Arsenal vs Manchester United / May 1st - 14:05

How come nobody mentioned that Hernandez did nothing again. Even Owen was better than his today. The "great" partnership between Chicharito and Rooney has only 1 goal in the last 4 premiership rounds. This result and maybe title over is/would be only SAF's fault. Why keeping the league top goalscorer on the bench again .. ?

Berbatov has been injured, I think he had a groin strain and possibly couldn't have played from the start. Also, I have read that SAF is planning to give Berbatov and Owen starts against Schalke. In between those league games, Hernandez has scored twice against Chelsea, and Rooney has scored against Schalke - the partnership has been working well

How come nobody mentioned that Hernandez did nothing again. Even Owen was better than his today. The "great" partnership between Chicharito and Rooney has only 1 goal in the last 4 premiership rounds. This result and maybe title over is/would be only SAF's fault. Why keeping the league top goalscorer on the bench again .. ?

berbatov was injured and barely made the bench....oh and has only scored 4 goals away from home

Roooneyyy.... 1-0.
Edit:
Planing ahead.

Sigh.

And no more Woichisz Szcehczny ..... I'm going to learn it... it's Wojciech Szczesny, great goalkeeping. MOTD easily. Good win for Arsenal, hope we'll bounce back against Chelsea. Next stop, OT and semi-final vs Schalke.

Hernandez was ineffective because we played very negative tactics, Rooney was denied time on the ball to influence anything, and Hernandez had next to nothing to feed on. He is played over Berbatov because Berbatov has different qualities, and Rooney-Hernandez has been working better. Arsenal started to defend deep reducing Chicharito's effectiveness, hence why Berbatov was brought on.

How do you expect him to play well when it was mostly him and Rooney vs. 2 or 5 of Arsenal? I believe the idea was to use Hernandez's pace on the counter, but we struggled to be a threat even on the counter. Poor performance all round.

Just saw this on MOTD. Yes! What a win for Arsenal and Chelsea, and for us really. Ramsey played well and finished well under pressure. Should of been a penalty at both ends though, no doubt about it.

all the talk leading up to the game was of rooney's fine form and hernandez' scoring spree and about how ji sung park always gets picked for big games and plays so well in the big games because he's a big game player. back down to earth for man u!

ramsey and wilshere were immense.

Justice for us evertonians who had the two penalties turned down :D

Berbatov has been injured, I think he had a groin strain and possibly couldn't have played from the start. Also, I have read that SAF is planning to give Berbatov and Owen starts against Schalke. In between those league games, Hernandez has scored twice against Chelsea, and Rooney has scored against Schalke - the partnership has been working well

I am talking only about Premier League games. 0-0 v Newcastle, 1-0 v Everton (Hernandez), 0-1 v Arsenal ..

Hernandez was ineffective because we played very negative tactics, Rooney was denied time on the ball to influence anything, and Hernandez had next to nothing to feed on. He is played over Berbatov because Berbatov has different qualities, and Rooney-Hernandez has been working better. Arsenal started to defend deep reducing Chicharito's effectiveness, hence why Berbatov was brought on.

How do you expect him to play well when it was mostly him and Rooney vs. 2 or 5 of Arsenal? I believe the idea was to use Hernandez's pace on the counter, but we struggled to be a threat even on the counter. Poor performance all round.

Even during the first half when Arsenal had better possesion stats and not defending deep, Chicharito had 0 ( zero) effectiveness.. hence I dont know why you like so much Hernandez .Obviously he is not in great form lately. To me he is still an average player with maybe bright future, but now he should be used as a lucky sub .. like Solskjaer :)

I am talking only about Premier League games. 0-0 v Newcastle, 1-0 v Everton (Hernandez), 0-1 v Arsenal ..

Even during the first half when Arsenal had better possesion stats and not defending deep, Chicharito had 0 ( zero) effectiveness.. hence I dont know why you like so much Hernandez .Obviously he is not in great form lately. To me he is still an average player with maybe bright future, but now he should be used as a lucky sub .. like Solskjaer :)

It makes absolutely no sense to say a player isn't in form and base this only on premier league games, when he has been in form during the games in between. Defenders fear the pace of Hernandez and drop deeper, giving Rooney more space to work in. They are a good partnership and compliment one another well. Most of Berbatovs goals have been at old trafford as well, and he was carrying an injury

I'm sorry but that is way way off the mark. Solskjaer was not lucky sub or just superb sub. He was superb player. He was excellent even as right winger.

Apart from yesterday, when was the last time you can honestly say Hernandez had a poor game? He's arguably been the signing of the season and has scored 12 goals in his first season in the Premier League whilst still being quite young.

He's an excellent player and he offers more than Berbatov, including an excellent partnership with Rooney who has made the most of the No. 10 role he's been deployed in this season (Q. for Utd fans - Is he in the new role to get the best out of Hernandez, or because he couldn't score for toffee at the start of the season until Jan/Feb?)

Apart from yesterday, when was the last time you can honestly say Hernandez had a poor game? He's arguably been the signing of the season and has scored 12 goals in his first season in the Premier League whilst still being quite young.

He's an excellent player and he offers more than Berbatov, including an excellent partnership with Rooney who has made the most of the No. 10 role he's been deployed in this season (Q. for Utd fans - Is he in the new role to get the best out of Hernandez, or because he couldn't score for toffee at the start of the season until Jan/Feb?)

I think it has always been his best position. Rooney has always had excellent vision and great passing, but he shares these qualities with Berbatov. When the two play together Wayne's versatility means he plays in a more advanced position. Berbatov is just as good a foil for Hernandez, but Rooney's work ethic means that he will usually get the nod over Berbatov. Also, with Rooney on the pitch we are able to switch to a 4-3-3 comfortably

I think it has always been his best position. Rooney has always had excellent vision and great passing, but he shares these qualities with Berbatov. When the two play together Wayne's versatility means he plays in a more advanced position. Berbatov is just as good a foil for Hernandez, but Rooney's work ethic means that he will usually get the nod over Berbatov. Also, with Rooney on the pitch we are able to switch to a 4-3-3 comfortably

But he scored 30 goals from a more advanced position last season is all. Seems odd to change something that works so well and I wondered if SAF was trying to compensate for his lack of goals by switching to a 4-2-3-1 of sorts with Rooney as a no. 10 having less pressure to score goals as the main striker.

Obviously it works, though.

What exactly do you expect him to do when we don't have any possession, no one is getting the ball to him and he was constantly outnumbered by numerous defenders? His Goals per Minute and Goals per Shots on target speak for itself.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

But he scored 30 goals from a more advanced position last season is all. Seems odd to change something that works so well and I wondered if SAF was trying to compensate for his lack of goals by switching to a 4-2-3-1 of sorts with Rooney as a no. 10 having less pressure to score goals as the main striker.

Obviously it works, though.

It's not like he's been short of goalscoring from this position either, though. And I think he is doing it to get the best from Hernandez, but Rooney is equally comfortable playing from deep or more advanced. So it's logical to play him deep.

The only season where Rooney was consistently goal threat. Actually it was not his best season either. Last season we lacked goal scoring midfielder/striker, hence Rooney took the role. Before that season and this season, Rooney was always at his best playing #10 role. This season despite missing so many games coz of injury and off the field problems he has scored 12 and assisted 14, which is as good as Tevez, that is when Rooney is having relatively quiet season.

Rooney as a #9 is a waste of talent. He has such a good work rate, passing, vision which is all wasted when played as #9, as he can't drop deep to link up the play and use his passing to maximum.