Just tried it out against Villa. Granero just tore Villa apart (Sorry GC :(), looked far better than the first attempt (stupid crash dumps, lost Rossi opening his account with a brace. >.< ). Looks promising!
nice to hear, quick question, did you have him set to roaming/./

excellent read, but the thing is wouldn't you get overrun defensively down that flank. As i understand roberto carlos is not young and your center halves will be stretched if the opposition break on that side

Of course, but its a tradeoff between greater attacking threat and defensive solidity. I find that generally, the AI doesn't take too much advantage before you can get the fullback safely back in position. I have managed to exploit this against a human though, using a left forward against a buccaneering right wing back. Tore him apart completely. I find one way to help make it safe is if you use an Anchor Man. As your defender shuffles over, the Anchor Man often drops it, forming a temporary back four whilst the fullback runs back.

The higher stamina, pace and acceleration your fullback has, the safer you are, as a rule.

OMG I USED THIS WIF BARNET N LOST 24-0 TO MANU SO IT SUX LOL YOUR TACTIC IS ****!!!

Kidding, an excellent read. Shame your strikers couldn't score in the examples though!

One question, coming from the master of anti-football. I've never really experimented with attacking full-backs. Do you find they leave the defence exposed to counter attacks often, or is it fairly sturdy in defence?

Yeah I do.
aye thought so. try this. set you MCl to advanced playmaker (i use attack, but it may work just as well is support) but set him to roaming and moves into channels, they often combine very well just in front of goal

aye thought so. try this. set you MCl to advanced playmaker (i use attack, but it may work just as well is support) but set him to roaming and moves into channels, they often combine very well just in front of goal

I already had something similar like that with Defour in MCl, just Hazard was an inside forward. It was working really well like that, just loved how Defour played too, reminded me of Scholes a lot. :wub:

I like the whole full back inside forward thing, exactly how Arsenal play in real life with Sagna and Clichy overlapping Arshavin/Nasri/Walcott or whoever else gets played on the wing. It is a shame there aren't many full backs on FM that have a substantial attacking ability to make the most of this tactic.

I like the whole full back inside forward thing, exactly how Arsenal play in real life with Sagna and Clichy overlapping Arshavin/Nasri/Walcott or whoever else gets played on the wing. It is a shame there aren't many full backs on FM that have a substantial attacking ability to make the most of this tactic.

Not necessarily true. They don't need to have extreme attacking ability, at worst they just need to be there to offer another option and stretch play, making the pitch wider as it were.

Not necessarily true. They don't need to have extreme attacking ability, at worst they just need to be there to offer another option and stretch play, making the pitch wider as it were.

If you play your cards right with a good crosser from FB, you could wreak havoc. The possibilities are endless.

One question, coming from the master of anti-football. I've never really experimented with attacking full-backs. Do you find they leave the defence exposed to counter attacks often, or is it fairly sturdy in defence?

Fairly
sturdy. Every so often there's a defensive lapse, a fullback being caught too high up the pitch, but if your fullback is fairly quick then they'll need to counterattack at absolute lightning speed to take advantage. What I found was, one of three things happened:

1. Fullback camped near touchline, ball goes to him or Inside Forward, ball goes in and then out later on, as a goal/corner/goalkick/throw in. Allows your fullback lots of time to get back into position, no chance of a counterattack.

2. Fullback camped near touchline, ball goes to him or Inside Forward, ball goes in and then bobbles out to an opposition player. As soon as possession is lost, fullback sprints at full pelt back to his position, and by the time the opposition are in any state to take advantage of the gap left by him he's already back there.

3. Fullback camped near touchline, ball goes to him or Inside Forward, ball goes in and then is played out, whether by a lucky clearance or a great pass, to a winger and at least one forward that have for some reason remained up, or wandered back up. Winger and forwards then have about a 50/50 chance of messing exploiting the gap up (due to AI stupidity coupled with the pressure a possible clean break puts on the concentration, composure, decisions, anticipation attributes and also a player requiring the necessary pace to take advantage) plus the normal margin for error your players have.

In other words, it can happen, but it is fairly unlikely. In my experiences.

Great read. Not that I don't know this stuff already :p
But it is always good to have someone else's perspective :)

Just had read through this as I'm creating a 4-4-2 variant, and it was all very useful indeed. Particularly the information on a staggered midfield which I'll be implementing into my tactic. Cheers GC.

Playing with Barcelona I play with Messi AMR as an advanced player, obviously with Dani Alves at RB, so would it matter that Messi wasn't an inside forward for this to work for me ?

Great thread mate

If i use a 3 man midfield what is the best style/role for my 1 striker?

Good quide, enjoyed reading it. But I have had one question for a long time in my mind. What if the midfield creator is in AMC position as advanced playmaker/attacking midfielder with support? What are the differences compared to playing him as CM position?

Playing with Barcelona I play with Messi AMR as an advanced player, obviously with Dani Alves at RB, so would it matter that Messi wasn't an inside forward for this to work for me ?
It would, there would just be less space for Alves to overlap into. But why wouldn't you play Messi as an inside forward? His strength is cutting inside and going for goal :)

Great thread mate

If i use a 3 man midfield what is the best style/role for my 1 striker?
It depends on the striker's strengths and what you wish to achieve within your formation, IMO. But usually, a lone striker is either a Deep-lying forward, Advanced forward, Target man, or Complete forward. But really, anything can be made to work when you build your other players around it.

Good quide, enjoyed reading it. But I have had one question for a long time in my mind. What if the midfield creator is in AMC position as advanced playmaker/attacking midfielder with support? What are the differences compared to playing him as CM position?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking in the first question :)

But for the second question, IMO there wouldn't be a huge amount of difference to playing him in the MC position. It really depends on what position he is more accomplished at. How far forward the player tries to get can always be tweaked by increasing his mentality setting.