AndySams10

Reaction score
The Return of the King...
(An AndySams10 Story)

View attachment 818407

Introduction:

So after a long break from playing FM and writing stories, I feel the time is right to begin another story and hope it will be as successful as a few others I've written in the past.
After doing a bit of silent reading of a few of the stories on here and looking back at my previous stories that received a lot of interest, I've decided to go down the route of being an ex-player that has ambitions to make a name for themselves as a manager.

With that in mind and being a huge Spurs fan and season ticket holder, there was only one person I could look to take on a managerial journey and that is Spurs legend Ledley King.
After making 268 appearances for his boyhood team, Ledley's career was cut short in 2012 due to a chronic knee injury. Since retiring from the game he's been heavily involved at the club, he joined as a trainee in 1996, becoming ambassador of the club and helping build the clubs fan base throughout the world, before working with the Under 18s while taking his coaching badges.

Manager Profile:

View attachment 282042
As you can't start managing at Under 18 level, I've made Ledley unemployed, with a continental B license and set his past experience as a professional footballer. Though Ledley made 21 appearances for England, I feel, due to his injuries, he wasn't able to make a big impact on the international stage, so that's why I haven't set him as an International footballer, so Ledley will have to study and learn his trade before he can begin to challenge the very best managers in the world.

Nice! Always felt for Ledley King, things could have gone so much better for him.

Nice! Always felt for Ledley King, things could have gone so much better for him.

Cheers mate. Yeah, having seen him play, in my opinion, if he hadn't of had the injuries he would've become the best defender in England and up there with the best in the world. Hopefully I can replicate how good he was on the pitch, off it as a manager.

View attachment 282039

14th July 2014

KING TURNS DOWN KILMARNOCK

Former Tottenham Hotspur star Ledley King has rejected the chance to return to football by turning down the vacant managerial role at Rugby Park.

King, 33, had been in talks with Kilmarnock Chairman Michael Johnston early this morning, but reports are suggesting the deal broke down due to King's reluctance to work at a high profile club in his first managerial role.

" Yes the rumours are true. We met with Ledley and his representatives today regarding the
vacant managerial role here. But after lengthy discussions, Ledley felt he needed to build his
reputation further before accepting a role at a high profile club. Though we are
disappointed, we fully understand Ledley's views and wish him all the best. "
Said Michael Johnston.

A spokesman for King added;

" Ledley was flattered to be offered the role of Manager at Kilmarnock. Unfortunately the
offer has come at the wrong time with him just starting his managerial career and he wishes Mr
Johnston and Kilmarnock the best for the future. "

With Ledley King now out of the running for the Kilmarnock job, it leaves former Ipswich Town and Southampton Manager George Burley the bookies firm favourite to land the job.

View attachment 282025

10th October 2014

KING HEADS TO SPAIN!

Struggling Barcelona 'B' have today appointed Ex-Tottenham Hotspur legend Ledley King, as their new manager on a deal until the end of the 2014/15 season.

Currently sitting 21st in Liga Adelante, the reserve team to FC Barcelona, parted company with Jordi Vinyals early in the week after picking up a dismal four points from a possible twenty one. Though they can't get promoted to La Liga, Chairman Josep Maria Bartomeu is keen on the team challenging further up the table, while developing youth players to break into the first team in the future.

" We feel Ledley is the right person to change the current fortunes of this team. He brings
a wealth of experience working with young players and helping to develop them into future stars of the
game and we hope he can replicate what he did at Tottenham Hotspur here at Miniestadi, allowing
our bright young prospects to feature in our first team. "
Added Mr Bartomeu.

View attachment 282005

With the Catalan club just one place off the bottom of the league, Ledley clearly will have his work cut out to make sure Barcelona 'B' stay in the division, but it's a challenge he is clearly looking forward too, as he embarks on his first managerial job.

" Many people may see this as a unusual opportunity to accept, with Barcelona 'B' not being
able to win promotion. But this chance allows me to work at one of the biggest clubs in the world,
where I can learn and improve working alongside some top coaches, in a less pressured
environment. It's a short term deal, which myself and the Chairman have agreed, so if an
offer comes along where I feel it's too hard to turn down I'll be able to leave with his blessing. "
King
commented on the clubs official website.

There is a press conference scheduled for later this afternoon at Miniestadi, where Ledley will be unveiled in front of the Spanish media.

View attachment 281694

10th October 2014

PRESS CONFERENCE:

View attachment 281692

Luis Amores: " Ledley, what made you decide to come to Spain and work here at Barcelona 'B'? "

Ledley: " There is so much pressure on managers these days to get success immediately. By working here,
I can improve my management skills and learn in a less pressured environment amongst some of
the best coaches in Europe at one of the worlds biggest teams. "

Luis Amores: " Surely then you are using Barcelona 'B' as a stepping stone to further your career? "

Ledley: " Myself and the Chairman have spoken at length about my future here. He felt the team
needed a change and asked me to work with the side on a short term deal. With us not being able to
get promoted, but play in a competitive league, it's the right move for me at this stage of my career. "

Pablo Berengeur: " Jordi Vinyals was sacked due to expectations not being met. Do you have confidence
that you can bring results up to scratch from the start? "

Ledley: " I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the task and firmly believe the players here are good
enough to achieve what's been asked of them. "

Pablo Berenguer: " Do you think the next three fixtures give you a good start to begin picking up points? "

Ledley: " I think there are points definitely to be had and I'm keen to get us off to a good start. "

*** End of Press Conference ***

View attachment 281691

OCTOBER 2014:

LIGA Adelante
12/10/14 - El Sardinero

Racing (0 - 1) Barcelona 'B'
Sergi Juste (49), Lionel Enguene Sent Off (92)

LIGA Adelante
19/10/14 - Miniestadi

Barcelona 'B' (1 - 0) Alcorcon
Joan Roman (31)

LIGA Adelante
25/10/14 - Heliodoro Rodriguez Lopez

Tenerife (1 - 0) Barcelona 'B'

LEAGUE TABLE:

View attachment 281683

Ledley:
" To pick up six points in my opening three games is very pleasing indeed. The players are beginning to understand the philosophy I'm keen on us playing and have trained extremely well these past couple of weeks.
I feel we need a striker to really help us be more clinical in the attacking third and that's something I will speak with the Chairman when the transfer window re-opens in January. Unfortunately both Dongou and Sandro have been loaned out for the season, which leaves us very short upfront. "

Last edited:
Great start - He's someone that always, to me at least, seemed to read the game really well as a player so it makes sense that he'd have the smarts to be a great manager.

Great start - He's someone that always, to me at least, seemed to read the game really well as a player so it makes sense that he'd have the smarts to be a great manager.

Thanks mate, that's the reason I've decided to be him, has all the attributes to be a top manager.......hopefully I can fulfil that potential.

I've also had a great save with Barcelona 'B' this year on FM - they're great fun although I found it really frustrating winning the league and not being able to get promoted as both teams cannot be in the same league.

In my third season Xavi was moved to the 'B' team and he was incredible even at his old age.

One thing I will point out that you may not be aware of...if for example Xavi gets moved to the 'B' squad his wages (roughly £250K I think) begin to come out of your wage budget as opposed to the main squad. This will effect your control of finances attribute as you won't have a transfer budget to compensate the big hit whilst the board will not extend your wage budget.

Not sure if this will be sorted on database version 15.3

This was the issue I found and ultimately led me to become frustrated and resign after I won the league.

Nonetheless, I will follow this.

Best of luck.

I've also had a great save with Barcelona 'B' this year on FM - they're great fun although I found it really frustrating winning the league and not being able to get promoted as both teams cannot be in the same league.

In my third season Xavi was moved to the 'B' team and he was incredible even at his old age.

One thing I will point out that you may not be aware of...if for example Xavi gets moved to the 'B' squad his wages (roughly £250K I think) begin to come out of your wage budget as opposed to the main squad. This will effect your control of finances attribute as you won't have a transfer budget to compensate the big hit whilst the board will not extend your wage budget.

Not sure if this will be sorted on database version 15.3

This was the issue I found and ultimately led me to become frustrated and resign after I won the league.

Nonetheless, I will follow this.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate, appreciate the heads up. I'm using Barcelona 'B' as a club where Ledley can experiment with tactics and develop his skills, before moving onto another club.

Hope you'll enjoy.

Cheers

View attachment 281554

NOVEMBER 2014:

LIGA Adelante
2/11/14 - Miniestadi

Barcelona 'B' (1 - 0) Sporting
Ivan Hernandez O.G (47)

LIGA Adelante
9/11/14 - Benito Villamarin

Real Betis (0 - 0) Barcelona 'B'

LIGA Adelante
15/11/14 - Miniestadi

Barcelona 'B' (1 - 1) Numancia
Alen Halilovic (Pen 67)

LIGA Adelante
23/11/14 - El Toralin

Ponferradina (1 - 2) Barcelona 'B'
Diawandou Diagne (19), Maxi Rolon (56)

LIGA Adelante
29/11/14 - Miniestadi

Barcelona 'B' (1 - 0) Albacete
Maxi Rolon (93)

LEAGUE TABLE:

View attachment 281550

Ledley:
" A great month for us, as we ended November unbeaten in five games, which saw us propel up the league and away from the relegation zone. The main concern I have is that we aren't finding the back of the net more when we are dominating games, meaning that we are relying on our defence each game to keep the opposition attack under control. That said, I'm delighted with the lads and how they've responded since I took over. "

Last edited:
Dont really see many people go with the B teams for games so interesting way to start! good luck with the rest of the season!

Dont really see many people go with the B teams for games so interesting way to start! good luck with the rest of the season!

Thanks mate. Thought it would be an unusual team to begin with too. A good platform to help Ledley develop, before moving on to make his name somewhere else.

View attachment 281265

7th December 2014

CLUB STATEMENT:

The club would like to respond to recent speculation regarding the future of manager Ledley King.

We can confirm that a club, which will remain confidential, has made an approach to speak to Ledley. Upon hearing the offer, Ledley came to us and asked if he would be allowed to discuss the vacant managerial job that is available.
When we agreed that Ledley would become our new manager a few months ago, we knew it was a short term arrangement and though it looks like it hasn't lasted as long as we'd hope, we understand Ledley's wishes.

In the mean time, assistant manager Quique Alvarez will look after the team for the foreseeable future. As always we ask the fans to remain patient during this time and to ignore media rumours.

Yours in sport,

Josep Maria Bartomeu

View attachment 281248

9th December 2014

KING IN TALKS WITH NAC BREDA

Ledley King has today held talks with Dutch club NAC Breda with a view to becoming their new manager. King, who currently is in charge of Barcelona 'B' met with chairman Theo Mommers early this afternoon.

The former Tottenham defender, has only been in charge of the Spanish giants reserve side since October 2014. During his two month reign, he's lifted them from second to bottom up to 14th position in Liga Adelante. Having guided them to five wins in eight games and out of the relegation zone, it's these statistics that have encouraged NAC Breda to make the approach for King's services.

Currently sitting in last position in the Eredivisie and without a win in eighteen games, NAC Breda chairman Theo Mommers will definitely have to work his magic to tempt King into joining De Ratten, as they bid to stay in the division.

View attachment 281227

20th December 2014

DE ROTTEN APPOINT KING

NAC Breda have today appointed Ledley King as their new manager, on a one and a half year deal. The former Barcelona 'B' manager replaces Robert Maskaant, who was sacked after failing to win a single game leaving the club rooted to the foot of the table.

King, who has only been in management a few months, is delighted to be given the opportunity to work in Holland. " I had a really good meeting with Mr Mommers about his plans for NAC Breda. Yes, we are adrift at the bottom of the league, but I feel with the backing from the board to bring in some new players, we can survive the drop and being in the quarter final of the cup gives us lots to look forward too. I know it will be tough to stay up, but I've shown at Barcelona 'B' that I can turn things round quickly and have every faith in my ability to achieve those results here and then we can build for the future. "

Following the appointment of Ledley King, chairman Theo Mommers added. " Of course we are delighted Ledley has agreed to join us. He could've stayed at Barcelona 'B' and seen the season out, but with the challenges ahead, Ledley felt it was the right time to move and we believe he has the right character and determination to help us achieve our short and long term goals. "

With the winter break just beginning, it will give Ledley the chance to run the rule over the squad he has inherited and start to put in place his own ideas, before re-starting the league campaign at home against Feyenoord.

View attachment 281223

Got yourself a nice challenge there!! Will keep an eye to see how Ledley copes with the pressure