Just a few possibles, a mix of old, young, cheap etc etc

DL: Marcel Schmelzer (may have moved to Almeria)
Punch Masenamela
Ibrahim Uzulmez
Tomas Hubocan
Philipp Bonig
Jose Maria Basanta
Lee Wallace (Hearts)
Fernando Vega (Betis)
Andreas Ibertsberger

Gianluca Comotto is on a free at the end of the 1st season but he's DR, so if you've got someone who works on both right and left, he'd be good, and if the dl/dr switch is available then maybe rafael/fabio from man utd on loan

MC: Anthony Annan
Facundo Agustinoy (21 year old, he will improve quite a bit)
Marcone (bahia)
Leandro (bahia in the 1st season up to Dec, should be 25/26 y.o.)
Mohamed Diame (wigan)

AMC: Medo (partizan)
Ibrahim Afellay
Anton Putsila
Balazs Dzsudzsak
Dario Conca
Juan Roman Riquelme

ST: Salva and Julio Cruz are on frees in the 1st season, but are generally decreasing like crazy by now, but still possibilities
Martin Palermo (if he hasn't retired)
Liedson (sporting)
Iarley (corinthians)
Humberto Suazo
Vaclav Kadlec
Federico Macheda (loan)
Leigh Griffiths
Garra Dembele (my personal choice for quality vs. price)
Gaston Fernandez (Estudiantes)
Javier Saviola
Pablo Mouche (he's not great at the moment but he improves and will get you goals)

Took me 5 seasons to take leeds to the premier in FM 2010 , first time i played it so dont fell bad haha. Well..anyway for a striker get Kadlec, he turns massive!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas, I have managed to bring in a couple of good players from your recommendations. Unfortunately the majority had already been bought by the big clubs, which is a surprise because in previous FM's the big clubs often missed some real wonders.

So far I have brought in:

ST - Leigh Griffiths - 10 goals in pre-season!
MC - Tom Cairney - Had a great pre-season with some long range crackers.
AMC - John Fleck (1.8m and stats look good)
LB - Manu (found him looks good from stats still waiting to see if it works out?!)

Few games in, not won yet but not an easy start:
Liverpool (home) lost 4-3
Man City (away) lost 3-1
Walsall (LC) Won 4-0

Agree with BlackSamba on John Fleck, got a Rangers save at the moment & Arsenal have just popped a tidy 5.5m quid bid for him. He is class.

Look at the relegated teams that have gone down from the premiership. Always some unhappy class in there teams.

Good piece of advice! I managed to get Charlie Adam and Phil Jones for decent prices. Also got John Fleck for around 1.6mil. Have a look at the likes of Arsenal, Utd and City for players in there reserves. On my game in, second season in City had both Richards and Onuoha available for loan, with Utd having Macheda available etc. Jonathan Woodgate wouldn`t be a bad signing, i got him on a free and his wage demands aren`t to bad. If your worried about his injury record he`s played everygame for me, think he`s on something like 30 now, which is the most out of my enture squad!

stretch your budget by bidding over 48 months. i got a 25 mill budget with norwich and spent 57 mill with 8 mill left over after a couple of low value sales

Billy Sharp from Doncaster or Danny Graham from Watford, they're actually good players who can do well in the premiership, for my Southampton team 3rd season Danny Graham got 27 apps and 22 goals and Billy Sharp got 14 in 20.

I was also reading in fm 2010 and 2011. my fave left back is antunes from roma for a tidy 400k and i get andrew davies in on loan from stoke in 1st season then 1 million clause to buy, usually 2 million. i bought darren pratley from swansea for about 3 million and garra dembele is absolute class, scored 8 goals in 12 games end of 2010. i usually play a 4-5-1 with church, long or dembele up front on thier own.