A Michael Ballack - Bayer Leverkusen Story

Transfer Budget

View attachment 428550

Transfers

View attachment 428549

View attachment 428548

Objectives

I'll be realistic with this story. Won't use the knowledge I've acquired over here(at FM-base). There will be no 'particular' objectives. I'll be working to improve the team and gradually win the first German first division title for this club (hopefully will be able to stay here that long).

Last edited:
Any kind of constructive criticism/suggestion is welcome, I'd like to improve this story since my last one was a flop (Maybe because of the club I chose :p , Chelsea, one of the most hated ones).

Sweet! xD Just one recommendation, please change the title to Bayer Leverkusen;; =P

But otherwise, nice! Ballack was one player I really liked, so nice to see a story involving him. Who are you anticipating your key players to be?

Sweet! xD Just one recommendation, please change the title to Bayer Leverkusen;; =P

But otherwise, nice! Ballack was one player I really liked, so nice to see a story involving him. Who are you anticipating your key players to be?
Bender is a given, Werner is a great Striker prospect in Germany (A position where NT has struggled). I'll be looking to get the best out of these guys, also the GK looks great. I have my eyes on Fabian Schar for January/Next year. Leverkusen have some great youth prospects, Oztunali, Emre Can, Son-Hieung Min. Rest as the players will perform, they'll get their chances. (I won't care about PA/CA stats since I'm hoping to make this realistic, some players with low PA/CA perform well).

Leverkusen has a good attack, would be a nice story to follow.

I had an unemployed save and was just hired by Leverkusen in my 3rd season.
My key players are
Leno
Stafylidis
Toprak
Bender
Reinartz
Can
Sam

Son has been sold.. Palop has retired.
Still trying to figure out the team..
Would like to see how you pan yours out.

Name is still Bayern Leverkusen...

And yeah, I agree, Son Hieung Min grows to be a monster, if used constantly;;

Just when I thought I was done with transfer business

View attachment 428215

He told me this by the time most clubs were done with transfers, only Manchester United were interested in him but were only bidding ~12-13M, so I said I'll let him go next season.

Last edited:
Good luck mate, look forward to see how Emre Can turns out.
Now that Bender is asking for a move, I'll be looking to integrate Emre Can more and focus on his development, hoping he won't ask for a move one day.

August 2013

View attachment 428179

4th August, 2013 | Sunday

View attachment 428176
A good solid win to start off my career, would've liked to score a few more against a third division side. They had no ambition going forward, ended up with zero total shots.

10th August, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428178
They were happy to defend and knock off long shots, had only one shot on target from set-piece and it went it. Still they caused us for too difficulty for my liking. (For a team who's predicted to finish last, that is)

18th August, 2013 | Sunday

View attachment 428175
Friedburg surprised everyone by finishing 5th last year, they surprised us even more. Despite the game being played at BayArena, it was like they were playing a home game and we were playing an away game. They dominated the match, had more chances and shots. Freidburg had feeding frenzy on the counter, my defenders were horrible.

24th August, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428174

View attachment 428173
I wasn't too keen to face Bayern in my first month as a manager, we were very lucky to escape a draw.

31st August, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428172
They played very well and camped in my half most of the time in first half, I went with the wrong strategy and they made me pay (albeit from set-pieces only). I barely had a sneak at their goal for first 50-60 minutes, after that I exploited their high line fully on the counter, ended the match with more chances and shots than Dortmund. Sidney Sam's superb long range Free Kick was undoubtedly a highlight of this match.

End of the month thoughts
I had to face both German Giants in my first month, and arguably my most difficult game of the season, to finishing this month unbeaten is a great achievement. There were some nerve wrecking moments and some joyous moments. I'm happy with the start of my managing career.

Bundesliga Table

View attachment 428169

Last edited:
View attachment 428160

Group Stage Draw

View attachment 428158 View attachment 428154

View attachment 428157 View attachment 428152

View attachment 428156 View attachment 428153

View attachment 428155 View attachment 428149
We probably got the toughest group of all, group of death. I honestly don't think we have a realistic shot at going to last 16, but there's always hope we might pull out some surprise results.

Elsewhere

View attachment 428148

View attachment 428147
A match between my former teams, I'd have obviously liked if Chelsea would've won it.

Last edited:
September

View attachment 428113

14th September, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428112
The match was a tough battle, KieBling missed two great chances but put the third one away just when he was going to be subbed off, referee was horribly biased, they injured two of my players, even got a wrong penalty, but Bernd Leno saved it and was named POTM.

17th September, 2013 | Tuesday
(European Champions Cup, Group C)

View attachment 428111
Simeone fielded a 4-2-4, I overloaded the midfield and isolated their forward. They had zero shots on goal from open play. David Villa's penalty was saved by Leno, the kid's been the star in last two of my games.

21st September, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428110
And the fairytale continues, HSV played quite well and forced me to back foot, just when I was staring at my first defeat, Kruse who had just come on in 80th minute equalized on a counter-attack. Oztunali then scored the winner against his former side.

25th September, 2013 | Wednesday
(German Cup, 2nd Round)

View attachment 428109
Were cruised to win here, regardless of the scoreline. The game looked over in first half, although team did get lethargic in second half. The O.G. was hilarious, FK was taken from almost half line, the kick was going away for goal, Rolfes just wanted to score. They got a penalty from set-piece scramble, Palop was playing and he couldn't save it.

28th September, 2013 | Saturday

View attachment 428108
Hoffenheim are sitting bottom of the table with no wins. Derdiyok scored from a set-piece (set-piece defending his horrible in recent patch) and Rudy's goal was result of some hilarious defending and goalkeeping from my side. (I usually forget to change the GK whenever I play backup GK, Leno might've saved the shot for second goal).

Manager's thoughts at the end of the month

I'm enjoying the start, the team is buying into my methodology. The fighting mentality they're showing to not give is the way I want them to play. A good result against Atletico in an away game, Leno saved us in two games by saving penalties, deserves a special mention.

Bundesliga Table

View attachment 428107

Last edited:
I'm kind of experimenting with layout, any kind of suggestions are welcome.