didn't have berbatov tevez would have been garentied 1st team football, which is one of the reasons he left.

exactly so if sir alex saved the money that he spent on berbatov he could have bought tevez

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------[/COLOR]

if you didn't have berbatov tevez would have been garentied 1st team football, which is one of the reasons he left.
Yeah, thats a fair enough point but the money point is simply not true. We had the money because we offered it but since he wasn't first team he turned us down.:S

He's never done that though mate. With Veron he banned journalists from press conferences for asking questions about the transfer (incidentally the Veron transfer was one of those which led to Ferguson refusing to talk to the BBC - but that was more about what his son Jason was doing taking fees on the transfers and acting as agent for players his dad was buying and selling). All managers make mistakes in the transfer market (Wenger with Jeffers, Souness with Ali Dia... ; ) ), so I try not to be too harsh when a big signing flops - after all Ferguson has a consistent record of going out and paying top money and making a success of things (I've lost count of the amount of times he's broken transfer records at Manchester United since the moment he took over). Really dislike the man, but you've got to be fair about his record in the transfer market.

-----

themadsheep2001 - I see Berbatov more in that 'Cantona/Zola/Bergkamp' role than as an out and out striker. Berbatov just doesn't seem to have the physical presence or pace or work rate to consistently play as a lone striker and so he ends up coming deeper, and with Nani and Valencia as your wingers, you're not going to get too much cutting in from the flanks.

I'm not certain whether these days he's actually even the right player for that playmaker role given that almost every team now has a player specifically assigned to cover it (the 'Makelelelelelele/Mascherano/Essien/Hargreaves' type role).

Last edited:
He's never done that though mate. With Veron he banned journalists from press conferences for asking questions about the transfer (incidentally the Veron transfer was one of those which led to Ferguson refusing to talk to the BBC - but that was more about what his son Jason was doing taking fees on the transfers and acting as agent for players his dad was buying and selling). All managers make mistakes in the transfer market (Wenger with Jeffers, Souness with Ali Dia... ; ) ), so I try not to be too harsh when a big signing flops - after all Ferguson has a consistent record of going out and paying top money and making a success of things (I've lost count of the amount of times he's broken transfer records at Manchester United since the moment he took over). Really dislike the man, but you've got to be fair about his record in the transfer market.

-----

themadsheep2001 - I see Berbatov more in that 'Cantona/Zola/Bergkamp' role than as an out and out striker. Berbatov just doesn't seem to have the physical presence or pace or work rate to consistently play as a lone striker and so he ends up coming deeper, and with Nani and Valencia as your wingers, you're not going to get too much cutting in from the flanks.

I'm not certain whether these days he's actually even the right player for that playmaker role given that almost every team now has a player specifically assigned to cover it (the 'Makelelelelelele/Mascherano/Essien/Hargreaves' type role).
yeah we play with out and out wingers, as opposed to arsenals inside forwards. he need players getting beyond him, hence why i would have liked someone like sneidjer.
it worked last season to an extent since rooney and ronaldo played as inside forwards when out wide. i think he will go in the summer, we need to start reshaping, and we will need all the funding we can get

benzema might come on loan next season is what i heard as madrid prepare to get david villa and i didnt tevez say that fergie never spoke to him at all only to check on sumthing to do wiv an injury or sumthing

-----

i think that halfs the problem he is expected to be this kinda of god like player, like Cantona, Zola and Bergkamp where. He is Dimitar Berbatov, At spurs he run in behind, he workd relatively hard, he has come to man utd, The press, the Fans fromer Players, have all said he is the next Cantona. Which has played with his head.

That's a good point Scott. He can't help it if your manager decided to throw 30 million at Spurs to make the transfer happen, but at the same time that kind of money generates expectation. But he really is a square peg in a round hole at the moment at Manchester. Wonder whether Ferguson will bite bullet and try to get some money back by selling him on.

----

Themadsheep - yeah I know what you mean about a Sneijder (or even a young Paul Scholes) type player breaking from midfield. Guess the question becomes how well you can reshape in the summer, or even if you can afford to reshape in the manner which you've become used to with Ferguson considering that you need at least three signings just to replace Scholes, Giggs and Neville who, with the best will in the world, haven't really done the business this season even as squad players.

Tevez has proven so many utd fans wrong, on this forum even people were saying berba was better and they were fine without him, people were sarcastic and said things like " Oh yes have him, he will give you 6 goals a season" Hes scored 27 and has been fantastic for us, 10 times better than berbatov has been for man utd, hes a very impressive player, we didnt pay 47m for him, its a stupid rumour and the EPL have never confirmed it, until they do anyone with a brain capacity will not believe it,

Berbatov had a woeful game today, again, but I don't think one player particularly shone - Neville had a decent block that was about it.

Valencia missed a sitter, poor. Nani was dreadful (on the back of a decent game, probably one of the least consistent players in the league).