Giannis, looking forward to give the updated versions a spin.

The main attributes for this style of play I guess would be: team work, work rate, aggression, off the ball and positioning.

But I'm very interested in hearing your opinion on what the 3-4 most important attributes are for each role? Specially the WM's and SS's.

Thanks in advance.

SS must have at least...13 passing/aggility/consetration...14 acceleration/pace/of the ball/finishing and 12 teamwork work rate!
WM must have at least 13 crossing/aggility/dribling 12 teamwork/work rate 14 pace/acceleration

MR must have strong right foot...and ML must have strong left foot!

MC must have at leas 13 pace/acceleration because we have not DM!

This isn't a Simeone tactic. Your mifield isn't narrow when defending and you achieve 57% possession against barcelona.

This isn't a Simeone tactic. Your mifield isn't narrow when defending and you achieve 57% possession against barcelona.

There average possession this season in la liga is 49.8%, the last home match against osasuna they got 67% of possession, the home match against Leicester in CL 69% possession

There average possession this season in la liga is 49.8%, the last home match against osasuna they got 67% of possession, the home match against Leicester in CL 69% possession

Simeone would never have over 50% possession against barcelona. If the tactic does that against such a big team WHO LIKES possession imagine against weaker teams...

Please post your average possession in the league with this tactic...

63% possession against dortmund in an AWAY game... Forget it...

Simeone would never have over 50% possession against barcelona. If the tactic does that against such a big team WHO LIKES possession imagine against weaker teams...

I've been toying with a Simeone replication myself, also in a 4-4-2-0. In this FM, it's almost impossible to get lower possession than the opponent with this formation. I tried the lowest mentality with highest passing and pump ball into the box, complete standing off... I tried overload mentality with the lowest closing down.... Nothing helps. Even with small teams vs big teams, you almost always outpossess the opponent. It's one of the biggest flaws in FM 17. A lot of central midfielders equal lots of possession. Unfortunately.

I've been toying with a Simeone replication myself, also in a 4-4-2-0. In this FM, it's almost impossible to get lower possession than the opponent with this formation. I tried the lowest mentality with highest passing and pump ball into the box, complete standing off... I tried overload mentality with the lowest closing down.... Nothing helps. Even with small teams vs big teams, you almost always outpossess the opponent. It's one of the biggest flaws in FM 17. A lot of central midfielders equal lots of possession. Unfortunately.

What you say is probably true. In a 4-4-2 it is very dificult to achieve lower possession than the opponent but what troubles me is the fact that the wide midfielders stay wide and doesn't cut in when OUT of possession and that is a big problem because the Opponents exploit those gaps... So the question is " How can you defend with only two man occupying the middle? It is suicide...

View attachment 96715

Although I could achieve 43% possession as you can see there are too many passes for my team(bilbao) and too much shots against...

What you say is probably true. In a 4-4-2 it is very dificult to achieve lower possession than the opponent but what troubles me is the fact that the wide midfielders stay wide and doesn't cut in when OUT of possession and that is a big problem because the Opponents exploit those gaps... So the question is " How can you defend with only two man occupying the middle? It is suicide...

Yeah, that's another flaw. That's why a strikerless 4-4-2-0 is doing so well, because the AM's play behind the ball too (which strikers almost never do in FM), so there are 4 men occupying the centre. That's why a 4-4-2 with strikers is almost unplayable. Strikers who don't track back and wide midfielders who don't close the gap in the center of the pitch make you very exploitable.

If you take olympiacos and play simeone tactic and if i play with barca a 4-3-3 control I will have 65% possession if fm17! In my own game barca had valverde and played 4-5-1 counter.The instructions of the tactic do not give priority to the possession.Possession is also depends on the other team! As atletico vs leicester city! Also...Simeone plays narror midfilders/wide defenders when the opposite plays 4-3-3 wide like barca!when the opposite plays 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 simeone has wide midfilders/narror defence!Depends on the other team again!You are right that is a bug of fm2017!It should have midfilders width /defeders width/attackers width fm 2017!

Last edited:
FINAL UPDATE(first page)! FOR ME THIS IS BETTER TACTIC THAN TETE-A-TETE!(if you have suitable players!)Very close to simeone's tactic! IMPORTANT! UPDATE Opposition istructions!!! corner taker must be SS or LM! LM must be left foot/RM must be right foot!

Last edited: