Who to Replace Rooney? Capello's Dilemma After Red Mist

Im not debating his quality and what he would bring to England because its obvious what he could bring, but as a coach you have to look at the bigger picture. Say Rooney goes he will take him plus 3 other strikers, Rooney cant play the first 3 games and what if 2 strikers get injured???? Then what??? I have finally come to the conclusion that England are not over achieving and we are not under achieving either. This is what we are, a quarter final place is a decent tournement for us i totally believe that now. If thats the case they Rooney would only play one game so arguably its a waste of a space isent it??

He'd play 2. Rooney's unique talent justifies his inclusion.

Any other country would do the same tbh. If Messi was banned 3 games, he'd still go along regardless. Players with such gifted talents simply cannot be left behind

He'd play 2. Rooney's unique talent justifies his inclusion.

Any other country would do the same tbh. If Messi was banned 3 games, he'd still go along regardless. Players with such gifted talents simply cannot be left behind

Maybe so but his record in tournements for England isen't that great (granted none of the players record is great either).

Maybe so but his record in tournements for England isen't that great (granted none of the players record is great either).

I blame Barry myself

But I have a feeling they're going to go all out this time. For some players, this could be the last chance to win a major tournament, or at least not reach the final, but go out with a meaningful performance.

So, we're leaving 90% of the team at home then?

There is alot of players from the WC i wouldnt take yes. Green, Barry, Lampard and Gerrard to name a few.

Gerrard? you'd leave behind one of the few players who can fill Rooney's spot?

Tbf he was injured in two of them and he was England's best player in 2004.

Leroy Lita.

Yeah. An outsider I grant, but noone knows what he can do!

Gerrard? you'd leave behind one of the few players who can fill Rooney's spot?

Yes i would, this team needs to move on simple as that. There are players who can fill that void easily. Young and Wilshere being two of them.

Tbf he was injured in two of them and he was England's best player in 2004.

Arguably England's best player in 04 not definate. Englands win percentage (although much less games) without Rooney is better too but obivously you would have to look at the opponents/competitiveness of the game etc. Im just saying we can't/shouldn't pin out hopes on one player, there are other alternatives out there.

Yes i would, this team needs to move on simple as that. There are players who can fill that void easily. Young and Wilshere being two of them.

Arguably England's best player in 04 not definate. Englands win percentage (although much less games) without Rooney is better too but obivously you would have to look at the opponents/competitiveness of the game etc. Im just saying we can't/shouldn't pin out hopes on one player, there are other alternatives out there.

neither of them are as good. No point moving on for the sake of it. he is still good enough for the Euros

neither of them are as good. No point moving on for the sake of it. he is still good enough for the Euros

England should be in a transtitional period. Germany done it at the World Cup and they are 2nd favourates for this tournement and looking very good. England need to move on without a dount. Ok personly if fully fit and depending on the type of season he had i would take Gerrard for expirience and the other obvious reasons but would i start him.... NO. If the Euro's started tomorrow my first 11 would be: Hart, Cole, Terry, Jones, Walker, Parker, Cleverley, Sturridge (wide right), Wilshere (Rooney role), Young (wide left) and Bent. A great mixture of youth and expirience, pace and strength.

England should be in a transtitional period. Germany done it at the World Cup and they are 2nd favourates for this tournement and looking very good. England need to move on without a dount. Ok personly if fully fit and depending on the type of season he had i would take Gerrard for expirience and the other obvious reasons but would i start him.... NO. If the Euro's started tomorrow my first 11 would be: Hart, Cole, Terry, Jones, Walker, Parker, Cleverley, Sturridge (wide right), Wilshere (Rooney role), Young (wide left) and Bent. A great mixture of youth and expirience, pace and strength.

No germany did 2 years before the world cup, and mixed the old with the new by the world cup, that doesnt mean keen jerk dropping pre euros, it means thinking after Euros. Funny how you keep the experienced Chelsea players... WE have two players who can play rooneys role, gerrard and wilshere. If anything you would start wilshere at CM and Gerrard behind him. There is no case unless he is injured and out of form to drop him before the Euros.

If England get a easyish group and go through then you have Rooney fit and firing for the knock-out stage . So it may work out better?

No germany did 2 years before the world cup, and mixed the old with the new by the world cup, that doesnt mean keen jerk dropping pre euros, it means thinking after Euros. Funny how you keep the experienced Chelsea players... WE have two players who can play rooneys role, gerrard and wilshere. If anything you would start wilshere at CM and Gerrard behind him. There is no case unless he is injured and out of form to drop him before the Euros.

Its got nothing to do with Chelsea at all, personly i'd rather no Chelsea players go to the Euro's so they have a full summer off so thats where your logic fails. Terry is the captain and still has alot to give and Cole is still the best LB in the country. If Rio was still captain and didnt pick up so many injurys which is unfortunate then i would have put him in insted of Terry. These players need tournement expirience, playing these friendlys against Spain will not help them full stop. No matter what happens in that game it is still a friendly. We (for snobby reasons from our FA) dont take part in the Home Nations tournement so qualifiers (which can be abit easy and drab) aside the Euro's is the only place these lads can gain proper International tournement expirience.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

If England get a easyish group and go through then you have Rooney fit and firing for the knock-out stage . So it may work out better?

But then how does Z player feel if he has played all 3 group games really well and then gets shunted out the team because Rooney is back?? That wouldn't be too great for morale would it.

Its got nothing to do with Chelsea at all, personly i'd rather no Chelsea players go to the Euro's so they have a full summer off so thats where your logic fails. Terry is the captain and still has alot to give and Cole is still the best LB in the country. If Rio was still captain and didnt pick up so many injurys which is unfortunate then i would have put him in insted of Terry. These players need tournement expirience, playing these friendlys against Spain will not help them full stop. No matter what happens in that game it is still a friendly. We (for snobby reasons from our FA) dont take part in the Home Nations tournement so qualifiers (which can be abit easy and drab) aside the Euro's is the only place these lads can gain proper International tournement expirience.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

But then how does Z player feel if he has played all 3 group games really well and then gets shunted out the team because Rooney is back?? That wouldn't be too great for morale would it.

Jones hasnt even displaced Ferdinand at United. Ashley Cole is 30, Gerrard is 31, why drop the latter when he is our best AMC after Rooney? You'd make any changes like these AFTER. Rio would start if he was fit, that is the only question around him, becuase when fit he is still better than Jones, in fact Jones and Smalling are learning him, both for club and country